Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, an old friend of mine has recently started 40k. We arranged a game, and I wrote a list of necrons. For a newb, he had a pretty good track record (100%-:shok:), so I arranged my trusty 2 lith list.

As I prepared to drop my first particle whip, I picked up the ol` 5" template. He pointed out that Ordnance weapons always use the large blast unless otherwise specified in their entry.

But in my codex, the particle whip reads as: Ordnance 1/ Blast.

The word "large" is sadly absent from that description. The local GW staff member had to concede that the PW now had to use the 3" blast.

Am I missing some crucial tidbit of info, or has 5th ed. fucked me over yet again? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
632 Posts
I think i read another post somwhere that is does use the 5" template ordanace, there was mention of it also in the FAQ on the GW website. Gw staff members are wankers when it comes to playing games and reaching a decsion about rules, i dont think they know halve of them lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
All ordnance weapons use a Large Blast template. I almost cried when my BA vindicators only said Ordnance 1, blast =[ but i read the rulings on it. thankfully its still a large blast.

~Gold~

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I`ll look into it, thanks. It HAS to be 5", right?

EDIT: Got it! FAQ says 5" blast. Thank fuck for that. Whew, that was a scary few minutes.

This thread is now about how necrons could be improved. I could go on forever, but my biggest gripe is that pariahs need a huge overhaul. Awesome models, zero practicality. Right?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes. if the PW is an Ordnance weapon then it MUST use a 5inch large blast template. Look under Ordnance weapons and it describes the rules. I feel for the necrons as they were my first army =P
happy gaming =]
~Gold~

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gold.

i need a rematch! Seriously, the PW would have made ALL the difference.

Gonna go cry in the corner... :cray:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
if i remeber right all "ordinace" wepaons are large Blast. I have someone trying to say that a blood angles Vindicator doesn't shoot a blast marker so it's often missed. The fact is that it still fires a 5" marker.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
The rules in the BRB state that all Ordnance blasts are large, BUT not all Ordnance weapons are blast. This is why the weapon profiles have to say blast in order to use a template. Ordnance also means you get a preferential dice roll on AP, and that the weapon is too large to be used by non-vehicle units, so even if the weapon is not blast it still has some advantages. Page reference = page 58, bottom left. Notice here that it specifically separates out Ordnance Blast weapons as a being different from simple Ordnance.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
if i remeber right all "ordinace" wepaons are large Blast. I have someone trying to say that a blood angles Vindicator doesn't shoot a blast marker so it's often missed. The fact is that it still fires a 5" marker.
Not quite. All Ordnance Blast weapons use the large blast template. As darklove pointed out there. But the Blood Angels Vindicator is not Blast so uses no template at all. This is probably a mistake in the codex but RAW right now it is not blast and will use no template.

Aramoro

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
OP question resolved + multiple misspellings of "Ordnance"+ Advocating violence + digging up old RAW arguments pre-FAQ= ::Click::

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.