Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Which of the following armies should i do?

• Horde Army

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Wazdakka Speed Freak Army

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Tiny Speed Freak Army

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So jumping a bit on Jase's back (didn't think it approriate to hi-jack his thread though) i to am intending to take Orks to the Final (like everyone else it seems).

Currently got 3 lists i'm bouncing around and need to settle on one by Saturday as thats when i am gonna buy it all.

List 1 is a nice big Horde (i have played horde before with my nids to great success so am no stranger to this style of play):

Big Mek with SAG = 95
Big Mek with KFF = 85

12 Kommandos with 2 Burnas & Snikrot = 235
14 Tankbustas = 210
12 Lootas = 180

20 Shoota Boyz with 2 Bigshootas and Nob with Klaw = 170

Total = 1485 and 120 models

I am doing this list at work so can't think what to spend the last 15pts on. Probably the meks but i can't remember costs for wargear.

The other forces are speedfreaks. In this i am going for a radically different army to what i am used to:

Wazdakka = 180

7 Nob Bikers with Klaw, Waaaggh Banna and Painboy = 385

12 Orks with Bigshootas and Nob with Klaw = 112
+ Trukk with Ram = 40
+ Trukk with Ram = 40

2 Deathkoptas with Rokkits= 90

Looted Wagon with Killkannon, Ard Case, Ram and Riggers = 125

Total = 1499 and 53 models

Or the final Speedfreak and Ork list (this one is VERY small and silly)

Warboss on Bike with Klaw and Attack Squig = 140

6 Nob Bikers with Klaw, Waaaaggghhh Banna and Painboy with Orderly = 345

3 Deffkoptas with Rokkits = 135

Total = 1500 and 24 models!!!!

so the clock is ticking.... which one?

·
Registered
325 Posts
What if I said half a dozen of one & six of the other.

I think a more well rounded list may be a better choice. Something like 6-700pts of walking Orks to apply pressure from turn 1 & then the rest as a mobile element to zoom up a flank.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I like the first list most but really don't rate tankbustas- they are too easy to mess around with due to their stupid stupid glory hogs rule. And I'd rather d3 str 7 shots than 1 str 8. Sure the bustas can move but range 24" means you are out of range anyway. I'd go with something like this:

mekboy with shokk attack gun bosspole
mekboy with shokk attack gun bosspole

14x looters
14x looters
Snikrot, 10x kommandos 2x burnas

20x sluggas + 2x rokkits+ nob with power klaw, bosspole
20x shootas + 2x big shootas+ nob with power klaw, bosspole
20x shootas + 2x big shootas+ nob with power klaw, bosspole

deff kopta- twin linked rokkit launchas

deffkoptas and snikrot mess around with the opponents deployment, tie up mobs in cc and help the mobs of boys. Lootas do their stuff. Another shokk or one KFF is debatable as is sluggas v shootas- I can see that 3 mobs of shootas probably works as well.

The other lists I like for one off games, but not for a tournie where you need consistency. I don't rate the looted wagon though- I'd be surprised if it got more than 1 shot off in most games and its pretty difficult to get back 100 points in one ordnace round.

I'd be surprised if any of these list were more effective than your tyranids that you have experience with- you just bored of 'em?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not bored no, just always looking for a change and i like Orks.

Glory hogs is a pain, am thinking of switching round the unit sizes on Lootas/Tankbustas but still want to keep them as hello massed S8 shots.

As for consitency at tournies meh! Though this is going to the GT it also is there to be fun in regular games (i may attend tons of tourneys but try to avoid "tourney player" mentalities).

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Why not combine them all for a really fast, really huge, really bloody unstoppable force?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As unfortunatly the GT is 1500pts not 3k+ and i want to find somewhere to start (but yes will probably get all eventually).

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I don't think Wazdakka lets you take nob bikers as troops as it says you can take warbiker mobs as troops, which I would presume to mean the warbiker entry (normally fast attack), and not 'any unit on a warbike' which in addition to nobs would presumably allow you to take warbosses as troop choices as long as they were on a bike.

Beware boyz in trukks. I've been toying around with mechanized orcs but if they trukk takes a penetrating hit that doesn't destroy it (destroying it would trigger ramshackle), all passengers must disembark anyhow according to emergency disembarkation rules on p. 68 of the rulebook. This means if you moved your trukk over 6", an average of 5 out of the 12 boyz aboard will be killed by the bailout, even if the vehicle is just stunned, effectively neutering your unit especially as this is likely to cause them to fail the subsequent pinning test with their Ld 7. A fearless mob aboard a fast vehicle gets turned into 7 likely-pinned cowardly orks on fully half of the penetrating shot table. It's enough to make one hope for vehicle destroyed.

However taking warbiker mobs as troops is generally a pretty solid choice. You won't have nearly as many boyz, but they're very durable, fast, and can't be slowed down except by their death. Shooting anti-tank weaponry at 25 point units isn't really worth it especially when they still get a 4+ cover save, anti-infantry weaponry has to deal with the fact that they've got a toughness of 5, and MEQ-killing stuff is again foiled in large part by the cover save. Turbo-boost even gives you an invuln to use against heavy flamers. Lightning claws and high initiative high strength power-weapon wielders are really the only thing that can stop them, but each warbike also gets an average of 1 str 5 ap 5 hit at 18" that can be fired on the go, so give em what for at range.

IMHO anyway.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i would say either of these would be gud

Wazdakka = 180

7 Nob Bikers with Klaw, Waaaggh Banna and Painboy = 385

+ Trukk with Ram = 40
+ Trukk with Ram = 40

Total = 1499 and 53 models
BECAUSE ITS HARD AS F**K for the gt

Or the final Speedfreak and Ork list (this one is VERY small and silly)

not quite as harsh but i love deffkoptas , moderling oppotunities (especialy for you) and just love them lol

i dont like hourde myself but thats the root orks "should be" and what most people go for, perhaps im just lazy lol

martin

·
Registered
126 Posts
Those look fun armies Skcuzzlebumm, my vote went to the horde list.

The thing that worries me about the other lists is that in escalation missions the deffkopters are rather fragile and likely to die quickly. In gamma the other units are much more threatening.

Do you really need all the klaws on the nob bikers? One or two I can understand but surely 5 S5 attacks per model on the charge will hurt plenty.

The real issue for these elite ork armies I've seen is LD. Lose a couple of models and the rest could well run for the hills quicker than a grot.

Good luck to you. (My bikes can't wait to see what these ork comtraptions can do. Not eagerly, I want to know.:grin:)

·
Banned
280 Posts
As I said in Jase's thread, you've got the problem here of RAWise, the Shootaboy nobz are unable to take powerklaws. It seems silly, and I have no idea as to whether or not this was intentional (some people consider it may have been done to keep the slugga boyz a worthwhile choice). But considering the nature of the environment you're attempting to take this list to, I doubt it would be considered legal.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
meh imo that is RAW gone to far. I dropped an email to a friend at HQ, he said he was gonna double check with higher powers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that piece of RAW, Skuzz. If someone tries that on you just drag them to the shop, pick up a box of the models and point to the big frakkin' Nob on the front of the box with a Powerklaw. :victory:

Don't have a problem with RAW in 95% of cases, but that's a little extreme.

As to the choice of lists - they all look ace, I'd go for a reasonably balanced one so you can go either Speed Freaks or Horde depending on which will be favourable in 5th edition. A sounder investment if anything.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i got an reply (actually bothered to check my emails today - should have done before i posted earlier):

His response is 2 fold:

1. Who says you don't just upgrade the Nob first before the rest of the squad??? Nothing anywhere says you can't (for those who like RAW).

2. Take a look through the codex and notice the numerous pics of Nobs with choppas/Klaws in the colour sections. Even within the example army lists. Then if they still don't agree hit them with the Codex repeatedly round the head till they see sense (ok maybe that last bit is more the Flame On RAW rule).

Great Harli: I would have done as you suggested anyways but this clears things up for those overly excitable RAW rules lawyers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree that a hybrid of list 1 and 2 is the best. If i had to pick one of them though the horde is the best. Basically, i think deffkoptas with rokkits are useful. However, they are leadership 7. That means if you take a unit of 2/3 when one dies you have to piss about taking morale checks on very low leadership, not a good plan in my opinion. Always keep the deffkoptas independent. Then they can sit there being very cheap and very annoying, twin-linked bs2 isn't actually anything to be sniffed at.

I think about 1200pts of the horde army is great. The weak link is the tankbusters. I would lose them for 3 seperate deffkoptas for starters and then you have some points spare to do what you like as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
again pk hmm

shootas its an option they are boys first
character
one boy may be upgraded to nob
he may replace his choppa with one of the following
big chop
pk
Then go back to option still a mob[mob-a bunch of multiple persons]
entire mob may replace its sluggas and choppas with shootas
it even says so in the faq

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Individual point costs are a big No No, and lets keep the date of a thread and previous posts in mind BEFORE we post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.