Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry for the dumb rules questions later but i just started using area terrain in my battles. I have a question about the affects to the initiative of a DP when assaulting through difficult terrain. Do they suffer the modifier to their initiative? i only ask because they are monsterous creatures and i forget how they deal with difficult terrain. If you could also give me some page numbes for reference that would be awesome.
thanks everyone...

Woog out!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yes, a Daemon Prince assaulting through difficult terrain will strike last as per the Assaulting Into/Through Cover rules on pg 36 of the BRB. The only difference from normal units is that MC's roll 3D6 for difficult terrain (pg. 51).

Also, a Chaos Daemons DP with Aura of Aquiecence or Cloud of Flies will not strike last, as it is armed with assault grenades.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yeah one of the things that people can do to counter your MCs I'm afraid. In your case, since your guy is part Slaanesh may I suggest Pavane of Slaanesh? That way you can drag them out of cover and assault them full force. Of course I don't remember what Cloud of Flies does but I'm assuming from the above post that it gives you assault grenades which I guess can work as well.

But I have a question about MC's and cover: Lets say your MC is in cover, however, the cover itself does not cover 50% or more of the MC so he does not get the cover save. Does he still count as being in cover for assault purposes? I'd assume the latter of the 2 is correct, but I want to double check due to the MC's different rules regarding cover

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my DP is no longer slaanesh. He's khorne. I was fluffed into going with a world eaters break off legion. Thanks anyways for the suggestion. I'll just make sure to kill them before they get into cover :grin:

if it's area cover they yes he does get the cover save regardless of half of him being covered or not. That's the rule. Now if he's being shot at through area cover i'm not sure if that applies but in the BRB it states that if 50% of a unit is within an area cover then the whole unit gets the applicable save. And if half of your Monsterous creature is within the area cover he'd get it. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

woog out!

·
Registered
146 Posts
@BananaKing: I would have to say yes because the cover doesn't techniquely effect the MCreature except for the fact that he/she is standing in it, it does however effect the unit assualting as they are climibing through the cover to get to thier target.

·
Registered
860 Posts
That's what I figured. I ask because I got into an argument with an annoying ass**** at my last game when my tervigon was assaulted by terminators. He claimed that they strike before I do because I didn't get cover. I argued what we've agreed on.

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
In response to arfea terrain ask yourself this question - did/do you take a difficult terrain test with the MC - if YES then area terrain effects are in place regarding all assault rules either into or out of, nothing in the MC rules states they work differently.

In regards to shooting though MC's must be 50% covered by the terrain to be able to take advantage of its protection as they are exceedingly larger beings than normal.

MC's are still affected by the normal assault and cover to represent things like harder to move through cover, not seeing th opponent properly etc...

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
That's what I figured. I ask because I got into an argument with an annoying ass**** at my last game when my tervigon was assaulted by terminators. He claimed that they strike before I do because I didn't get cover. I argued what we've agreed on.

Initiative penalties have nothing to do with "cover" in this edition. It is all based upon whether the assaulting unit takes a difficult/Dangerous terrain test.

MCs must be covered for TLOS to get cover saves, even on area terrain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts