Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as a Nid player, I've never used vehicles.

Getting into Necrons, the Monolith automatically got me excited.
Question though, if I fire the Whip, can I use the other weapons too?

Ordinance makes it so I can only shoot once, right?

·
Registered
538 Posts
if you move,then scatter 2d6 and pick the highest. also doesn't follow normal blast marker rules. whatever ends up under the hole: that model takes an ap 1 hit (if wounded or equal armor value).
correct-- only shoot 1 wpn or the other.

·
Banned
801 Posts
If you have a clue how to make a good Necron army, you will find the prospect of the teleport and free second WBB with Orb effect so much more enticing than a paltry Battle Cannon shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Firstly, there are TWo potenial weapons on the Monolith. The power matrix with 2 functions & the Gaus Flux Arc Projectors ( the swivelling things on the corners)

You can always use the Flux Arc's to shoot D6 enemy units

the Pwoer Matrix is the thing that you chosse whether to teleport or fire

The Power matrix description says it may be used even if the monlith moves, is shaken or stunned & that it can't be destroyed. It then describes the 2 uses that you can put it to, shooting or teleporting.

uberschveinen is wise insuggesting that pulling troops out of close combat & then firing at the former assaulters is very powerful

As an interesting aside much debate rages about how many units that you can pull out this way. The language is a little ambiguous mentioning "entire necron units" plural and the term a unit with a model within 18" elsewhere

Either way, if you have no reserves to bring on you can always fire the power matrix. pg 21 Necromn Codex

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
sorry mate, your wrong. You cannot always shoot the Flux Arc. The Monolith still follows the same shooting rules for other vehicles, meaning, if you shoot the particle whip, you cannot shoot the flux arc. The particle whip is an Ordinance weapon, and the main rulebook states that if you move 6" with a skimmer, you may fire 1 ordinance weapon OR 1 main weapon and all defensive weapons. Same goes for not moving at all. Therefore by firing the particle whip, you deny yourself usage of the flux arc.

·
Banned
91 Posts
If you get the first shooting phase then drop a pie plate. If you suffered less then 10% casualties on any unit from return fire then continue to drop pie plates.

The teleport option is thier to protect your Necrons from casualties, boost thier manuverability, and play mind games.

If you play with a phallanx you can teleport a Necron unit out of CC after your turned your monolith around and then rapid fire the enemy from both the front and backside while obstructing LOS to some of the Necrons.

Really a fun vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sorry mate, your wrong. You cannot always shoot the Flux Arc. The Monolith still follows the same shooting rules for other vehicles, meaning, if you shoot the particle whip, you cannot shoot the flux arc. The particle whip is an Ordinance weapon, and the main rulebook states that if you move 6" with a skimmer, you may fire 1 ordinance weapon OR 1 main weapon and all defensive weapons. Same goes for not moving at all. Therefore by firing the particle whip, you deny yourself usage of the flux arc.
I'd have to say I disagree with this interpretation. the Flux Arc's are defensive in that tthey are less than S7, agreed.

But the description of the Power Matrix is quite clear in stating the geneneral conditions that it over-rules. Namely, movement and damage. It does NOT qualify to which of the two uses available that the Power Matrix can be put that these changes apply to. Only that the power matrix supercedes the general rule.

That's certainly our group's reading of the rules as written. Why include a phrase that says this particular device ignores this particular rule at all if that were the case? 40k is full of race specific gizmos that have abilities that transcend the universal general rules. Why should this be any different?

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
The description says two things about the power matrix

1) It can't be destroyed
2) It can always fire

The first one is pretty straight forward and really has no effect on our discussion.

The second says it can always fire whether it moved or not or for whatever reason a weapon wouldn't be able to be fired. The rule doesn't state that it overrides shooting restrictions. So if I move a monolith 6 inches I can fire 1 ordinance weapon or 1 main weapon and all defensive weapons. Since I have no main weapon technically I have two options, I can fire my ordinance weapon or all my defensive weapons. So I decide to fire my power matrix cause I can no matter what and thus chose the option to fire my ordinance weapon thus I can't now choose the option to fire my defensive weapons.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Ok first off lets look at what the Monolith has listed as its weapons. Guass Flux Arcs. Period. The Guass Flux Arcs are the Monoliths only "Weapons".

Now lets read the Guass Flux Arcs weapon description.
bgb said:
The Flux Arc projectors will fire D6 shots at every enemy unit with a model within 12" of the Monolith. Each 'weapon destroyed' result inflicted on the Monolith reduces the number of shots at each target by -1.
I enfasize the will part above to show that you have no choice in the matter. You cant choose to not fire the flux arc projectors. They fire automatically at every unit within 12" whether you want them to or not.

Now the Power Matrix has in its description that it may always be used one of two ways. One of the ways is to discharge its energy as a particle whip. Does it say that one of the ways is "as an ordanance weapon"? No. Does it matter that the particle whip is an ordanance weapon? No. As it says... "It may always be used"

Now with the only weapon being something you cant choose not to shoot and the other "weapon" as yall call it listed under a rule that states "It may always be used" I would say that clearly it was meant to always be able to fire both weapons regardless of the the BGB universal rules. Necrons are tough. Their living metal. The monolith is living metal and thats not just in it fluff. The Power Matrix cannot be destroyed by any weapon destroyed rolls so its not a weapon. Its a special ability/rule. Does this make it seem over powered? Probably but then again thats for another debate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Bishop120

that's exactly what I was trying to say. The specific description of the vehicles abilities take precedence over general conditions

1 - 20 of 26 Posts