Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im confused :( because in the necron codex it says on the monolith's weapons: gause flux arc (see below). but it also has the particle whip but what i want to know is are the guns on the sides of the monolith for just the gause flux arc or are they a different weapon.

·
Registered
630 Posts
As far as I know the particle whip (ST9 pie plate?) Is shot from the crystal centralised on top of the model and cannot be destroyed.
The gauss flux arc (D6 shots per unit within 12"?) are shot from the four corner weapons.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Longbeard is correct. The guns on the corners are the gauss flux arc. They are modled this way to represent their rules of firing at so many targets at once in all directions. The particle whip comes from the giant crystal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's correct the four guns on each corner are your gauss flux arc, and the crystal is what causes your particle whip, but I prefer the idea that it comes from the portal, imagine it blasting out of there and lacerating enemies and dragging some into it's energies obliterating them from existence......... :D

Plus it would make the explanation on why you couldn't use the teleport and the particle whip in the same turn a lot easier :D

29 Posts
well no, the whip takes energy. i mean it projects a concentrated beam then bends it and cracks it like a whip. hence the name particle whip. so it takes a lot of energy.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Actually, the simplest method and therefore the one the most technologically advanced race ever would use would be to project it as a massive bolt of energy. Think of an ultra-slow-motion video of a lightning bolt. First, you have the little wispy flickering thread of ionised air twisting from the target to the crystal, then, the crystal shunts several teravolts of electric energy into the ionised thread, sending it towards the other end of the ionised thread, ripping the very molecules of the air apart and causing a massive noise, before blowing up an entire squad. I'd say it'd get the name Particle Whip because of the sound like a galactic-scale whip such a phenomenon would create, and also because of the wispy thread seen before the bolt of energy. This has the effects seen in all the fluff whilst remaining within the laws of physics we all know and love.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
uberschveinen said:
Actually, the simplest method and therefore the one the most technologically advanced race ever would use would be to project it as a massive bolt of energy. Think of an ultra-slow-motion video of a lightning bolt. First, you have the little wispy flickering thread of ionised air twisting from the target to the crystal, then, the crystal shunts several teravolts of electric energy into the ionised thread, sending it towards the other end of the ionised thread, ripping the very molecules of the air apart and causing a massive noise, before blowing up an entire squad. I'd say it'd get the name Particle Whip because of the sound like a galactic-scale whip such a phenomenon would create, and also because of the wispy thread seen before the bolt of energy. This has the effects seen in all the fluff whilst remaining within the laws of physics we all know and love.
Totally agreed.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Per squad aimed at ^^, since it targets all squads within 12", all those targeted sqauds recieve D6 attacks from it

·
Banned
801 Posts
Every squad with an in-ranged member, Monstrous Creature, vehicle and Indpendent Character (more than 6" [or 12" or something] thanks to restrictions) within the 12" radius will take d6 hits, after modifying the result by -1 for each Weapon Destroyed result the Monolith has taken thus far.

Damnit, I didn't get the words particle, shunt or teravolt in there. This thread's going downhill.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
ok kool, just wanted to make sure that it becomes the first thing destroyed on mi opponents side. i remeba facing him once, he deepstriked it, and it landed, shot at like 5 squads and 2 tanks, i saved everything and destroyed it with a predator annihilator with one shot. You should have seen the look on his face man, it was the funniest thing ever. after that i demolished him.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
DaemonsR'us said:
Per squad aimed at ^^, since it targets all squads within 12", all those targeted sqauds recieve D6 attacks from it
Targets all eligible targets within 12". So units in hth, out of LOS, or ICs that are not the closest target cannot be shot at.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Yeah, but you'd be surprised what someone desperate will try to pull. It's not like it's that hard to twist the logic in this game. For example, one could say that a force weapon inflicts instant death in a similar manner to a weapon double the target's toughness-- the effect is identical. Thus, a daemon rune/adamantine mantle could protect the target. In my book, that's not correct due to the wording of the force weapon's ability to cause "outright" rather than "instant" death-- but both arguments hold some valid point in their logic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts