Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Well, I was trying to work out if that was even possible, let alone legal; Svartmetal, you're not using the 1962 Compendium are you? I know Tor said he'd prefer the Almanac, but that doesm't mean you can use it. Dangerously close to polyesmerism indeed, because of course the Hammersmith and City Line is debarred. And there's no way I can see of making that move without the Hammersmith and City.

I suggest as a gentlemen's compromise (apologes to any ladies playing, just a figure of speech), that we take Svartmetal's last move as being Shepherd's Bush, and I'll pay him my renders from Holland Park, which are still in force. As, I think, I'm the only one who loses out in any significant way with this compromise, I trust it's acceptable? Of course, it actually puts Svartmetal in a slightly better position, and with 4 more tokens, but I think I'll live!

BTW, Svartmetal, bold move and I do love a classic Traverse (my favourite is the Earl's Court Gambit, but Furtwangler's series are also stunning moves). Shame you hadn't noticed the time discrepancy is all.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well, I really didn't want to do this, as some may consider it cheap. But under 1962, I'm pretty sure it's completely legal. At least, it was when it was used in the past under similar circumstances.

It'd have to be a classic reverse Baron's Court Gambit and I'll take Camden Town, thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
This feels like a setup, but... Mornington Crescent?

EDIT: shit, i knew it was too good to be true, i forgot about Skipton Mallet's Skipton Mallet rule in the 62 Compendium, i'm too depressed to offer an alternative. Go back to Camden Town...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
let's see.

under the precedent set down in 2001 by Simpson Matthews with regards to a reverse shunt I'll call

Heathrow... terminal 4

That should quite nicely enable the verimous laxation curve until we see a sideways buffer.
If I didn't know better, I'd suspect you were trying to make a run for it, or even take the game to international grounds.
To prevent this and get the game back on track, as it were, I'll have to go against my initial plan and copy the late and great General Pilkinton and call West Kensington.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Oh well played all round. Wizzwang, I'm with you, I was quite prepared to offer Reykyavik or Prague next, to keep the barbarians at arm's length, but it was not to be...

Tor, some bold attacks and desperate defences there, jolly fine footwork; Svartmetall, brutal play sir, some very neat manouevres; Warlokked, how you snuck up at the end to come from practically no-where I don't know, it was a joy to behold. Well done, all of you.

Who's to serve?

·
Registered
992 Posts
right, i think i have got it understood now, so please do not laugh:
the objective is to get to MC right, and you do this by travling along the tube line?
you can only move X stations a turn, and can not land on a station someone else is on? or you must move from the last station mentioned, trying to prevent an opponent reching MC whilst reching it yourself?
am i missing anything here?

edit-wow, ninja'd!

·
Registered
992 Posts
oh i dont know... liverpool street?

also, if my random guessing ruins the game, feel free to hit me with the naughty stick.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Old Street?
Then once again following in the footsteps of the late, great Gen. Pilkington (Something of a personal role-model of mine) in the 1971 Eastbound Cup, I would have to play the highly underrated Allen curve, calling Blackfriars

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Ah, gazzumped. And as I was congratulating Warlokked on his fine use of the Allen Curve too.

I request a momentary pause in proceedings gentlemen!

Oh popsicles... Marylebone, where to play after Marylebone?

Argh! So close, but just out of reach (damn you wizzwang, the Central was mine - except for the bit that was Svartmetall's, of course)!

Euston!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Euston - that was a fine choice.

I'll use the Hesselthwaite crossover (that's the 1937 variation, not the rather more vulgar 1936 monstrosity) to play Vauxhall.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts