Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have those models we never ever wanna use cuz they a waste of points. Things that just arent worth it. What do u think is the most useless model in the 40k universe?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
fenrisian wolves and ripper swarms

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Fenrisian wolves are far from useless.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Vanlilla Marine Servitors

·
Registered
40 Posts
I find ripper swarms aren't that useless.. they fill up troops quite easily and for the wounds they have they can tie up things in close combat, and are relatively cheap.
i agree, rippers follow the same basis as Necron Scarabs and one time, i lost something like two full Marine squad to 10 scarabs

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I killed a CSM Daemon Prince with Scarab Swarms once in a single round of combat on turn 1, it was epic. In 4th ed. you used to get bonuses for out numbering in combat resolution, sweet.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
yea you never get cought in combat with swarms because they will eat you up. im curious do swarms suffer from instant death rule like other models that have multiple wounds that arent swarm im asuming yes. but yea i dont go charging my daemon prince into ripper swarms thats just stupid. besides if that was the case arent ripper swarms only T3? if thats so then the daemon prince inflicts instant death to the whole ripper base so the whole model dies it doesnt take a wound. that would make it hard for rippers to get maximum attacks back considering 3rd ed daemon princes were far more lethal. i dont know what your rippers S is but you wouldnt have enough attacks left to hit on fors and wound on 5/6 considering rippers Strength. not to menchin 3rd edition Daemon Princes also had the otion for 2+ armor saves so i highly doubt that to be possible unless the daemon prince was wounded down to one wound and he just happend to have a bad roll considering that you probably got 1-2 attacks that wounded.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Swarms suffer ID like anything else, unless they are things like Nurglings that have EW. Each ID wound kills a whole base, allowing MCs to make short work of most swarms.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I think I mentioned 4th ed. quite distinctly. It was in a game from about 3 years ago against a GW Manager, who was a little miffed and even more so when the Scarabs then went on to eat his tanks as well.

CSM won in the end because they had a single unit of Raptors that could rolling-consolidate from unit to unit to trigger Phase Out. Nothing else in the CSM army could touch me. That was one of the best changes brought in by 5th ed. I think.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
ah 4th ed was back when necron were still fearful opponets. back when you could kill tanks on glancing hits on 6s. those were the good days. my friend plays crons and he is pissed that its not a special rule for crons to still kill on glancing hits. but yea that makes since the 4th edtion princes arent as good as 3rd but we still have lash. sorry i got you confused every once in a while when people say 4th ed i think of the 3rd edition codex, my bad i should have understood that you are talking about the current codex for chaos.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well for worst points/actual value model in the game, witch hunters repentia, they are just awful. No transport, 4+ save and only T3 means none will actually make it into combat, and even if they some how do, I1 means most will be dead before they hit back due to the aforementioned average save and low T. All this makes for a very poor unit, but it gets worse, you have almost no control as to their movement so a smart player will be just running them round all day getting shot at and then to rub salt in the wound, they cost a hell of a lot of points to take them. If there is an upside to the weird sisters then please tell me, but no....just no.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Ammo runts are awesome with Big Mek Shokk Attakk guns and Big Gunz Kannons.

Most useless? Hmm...that's different from simply 'worst', because many units that are overcosted can still be effective (Flash Gitz and such).

I'm going to have to second Fenrisian Wolves. The problem is, they're just too damn easy to panic with tank shock, they're unlikely to ever regroup, and all the infantry in the Space Wolf army is superior.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd probably say the most useless model is the Vespid Stingwing. It's overcosted, has mediocre metal models, has less than optimal stats for its role and worst of all its place in the Tau Codex is severly limited seeing as how somewhere along the line GW decided that they were going to be a fast assault unit thats great at shooting....and the sad part is even with their guns it's not really that great. IIRC their guns are S5 AP3 Assault 1; with only BS3 and a relatively short range it's a harassment unit that will get shredded without much effort or thought by many competent opponents, whether in assault or range; I5 won't save you when you only have S3, 1 attack and a 5+ save. It's sad hat GW's logic in terms of making units worthwhile is by saying "Hey let's give them AP3 guns! GENIUS!" and then jacking up the price to the point where its not even worth it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
You should give this more of an interesting scale. What's the most useless unit in each army, now that should have some fun responses.

Of the armies I play I submit the following:

Imperial Guard: Penal Troops, eventhough I love the idea 80 points for a unit of 10 with those states and no transport. I don't EVEN think so. I think they would have worked better as a type of Conscript swarm with maybe CCWs, bought in packs from 20 to 50 and basically used to tie up enemy units while the tanks and such pound the the enemy into mush, but I'm sorry just ten guys with those stats for those points nope, I don't think so.

Orks: Warbuggies

I just can't see paying 30 points to carry a BS2 gun on a paper macheie chassis.

Space Marines:

I just finished my Crimson Fists so I haven't had a chance to play them yet (this is the first edition I will be playing Space Marines since 2nd Edition). So I can't give an answer on this one.

Eldar:

I'm going with someone elses answer of this one and say The Shining Spears. They have power weapons in the first of combat if they charge, but if they charge they only get 2 hits a piece and when you only have a unit 3 to 5 that's not a lot. Then the enemy retaliates and eventhough the have the defense stats of Space Marines, (T3(4) and a 3+ armour save) when you only have a handful of guys it not's going to take any enemy above a Guardsmen to long to finish you off. Oh but if you have the Exarch you can use the hit and run rule! They're such the warriors! Then you have their range weapon, the Laser Lance. Absolutely disgraceful short range and eventhough it's a S6 Lance you'll still have a great deal of trouble popping vehicles with only 3 to 5 guys (and without an Exarch) 5 of them cost 175 points!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
^^^ I know a guy who runs 6 units of penal troops in 2000 points. Ive never seen him lose with that army. Not knowing what unit has what SR pacage is a pain, unless you can count on haveing at least one of each, in witch case they work together VICIOUSLY. Although, to be fair, its worth mentioning they were backed up by an executioner most games. But they still did work.

Anyway, most useless guys. I'm going to go out on a limb and say tech-priests. 40 points for a guy that can fix mah tanks! Only, to make him efective he needs three servitors at 10 points a pice, so now he's 75 points. At T3, DEAD so fast. Although the fact that everyone knows this sometimes saves him from getting shot at, but that just shouldnt count... But wait! He can take a pair of servitors with multi-meltas or plasmacannons! =D... at 30-40 points for each one. D= 105 points for a three man unit with two multi-meltas at T3? No... just no. The model itself however, is one sexy chunk of metal. I run one for that reason alone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts