Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a quote from another thread but my question is not really relevant to it so figured i would start a new one instead of dragging the other thread down.

you can have Morale tests forced on you from any kind of wound, including Dangerous Terrain, or your own weapons overheating.

Does this mean that if a unit of 4 plasma cannon devs fire but one of them gets hot and fails his amour save that at the end of the shooting phase that dev team has to make a morale check(for taking 25% casualtys) and would run if they failed?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
This is a quote from another thread but my question is not really relevant to it so figured i would start a new one instead of dragging the other thread down.

Does this mean that if a unit of 4 plasma cannon devs fire but one of them gets hot and fails his amour save that at the end of the shooting phase that dev team has to make a morale check(for taking 25% casualtys) and would run if they failed?
Yes. It's very clear on this on P44 - if a unit takes 25% or more casualties in any phase, it will have to take a moral check or fall back. Doesn't matter how you got the wounds, only that you lost 25% of your unit in any way. Being in CC is the only exception to this rule.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
slight change:
If a unit takes more then 25% casualities in any phase other then the assault phase (from any source) then they take a moral check.

That means that you never have to take a morale check if you took 25% casualities from a combat (or even from an exploding vehicle/C'Tan after combat) but if you hit 25% through dangerous terrain, friendly fire or anything like that you will need to.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Actually it is completely possible, although rare, for a unit to be forced to take a leadership test for losing 25% in the assault phase. Page 44 of the BRB only states that casualties caused by CC attacks don't count.

An example of when this would happen would be if a unit of 4 attempts to assault through dangerous terrain and only has 1 model in range to do so. If that model were to fail their dangerous terrain move the assault would never happen and the unit
would have been reduced by 25% forcing a morale check.

If I'm not mistaken an exploding vehicle could also cause a unit to take a morale check (assuming the unit is not locked in CC).

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
An example of when this would happen would be if a unit of 4 attempts to assault through dangerous terrain and only has 1 model in range to do so. If that model were to fail their dangerous terrain move the assault would never happen and the unit
would have been reduced by 25% forcing a morale check.
Except that you can allocate wounds, so it is very unlikely to ever happen in reality.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I don't see what you mean? 4 guys, 4 rolls, any 1's kill a guy. With 4 rolls, there's a decent chance you could take a single wound and thus lose 25% of your unit.
he means you have to roll for each man seperatly as other wise i would roll my 4 dice and fail 1 and kill a normal guy when in fact if i hade alocated ALL of the rolls it might have been my sergeant.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
he means you have to roll for each man seperatly as other wise i would roll my 4 dice and fail 1 and kill a normal guy when in fact if i hade alocated ALL of the rolls it might have been my sergeant.
Yes, I understand that the seargent may die. But that doesn't make losing a single model less or more likely whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Yes, I understand that the seargent may die. But that doesn't make losing a single model less or more likely whatsoever.
What I mean is, obviously, that I would not choose to kill the ONLY guy that would be able to reach CC - because that would be a totally mental thing to do. If they are in CC then they DON'T take the moral test for losing 25%.

4 guys. Only 1 can reach the enemy in the Assault phase. Dangerous terrain test kills 1 of the 4 guys. Don't pick the guy that can reach CC. Locked combat follows = no moral test from losing the guy in dangerous terrain. You would have to be a complete mentallist to play it any other way, unless you are being a dick and deliberately trying to throw the game.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
What I mean is, obviously, that I would not choose to kill the ONLY guy that would be able to reach CC - because that would be a totally mental thing to do. If they are in CC then they DON'T take the moral test for losing 25%.

4 guys. Only 1 can reach the enemy in the Assault phase. Dangerous terrain test kills 1 of the 4 guys. Don't pick the guy that can reach CC. Locked combat follows = no moral test from losing the guy in dangerous terrain. You would have to be a complete mentallist to play it any other way, unless you are being a dick and deliberately trying to throw the game.
The only flaw to your theory is that it doesn't follow the rules for assaulting. Refer to page 34 in the BRB under, MOVING ASSAULTING MODELS.

The closest model in a unit making an assault has to be moved first to see it reaches before any other models are moved. If the assaulting unit was moving into, out of or through dangerous terrain you would take the dangerous terrain test for the first model by itself. It would be a single dice roll, if it failed and the other members of that unit are out of range, they cannot make the assault. If that failed terrain test caused the unit a 25% loss, (1 out of 4) you would now take a morale test. It goes without saying, (but I'll say it anyway) that multiple failed terrain tests resulting in a 25% loss along with a failed assault attempt will result is a required morale test too.

Basically, you move a single model first to see if they can reach, if it does make it, (both in measurement and a difficult terrain test) you can rock on and speed roll for the rest of the terrain tests for the remaining models in one go.
If the first model is removed due to a dangerous terrain test you would then go to the next closest model and repeat until the assault has been achieved or failed.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I think were darklove if getting confused is thinking he can allocate away the Dangerous Terrain wound. As someone said previously you cannot. Each Model not Unit takes a test.

The fun with morale is when your CCS fires it's Plasma Guns out of the back of their Chimera melt their own faces to take 25% casualties then break. Do they get out of their nice safe tank to alope across the battlefield? Or does your Chimera just drive around with a funny smell in the back. It's a mystery.

Aramoro

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Or does your Chimera just drive around with a funny smell in the back.

Aramoro
That smell just doesn't come out no matter what you use, febreze, lysol, bleach, blood from a virgin... nothing gets that smell out. Nothing.
Resale value takes a nose dive because of that stink too.

My theory on that particular subject is that they do disembark and run for it. At that point even the relatively safe confines of an armored transport offer no protection to a shattered mind. The unit is going to make a run for the board edge by the shortest possible route. That short route takes them right out the doors of that claustrophobic transport.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I think the confusion with dangerous terrain wounds being allocated is speed rolling: most people I play with would just say I have X number of regular guys going through terrain (rolls dice), oh 2 are dead (pick up 2)... we should go model by model but when you start using hoards it gets way too slow- if its vital (such as only 1 model being able to make b2b contact it really ought to be rolled individually).

·
Registered
124 Posts
We do a mix of the two in my gaming group. For every group of six guys we roll 6 dice. If any of the dice are ones, we count off the 6 guys and roll a single dice to determine which one dies. For larger groups it picks up the pace a little while still following the rules.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I think the confusion with dangerous terrain wounds being allocated is speed rolling: most people I play with would just say I have X number of regular guys going through terrain (rolls dice), oh 2 are dead (pick up 2)... we should go model by model but when you start using hoards it gets way too slow- if its vital (such as only 1 model being able to make b2b contact it really ought to be rolled individually).
Speed rolling for dangerous terrain tests are ok for troops that are identically equipped, such as standard marines or ork boys. If you have a nob, IC or a special weapon in the unit, just use a different colored dice for the unique models and make your speed rolls.
But the first/closest model should always be moved and rolled for separately as it can decide if the unit can or cannot assault.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts