Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From BoLS by way of Faeit:

The Ghostkeel is an elite choice that comes with 2 stealth drones for each Ghostkeel. It’s a Jet Pack Monstrous Creature, and you can take 1-3. It has the normal Tau BS 3 with 4 wounds, but only a T5. However the 3+ save with +2 to it’s cover save outside of 12″ should make up for it.

The main gun- Fusion Collider is an 18″ S8 AP1 melta blast gun that can be exchanged for a Ion weapon that is more infantry based with a S7AP4 Assault 6 gun that can overcharge for additional strength and a large blast.

It also has a twin- linked flamer that can be exchanged out for a TL bust cannon or fusion blaster.

The model has gear that doubles the cover saves to a max of +2 but also gains shrouded from it’s drones. It seems powerful with stealth, shrouded, and the limited doubling, but I have not had time to read the details to see what stacks.

Two support systems are also allowed for upgrades. Cost wise its a little over a hundred and a quarter.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Love it! I want one of those for my display. Nice to finally see something new and cool from GW rather than endless Stormcast and Khornates.

LotN

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I also noticed the tau battlesuit commander is not available anymore so one of those is probably a new commander variant

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's only half the abilities. There's a second page with the stealth drones. Basically what those say is they give stealth to a unit that doesn't have stealth, shrouded to a unit that already does. Of course, this ALREADY offers ambiguity to new rules, because it suggests (since the Ghostkeel has stealth automatically) that other units without stealth can benefit from the drone somehow.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Nice model, very tough to kill via shooting but like venomlust said, seems pretty light weight guns wise compared with some of these other suits we are seeing. Looks wise I think that's my favourite out of the new breed of Tau super suit.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice model, very tough to kill via shooting but like venomlust said, seems pretty light weight guns wise compared with some of these other suits we are seeing.

I don't agree, honestly. If you think about it, the Ghostkeel probably has superior firepower. Now, obviously it doesn't have the Destroyer-Shotgun that the Stormsurge has, but I still find that the SS's firepower is underwhelming for its points. Its missiles are no more interesting than squads of fire warriors, and all of its other weapons are standard besides the main gun, and as a LoW, it SHOULD have an interesting main gun. But its range is strange, and the more I listen to people, the more I see theories that match my own, that the Stormsurge will become a fancy Basilisk.

The Ghostkeel, meanwhile, can be a major tank hunter, with access to 2 melta shots per model, hidden behind a 2++ cover save. Or, and this is what I'm more excited about, a really strong anti-horde unit by tacking on an Ion Raker. The Raker is basically letting you fire 6 half-range Missile Pods, with the option to upgrade to a single blast Seeker Missile (not quite. Honestly overcharge seems weak). That's a lot of firepower, especially in a squad of 3 (which you'd use in comparison to a single Stormsurge). Add on a burst cannon or even stick with the flamer, and the GK is a strong contender for thinning out any squads, forcing saves and such.

It doesn't have the range of the Broadside, but it's got a bit more durability, and access to more support systems. The only thing it's lacking is a way of getting close to targets. As MCs you can't attach it to a Farsight bomb or even Shadowsun for infiltrate.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Some info on the two new boys; (From the 40k wiki)

Battlesuits said:
XV8-05 Enforcer Crisis Battlesuit – The XV8-05 Enforcer Crisis Battlesuit is a larger and sleeker variant of the standard XV8 Crisis Battlesuit that provides better protection and joint movement for the pilot. It is currently only available for use by Tau Commanders.

XV8-06 Coldstar Crisis Battlesuit – The XV8-06 Coldstar Crisis Battlesuit, or simply the XV86, is a rare mark of XV8 Crisis Battlesuit that carries many wholly unique support and weapon systems. Designed for operation in a void environment, each XV8-06 is fitted with integrated interface armour.
Also on the Ghostkeel;

£45 for one suit and two drones. Considering that I buy from third parties and pay around 20% less, that's £33 for the Ghostkeel. Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

LotN

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.