Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am fielding three Mortis Dreads in an upcoming Apoc 1st CO DW/Sallies vs. Orks, game.

I currently have 2X TLAC and 1x TLHB. Am considering going three of one or tthe other. Considering the TLHB it'll be 18 possible shots per turn as opposed to the 12 from the TLAC. S5 vs S7, Ap remains the same.

So what are your thoughts, am also fielding 4x TLLC/ML Dreads & 3x MM Dreads for the heavier AV's.

18 S5 vs. 12 S7

·
Registered
257 Posts
I personally thought about this as well, wether or not to take the Mortis Dreads with TLAC. My personal opinion would be to take the Heavy Bolters because yeah str 7 is great against light armor, but most of the time you will be wasting the high str on lower toughness models.

Let me do some quick math.

12 str 7 shots - (12*0.667)+[(12*0.333)*0.667]= 10.67 hits
toughness 5 or less equates 2+ to wound -- 10.67*0.833 = 8.89 saves to be rolled

18 str 5 shots - (18*0.667)+[(18*0.333)*0.667]= 16 hits
toughness 5 equates 4+ to wound -- 16*0.5 = 8 saves to be rolled
toughness 4 equates 3+ to wound -- 16*0.667 = 10.67 saves to be rolled
toughness 3 equates 2+ to wound -- 16*0.833 = 13.33 saves to be rolled

That quick math illistrates shotting 'most' units that aren't MCs or Armor.

Against armor, well, I don't think I need to do the math to show that the TLAC will be better. So the question now becomes... if you are shotting lots of armor... TLAC is your best choice... if its troop you will be shotting... pick the average toughness of said troop and look at the math. Problem solved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I've a solution

Buy parts for both setups.

If I am looking at a Green Tide of 1000+ Footslogers I'll take the TLHB. If I am looking at lots of Trucks, Kult of Speed, etc I'll take the TLAC. Seems as the best tradeoff.

Though the Libbi in me is thinking the TLAC might be what I end up using.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Another important factor in the dual tl-Autocannon's favor is the additional full foot of range. The extra shots for the Heavy Bolters don't mean a thing if the target is 36.02" away from the Mortis. It also allows them to stand back and pound on Lootas with no fear of retaliatory fire. Autocannon wound Nob Bikerz on a 2+. And since I despise Nobz that's a win right there.:victory:

It's just a question of flexibility to my mind. HBs are only really useful against infantry with a small ability to damage AV10. Autocannon work on any target lighter than AV14 tanks. Combined with the extra range I can't imagine choosing anything other than the Autocannon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.