Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the group I game w/ and I used to play Mordheim back when it first came out. They want to start playing again so I decided to do a Beastmen Raiders warband and am planning on using the following:

Chieftain w/ 2 Mace, Helmet
Shaman w/ 2 Mace
Bestigor w/ 2 Mace, Helmet
Bestigor w/ 2 Mace, Helmet
2 Hounds
Minotaur w/ Hlaberd

Comes to 494gc. I know most people say to max out on the heroes from the start but I really want to use a minotaur and I figure that a mino w/ halberd might be just as good as a centigor (who has a chance of going stupid every turn). Plus, if I can take all the minotaurs enemies out of action, he has a 50% chance to get Frenzy and in Mordheim that's double attacks instead of just +1 (ahhhh, the good ol' days of GW :biggrin: ). I figure I'll be able to pick up a centigor w/ gc quicker than a mino.

I'll probably be facing Dwarf Treasure Hunters, Undead, and O&G. That's not for certain but it's a pretty good guess.

Any Mordheimers out there have any input???

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I've found out that huge creatures like ogres and minotaurs tend to fall quickly and with no useful contribution :) thay are just too costly for my taste. however you should try it for yourself. my only suggestion is to max the heroes as soon as you can (even naked). Expect some big troubles from Dwarves: they are a very good list!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. The centigor will be the main thing I look at buying after the start so I get all the heroes. Hopefully the mino doesn't suck it at the start and just die. That would be my luck though. :p

I had originally thought about giving the mino a great weapon for S6 but I4 is huge in Mordheim (IIRC) and w/ M6 the mino should be getting the charge off most of the time and so be able to attack first. 3A @ WS4, I4, and S5 should help, right??? I guess now I'm just trying to convince myself that it's going to work.

I'll give it a try w/ the mino and see how things go. How bad can it be?! ... :shok:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Great weapon is a bad idea, imo.. I tried that and it was a mess, always last to attack means that a couple of human warriors with halberds can ruin your day..sigh... Halberd, however: Str5 means that he will wound 3+ on the worst case scenario. At Init4 he will attack same time as 90% of elite warriors out there. Halberd is good. If you ask me, 2 weapons (maces) are better, in the first games where only possessed and vampires have T4 and offensive capabilities to take him down ;)

Reactions: KarnalBloodfist

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Halberd is good. If you ask me, 2 weapons (maces) are better, in the first games where only possessed and vampires have T4 and offensive capabilities to take him down ;)
You have a good point w/ the 2 maces over the halberd. The mino stats should be high enough - WS4, S4, T4, I4, A3 (+1 for AHW) - to deal w/ most of the non elite troops. Something I think shouldn't be to much of an issue since I'm guessing the others in the group won't be maxing out on characters if they stick to their old ways. I only read about that recently doing research on Mordheim.

So mino it is but w/ 2 maces. :victory:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Glad to have been useful. Let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I'm hijacking this thread, since it seemed silly to make ANOTHER thread... I just put my first Raider list together as well, and went a slightly different route, mostly because I was listbuiliding to my models.

Chieftain
Light Armor
Sword x2

Shaman
Staff (mace)

Bestigor
Light Armor
Halberd

Bestigor
Light Armor
Halberd

Centigor
Light Armor
Halberd

488 total

I'm hoping it'll be kind of effective. High strength for most attacks, the Shaman hiding in the back mostly for support. I could go with DW maces all over the place, but I really loved the Warpborn models from Hordes, and they're all Worgen carrying great axes, so....

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The list in itself is good, BUT: you are forfeiting another equipped model (or 2) in favour of the fickle defense provided by Light armour... unless you are using some house rule to make it more viable, just drop 'em. A couple of ungors are a better armour, if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The only real reason for the Light Armor is (mostly) because the models are wearing them. Armor is so piss poor in this game that I'm aware that I'm mostly throwing money away at this point on armor... I'd like to eventually get them all in Heavy Armor, since it wont effect their speed (not bothering with shields), but that's MUCH too costly.

I'm tempted to use the common house rule that adds +1 to all Armor... but my primary opponent is a Dwarf Treasure Hunter list, and that's gonna make a scary Noble in Gromril.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
As for me I use this rule for armour:
Strenght gives penalty to armour saves from St5 and not from St4
Armours give the same save in game, but after the game, a model taken Out of Action, if wearing armour, can make a "Survival save"
basically, if yuou roll 1-2 for an henchmen or an injury for an hero you can make another armour save with a +1 bonus (the survival save) to be instead considered fully recovered.
For instance a warrior with shield and light armour would benefit of a 4+ Survival save
An hero can still be captured or sold to the arenas or lost etc, you can only avoid an injury or the death.
this, i found, justifies the high cost of armours, and makes very hard to get rid of an heavy armoured hero (or henchmen!)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm only a believer in armor once a warband gets a bit more established and if you have a hero worth protecting. If you're super lucky and you have the cash, gromril armor and the Shaggy Hide skill are a great combo. I do wish helmets also tacked a +1 onto the AS. (Maybe I'll see if I can house rule that! :grin: )

I had actually thought about doing a bunch of heroes all kitted out w/ heavy armor but, the 50gc tag for a 33% chance of making an AS ... meh. And that's assuming no axes or S4. Light armor is even more questionable for those reasons as well. I'd rather take a few hounds as meat shileds. Their super cheap at 15gc and quite expendable. M7 means they should get the charge. Hope they stun the enemy and have a hero come in behind and mop up for the xp.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Oh the hounds! I forget how awesome they are! Definitely, you want a couple of them to engage some nasty fast or shooty enemy.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I just got most of the parts for my warband, only to see that the two halves I was going to use to make my own Centigor are WAY out of proportion. I either have to switch over to a Minotaur (which costs so much more), or find another way for my conversion. The models all wear armor, so I figured light armor, but...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
mh, well, i've seen many centigors on ebay at some reasonable price...
About the armour: at the beginning you could just skip the WYSIWYG part, and later adding it.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I'm actually making a Beastmen army based around Wolfbeasts (Worgen/werewolves, whatever you wanna call them). Making a Centigor with them involves probably hacking up a Thunderwolf mount to start.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
well...thats not easy or cheap! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts