1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Oh, no... no... those people are our special guests. Who are going to fucking eat the pork chops we make for them and they're going to enjoy them. Bunch of ungrateful cunts, if you ask me.

But in all seriousness, who cares? They haven't been charged with anything because even though we know they're involved with plotting to kill American citizens in the name of Islam, there's not actually anything on the books we can charge them with. It's a weird legal limbo. They're basically prisoners of war, but they're not part of a formal military so the Geneva Conventions don't apply. Since we don't want to make them 'martyrs' (in the sense of the word as a euphemism for getting yourself killed while trying to take as many infidels with you as possible) by just taking them out behind the tool shed and having an 'accident' with grandaddy's shotgun, we're left with the choice of just indefinitely imprisoning these idiots. As far as I'm concerned, we should just duct tape these guys to random bits of unexploded ordinance we're disposing of anyway, and be done with it... who cares if they think they're getting 72 virgins? Everybody wins at that point. They get blown the fuck up, and we don't have to keep the goat fuckers alive any longer than we already have.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know you and I aren't going to agree on this Horus however:

If it was 165 odd American citizens being treated this way by China WW3 would have erupted by now, that's why you should care.

As for knowing they were plotting to harm America in the name of Islam... is this like you "knew" that Iraq had WMD's.... or actually know? You can "know" all you want but until you actually have evidence then what you are doing is illegal.

It's complete hypocrisy by the States to go about Freedom, Justice and Human Rights abuses by other countries, invade them, sanction them and otherwise act like they are some sort of Moral Higher Judge when this is going on. To keep them alive is just a sick twisted act, if you an't going to prosecute them and won't let them go just slot them already. If I was in their shoes I'd be on hunger strike hoping to die as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Heh, when Obama took office he tried to close that down. He had a deal worked out that we would take some of them into the US prison systems to figure out what to do with them. The rest would have went to Germany and some other country I can't remember at the moment. The other two countries would not agree to take them unless we first took some into the US. The Senators in the districts that the prisons in consideration for it pitched a shitfit and the whole thing ended up falling thru. Since then it's been a clusterfuck with Congress pretty much shutting any attempt down while at the same time having a fit that it is open.

Why Obama can't close Guantánamo ? Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

Political Barriers Stand Between Obama and Closing Guantanamo Facility - NationalJournal.com

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
As for knowing they were plotting to harm America in the name of Islam... is this like you "knew" that Iraq had WMD's.... or actually know? You can "know" all you want but until you actually have evidence then what you are doing is illegal.
We knew that because we keep great records about what we sell to despots.

It's complete hypocrisy by the States to go about Freedom, Justice and Human Rights abuses by other countries, invade them, sanction them and otherwise act like they are some sort of Moral Higher Judge when this is going on.
Agree here, the people in Gitmo should have been placed on trail a LONG time ago. It begs the question "why are they still there?" as any information they have would be extremely out of date.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
But in all seriousness, who cares? They haven't been charged with anything because even though we know they're involved with plotting to kill American citizens in the name of Islam, there's not actually anything on the books we can charge them with.
I don't know how serious your all seriousness is, but you should care. If you take the stance that yo shouldn't care because it's not you, then fine I guess. But what tiff it was you being held by China, Iran, North Korea or whatever ever new enemy the USA has today in a similar situation? You would want people to care then, but oh wait even though you may be innocent but because the county 'knows' you are a threat to security then I guess it's okay.

And second you can't know. If you did know they should be judged in a court of law since the evidence would be their to support what you know. At best its most likely they are connected with plots to blow up America, but you can't know.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Part of the reason we can not put some to trial is simply there is no body for them. US court, military tribunal, and world court do not really have jurisdiction over any of them. The USA had been trying to release as many of them as we can, quite a few who were released have been killed or recaptured fighting in Afghanistan.

I think it 2 eventually decided to use a military tribunal in these cases but don't quote me on that.

Might I also remind some folks that the US not the only target of these people and their organisations. Spain and the UK have also been attacked. Maybe it's the huge ocean between that numbs feelings or the fact that the down under was a large scale gitmo that harbors ill will towards what had happened in the GWOT.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
They do not deserve a standard trial. This should be a form of a military trial if any thing. I personally, couldnt give a shit less about any one who's in there. Dont want to eat? Fine, starve. Saves on food costs.
On the flip side, I do believe they should be treated humanely. That group that got busted putting colars on the inmates, posing them naked or with a leash. That should be punished. Other than that, give them a military form of a trial and then either shoot/release them. If they are caught doing actions against americans in deployment or at home, then they forfit all rights and should be shot instead imprisoned again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts