Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm back guys! But I need some more help. I'm after writing a competative list. I've got a rought idea of the units I want to include, so I;ll run them by you and see what you think.

Hq:

Chapter master (By chapter master, I mean this guy -> Click here

Chaplin (Jump pack and melta bombs)

Elites:

6 terminators (Thunder hammers and storm shields all)

7 terminators (Thunder hammers and storm shields all)

10 sternguard (combi-melta, plamsa-gun and the sergeant has a power fist with a Drop Pod with locator beacon and deathwind launcher)

Troops

10 scout squad (9 sniper rifles and a missile launcher)

10 scout squad (9 sniper rifles and a missile launcher and Scout Sergeant Telion, but a Raven Guard version)

10 tactical squad (Melta-gun, missile launcher and a Drop pod with locator beacon and deathwind launcher)

10 tactical squad (Melta-gun, missile launcher and a Drop pod with locator beacon and deathwind launcher)

Fast attack:

5 vangaurd veterans (lightning claws and jump packs all)

Heavy support:

Land Raider Redeemer (Dedicated transport for the 6 termies)

I think that comes to about 2000 points. Any thoughts? Comments? Any units you guys think are bad?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any one got a comment to make?

·
Registered
122 Posts
do the vanguard vets have jet packs? i assume so, and tbh i'd rather take a power weapon on the chapter master, as its less points i think. not got my dex with me atm though!

but good list :) cc is always more fun/ interesting

·
Registered
967 Posts
Well... just one thing: you sure like lightning claws... I would create a bit more diversity withing the squads, this way you assure yourself of a squad that can play multiple roles on the field... just an idea though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
replace the chapter master with captain shrike
it will give your terminators fleet USR
they also could outflank together..(shrike and terminators)

i should replace 1 land raider for a second or bigger squad terminators
but I prefere a second squad and put them in your land raider.

i personally would replace the drop pods with rhinos..
but thats because i just dont like drop pods over rhinos....
you can move around your enemy with rhinos
and move out ...
or do a last turn capture with a rhino

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Drop one of the 10-man sniper squads. Turn it in for a 10-man Tac Squad with Lascannon, Meltagun and Rhino.

Exchange the Vanguard Vets for a Command Squad on bikes. Outflank with Shrike and the bikers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Shrike Shrike Shrike

Make the Scouts CC (infiltrate, move, run, assault)

Drop Vanguards for regular assualt marines. Their extra cost is not worth it.

Drop the Chapter Master.

Problems I see are with mech and horde control.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It depends on whether this is for a one-off game or a tournament-style all comers list?

If it is the latter then I'd echo the other people's comments for Shrike and his TAS infiltrating/fleet friends to get in people's faces on turn 1.

Chronus should be dropped as you don't really need BS 5 for 50+ points when you get re-rolls built in.

I'd also drop a unit of Scouts as you already have 5 troops choices if you combat squad the Marines. Also, while I understand the Drop Pod Raven Guard thing for the Tacs you might be better off giving one of them a Razor or Rhino to add some support to their brothers that are diving for combat and have them defend objectives in your half of the battlefield.

Give the Sternguard more combi-meltas so that they can wreck tanks when they arrive and use their sexy bolter rounds for gunning down infantry in the following turn.

I'm wondering about the JP's on the characters as they can't go in transports and they will negate the VanVets ability to Intervene. How about dropping the Chaplain and using the points from the scouts to get a 2nd squad of them so that you have the Termies + Shrike attacking turn 1 with Sternguard support and VV's getting stuck in very quickly afterward with the help of Locator beacons.

If you are doing this then you should swap the Claws on the VV's for a single fist on the Sarge and as many Storm Shields as you can buy to soak up Power weapon hits.

It might not be the most efficient choice (TAS are probably the best unit in the game for assaulting) but it has jump packs and gets into combat quickly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Chronus should be dropped as you don't really need BS 5 for 50+ points when you get re-rolls built in.

I'd also drop a unit of Scouts as you already have 5 troops choices if you combat squad the Marines. Also, while I understand the Drop Pod Raven Guard thing for the Tacs you might be better off giving one of them a Razor or Rhino to add some support to their brothers that are diving for combat and have them defend objectives in your half of the battlefield.
i think cronos is worth his points but thats because you have a land raider that you can count on ...

and euh 5 troops ..
you gotta need 4 or 5 .. cause you can not combat squad if you use shrike

yes razorbacks and rhinos!!

and please o use the vanguards....they are funny ... but sadly bit overprized

·
Registered
210 Posts
i think cronos is worth his points but thats because you have a land raider that you can count on ...
But you can count on the TL-Las already - 3+ re-rolled to hit is better than BS5. 50 points isn't worth the BS bump from 4 to 5 and an extra Kill point penalty, on top of whatever you pack into the Raider to take advantage of its Assault Ramp.

cause you can not combat squad if you use shrike
Why not? Combat squads and combat tactics are two completely separate things.

VV are overpriced but they work better than Assault squads when you take Pods with Locator beacons that are near the enemy because you can be placed without scattering before bum-rushing the enemy.

While there really isn't any comparison to Termie Assault Squads the OP wants Raven Guard so VV are more fluffy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
oww you can .. whoops.. chapter and combat tactics ..
but you can still combat squad /... woops sorry :D

so i learn somethings after all...

cronos is okay... worth it .... maybe i think he is
especcially with storm-bolter and multi melta on it......

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok guys, thanks for such a good response :)

See, I was wondering about keeping my chapter master, but using th custom one I made (which I've put a link to next to the chapter master's section). As he has the two rules you were telling me were the reasons I should take Shrike, so I was thinking I could take him. Also, On the side f changing Drop pods in for Rhinos/Razorbacks, are you sure I should? Because my thinking was that they can deliver my troops right into the center of the battle, and give my opponent minimal time to respond to the new threats. Also, I would have thought Rhinos/Razorbacks were easier to destroy than Drop pods. However, I would be tempted to take Razorbacks with a mix of Lascannons and Assault cannons (for mech and swarm control). What do you guys think about that?

Also, I was thinking of exchanging a scout squad in for some scout bikers. Then they can carry some locator beacons to aid my terminators and possibly VVs making a safe entry, as they are more mobile that Drop pods.

So I'm back with fresh idea's, what do you guys think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts