Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is the first day of the first month of the Conversion Deathmatch so welcome to the Heresy Online:

Monthly Conversion Deathmatch

A valid entry is a picture before the conversion and a picture after the conversion plus an optional description of the conversion, posted in this thread. The full current rules and FAQ can be found in the Rules thread.

Work in progress photographs or descriptions are also encouraged.

Entries must be submitted by midnight GMT on 31 May 2012.

As this is the first month we might have missed something or it might not quite work as expected, so if there is anything that you think unclear or needs reviewing however trivial please post it in the Discussion thread.

Without further ado, Heretics, ready your parts, raise your tools, and start converting.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I will be doing something to go along with my current ork army. I have made a start on the item already although currently the only converting is a shortening of the truck chassis.

There is is still plenty of work to be done, and already 3 days of the month have passed.

But here is a before picture.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Konvurshon is the second name of orkiness :) I'll try to do one of my two new Looted Wagon this may and I'll have pics up as soon as they drops by. Russ or Raider is the question!

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Here we are, my simple but visible entry.

I wanted the front limbs of the canoptek spyder to be cc attachments as normal, and one of the rear sets to be sporting a long range attachment. The reasoning is I wanted the spyder to look as though it was capable of aiming the weapons manually rather than simply have them mounted to its back.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My meks joy knows no limits, they are jumping up and down like a herd of squigs! Two new salvaged tanks where installed at the workshop today. One entered through the backdoor. Quite curious since the back door did not exist yesterday.

Raider for me this May.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Well my meks is working day and night but progress is slow. This is because a minor set back the other day. You see, the meks started to disassemble both vehicles to look at all the know-wots hidden inside them. A single grot was given the task to remember where all stuff went and where it attached to the assembled vehicle. Sadly the very same grot was fed to the boss' gnasher squig the same day when assembly was on the schedule. Now the Meks and the remaining grots try to put the two vehicles back together and the outcome of this is most uncertain since no one remembers where anything goes.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my meks is working day and night but progress is slow. This is because a minor set back the other day. You see, the meks started to disassemble both vehicles to look at all the know-wots hidden inside them. A single grot was given the task to remember where all stuff went and where it attached to the assembled vehicle. Sadly the very same grot was fed to the boss' gnasher squig the same day when assembly was on the schedule. Now the Meks and the remaining grots try to put the two vehicles back together and the outcome of this is most uncertain since no one remembers where anything goes.
Excellent progress report.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The Boss have been inspecting the workshop and decided that the looted raider be namned the 'Ard-squig. He is eager to send it out into battle so there is no more time to work on it. The meks guess the trophy chain can wait until it has earned itself some nice trophies on the field of battle.

WIP

Finished

Here it is, my entry for may.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh wow, this IS a thing.

So, do I just link tot he other thread, or copy and paste that whole long post over to here?
You need to post a picture of your starting point and a picture of your completed conversion; you may also post a short text description of the conversion. Full rules are here.

There is no problem with also linking to your thread if you want.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
One problem, I don't have a picture of this thing when it was just sprues. I do, however, have a second one still in shrink wrap. Can I take a picture of that one and use it as my start point?

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One problem, I don't have a picture of this thing when it was just sprues. I do, however, have a second one still in shrink wrap. Can I take a picture of that one and use it as my start point?
As using a duplicate does not change the information provided in the entry I cannot see how it would gain you an advantage. As such I do not think you should be penalised for your honesty in asking whether it was acceptable rather than just using a photograph of the identical second model without telling anyone. Therefore I will permit it.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
As using a duplicate does not change the information provided in the entry I cannot see how it would gain you an advantage. As such I do not think you should be penalised for your honesty in asking whether it was acceptable rather than just using a photograph of the identical second model without telling anyone. Therefore I will permit it.
Good choice! This is a test month afterall :) Conversion is a fun and challangeing part of the hobby that brings diversity to the battlefields. I hope more people will join in the month to come!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Alright then.

First up is unpainted photos, and the boxes of the one with shrink wrap and the one without. Both were bought this month. After that is painted stuff. Its all finished.

Basically, I thin the way they assembled both variants is stupid. The ghost ark should be hanging, so the warriors can get in and out easier, and the doomsday cannon should be higher up in the air, so it can shoot over things and not incinerate the friendly units in front of it. I know why they did it- They wanted the warriors inside to be easier to see- but it doesn't change that it is a completely illogical way to construct the thing.

With this vague goal in mind I set about finding a way to make the ghost ark have the warriors hanging inside with the ribs pointing down. I cut the things that normally hold them in at the third section, and glued them between the spine and the head on the warriors, and it worked great. It was a bitch to paint, but well worth it!

The hardest part was cutting the plates they stand on off of the feet without mangling the feet. I succeeded, mostly. The one I completely messed up on, I chopped up the foot to just make it look like damage. He stepped on a landmine, or got too close to a squig or something. Conversion!

I did a lot of custom damage as well. As a Necron player, all my models have to be pristine and in fully functioning order, what with the self repairing bodies. I enjoyed being able to break off the chain and make them damaged a little too much. On that note, my favorite warrior is in the second row back, on the right side of the vehicle.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

EDIT: Reading through the rules, it seems the emphasis is on not-painting the model. I'll leave the painted pictures, but here are the unpainted ones:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Iron Angel: you are permitted up to two sentences of description of what the conversion is about as part of the entry. Looking through your post it seems to be described by:

I think the way they assembled both variants is stupid. The ghost ark should be hanging, so the warriors can get in and out easier.
Are you happy for these to be the text description?

Everyone Else: there are still a few days to get your entries complete, or even sneak in a late entry.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
My entry is coming along. I have a couple of days of GS work to do, then it will be pretty much done. I am very happy with how its turned out. In fact I am a bit disappointed its just a truck and will get toasted early in games.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Iron Angel: you are permitted up to two sentences of description of what the conversion is about as part of the entry. Looking through your post it seems to be described by:

Are you happy for these to be the text description?

Everyone Else: there are still a few days to get your entries complete, or even sneak in a late entry.
Thats great.

Sorry I haven't got all the rules nailed down yet!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.