Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i need your help.
I feel quite stupid right now, but an issue has come out.
Where in the BRB does it states that a Monster Creature that also is an indep. character cannot join a unit like any other IC does?
Also, can the same MC - IC join another MC - IC forming a unit of ICs??
I can't find anything against both issues.
Help please?

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Well as far as i knew monsterous creatures arn't ICs like ever but if you've found one I'm not too sure on the exact rules in that case.

But as to intependent characters themselves at the top of the first paragraph in the BRB page 166 "Independe t characters can join other units. They cannot however join units that contain vehicles or monsterous creatures " hope that clears that up.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks batt.
I noticed that, hence my doubt about two IC MC joining togheter..thay cannot it seems...oh, well.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
You've certainly got me intrigued what IC Monsterous creatures have you found? Only real monsterous creatures that could kindof count were hive tyrants but they had additonal rules or actually the character riptide.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as far as i know, only farsight riptide and the hive tyrant have this rule.
But i still hope in the future we will see more (chaos daemon princes ;) )

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
as far as i know, only farsight riptide and the hive tyrant have this rule.
I can't vouch for the Farsight book, but the Hive Tyrant doesn't the Independent Character rule in their unit entry in the Tyranid Codex. A Hive Tyrant or Swarmlord may join a unit of Tyrant/Hive Guard as if it were an IC only because the unit entry for Guard specifically state the case. The only thing in the 'nid book I can find with IC is the Tyranid Prime, which isn't a Monstrous Creature.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The Eldar Wraithseer is also now an IC.

While it can never join another MC unit, there are a few talks about IC joining order staggering to still get an MC IC and other IC's in a squad together.

Not sure on all that, but its worth a consideration.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there are a few talks about IC joining order staggering to still get an MC IC and other IC's in a squad together.
explain this, please? :grin:
I missed the wraithseer completely!

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
explain this, please? :grin:
I missed the wraithseer completely!
I believe that this was the same idea as for the old farsight bomb. It relied upon the fact that if a riptide took a drone, he lost monstrous creature as a unit but gained the unit profile, this then allowed the character riptide to join then all of the other characters (independent crisis suits and far sight).

The wraithseer would probably be something similar, last time I read the rules i thought it could only join wraith guard and then maybe join a bunch of characters such as farseers and warlocks.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aah i see.
thanks

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Alrighty, the Wraithseer isnt limited to what he can join. However, you wouldn't want to waste his T8 by sticking him in some T3 unit. Wraithguard/Blades would be the best unit as he can buff the survivability of those.

Personally, I am playing with the idea of a mini little Deathstar with different ICs of different Toughnesses. The plan is to get Eldrad, the Wraithseer, an Archon (maybe a Corsair Prince) with a shadowfield, and possibly Urien. It is waaaay to Expensive for what I want it to do, but it will be fun to run a T8 unit with good invul saves and some decent threat.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I know that the ITC FAQ has disallowed MC ICs from joining units or being joined, though I don't think the official FAQs have caught up yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts