Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KK so I've started necrons and there awesome but I need help with 1 thing whether to get a monolith or not

pros
awesome model
I have never seen one get wrecked
it has some pretty awesome weapons
its the only transport necrons have access to

cons
its £37.50
I hear its hard to put together
its 235 points I only have 848 points and I usualy play 1000 point games
(not sure if that's a pro or con as id have to get rid of my rambo scarabs who managed to keep a prime locked in combat from turn 1 to tun 6)

show me some love and give me some help

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
They are worth the points.
But are they worth the points to you?
Those scarabs seem to work pretty well for you. Saying that: In all cases i've fielded a Monolith (or 2) against tyranids; its been: Prime...? what Prime?
I'd say chuck one in.

SGMAlice

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
You should buy 2.

In most games up to 1.5k you will use 1, in most game up to 2k you will use 2.
There are many Necron Tacticas and Lists that explain the uses of Monoliths. If you are serious about playing Necrons then this is not an optional unit, just as the Deceiver and Destroyers are not optional.

It is not very hard to build.

My advice is that you should first look on Ebay, there might be cheap ones that you can do up.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks im planning on getting deceiver when i move up and the prime is a tyranid prime he couldnt ignore my armour saves and had realy bad rolls to hit only kill 3 bases the whole games

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Necrons are really tough, they are hard to kill. That is the default. The skill is in maximising the damage output to then go on to win the game. Not as easy.

Too many Warriors means not enough damage, too few means Phase Out risk.

In games up to 1.5k take 20 Warriors, in games up to 2k take 30 Warriors. Invest the rest of the Points into various combinations of Destroyers, Monoliths and C'tan.

I never Phase Out and I almost never take a RezOrb. You have to be playing very badly, or against someone that really understands Necrons, to ever lose by Phase Out.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kk ive done a bit of number crunching

if i get rid of 2 wariors and 1 scarab i fit mono in

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I totally spanked a CSM army with 3 Vindicators at 1.5k with the following list:

Nightbringer
Warriors x10
Warriors x10
Destroyers x3
Destroyers x3
Monolith
Monolith
=1,490pts
Keep the Warriors in reserve for table edge entry, rather than portal entry.

I must state here, as clearly as possible, that this is not an optimal list and that I only used it as a 'fun' list because I had not used the Nightbringer for a very long time.

The CSM player made a good game of it, and was a good sport, but the Necrons were just too much for him to deal with.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
honestly? i wouldnt go buying either of the C'tan. that necron dex, if my guess is right, should follow close behind the next imperial dex and i keep hearing both the C'tan are going to be apocalypse only.

on that i find a pair of lords with res orbs are typically more valuable, given their points costs and what they do for the army.

monoliths , however are a deffinate MUST have! best tank in the game bar none.

·
Registered
500 Posts
KK so I've started necrons and there awesome but I need help with 1 thing whether to get a monolith or not

pros
awesome model
I have never seen one get wrecked
it has some pretty awesome weapons
its the only transport necrons have access to

cons
its £37.50
I hear its hard to put together
its 235 points I only have 848 points and I usualy play 1000 point games
(not sure if that's a pro or con as id have to get rid of my rambo scarabs who managed to keep a prime locked in combat from turn 1 to tun 6)

show me some love and give me some help
well i just recently wrote army review on this post http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71445 and monoliths are well worth there points when I play I always run with 3 of them

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
3 is excessive. in your shoes for high points games i'd do two and a unit of heavy destroyers.
Correct :p three is excessive, They become a point sink after the second one. Not enough units to reduce 'Phase Out' risk; especially in low point games

SGMAlice

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I agree with everything that has been said; buy 2 of them.

P.S. Please, please, please use some punctuation. A period, if only just one, would be nice at the very least.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
your kinda getting off-topic i wanted to know if I should get ONE

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Sure. Two is so much better though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes. Get one for the sole fact they look awesome. Then you factor in how much they help in a game and whats not to love?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
on that i find a pair of lords with res orbs are typically more valuable, given their points costs and what they do for the army.
I assume you are being serious, but I don't get your logic. There are only 2 HQ slots. Why fill them with weaker units? I can't even remember the last time I used a Lord, let alone a RezOrb. They just aren't needed if you know how to play. In the game I used the above list in, the Nightbringer on his own made over 500pts of kills and lasted the whole game (against melta fire, plasma fire and everything S7+ the CSM player had). It also drew away a lot of enemy fire that could have been directed at the rest of my army. I lost a total of 4 models in the first 4 turns of the game, against an experienced opponent, and never found myself wishing for a RezOrb.

Not getting the most out of C'tan isn't a problem with the unit, but a problem with lack of ability on the part of the player.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I assume you are being serious, but I don't get your logic. There are only 2 HQ slots. Why fill them with weaker units? I can't even remember the last time I used a Lord, let alone a RezOrb. They just aren't needed if you know how to play. In the game I used the above list in, the Nightbringer on his own made over 500pts of kills and lasted the whole game (against melta fire, plasma fire and everything S7+ the CSM player had). It also drew away a lot of enemy fire that could have been directed at the rest of my army. I lost a total of 4 models in the first 4 turns of the game, against an experienced opponent, and never found myself wishing for a RezOrb.

Not getting the most out of C'tan isn't a problem with the unit, but a problem with lack of ability on the part of the player.
my problem with the C'tan is dual edged. A. there are strong rumors/hints/suggestions that they will not be in the next dex. B. that CSM player obviously didn't know what he was doing, wasting all that fire on the C'tan who is designed to just shrug it off is a horrible battle plan, he should have gone for phase out, which is much easier without the rez orbs.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
my problem with the C'tan is dual edged. A. there are strong rumors/hints/suggestions that they will not be in the next dex. B. that CSM player obviously didn't know what he was doing, wasting all that fire on the C'tan who is designed to just shrug it off is a horrible battle plan, he should have gone for phase out, which is much easier without the rez orbs.
Lol, I told you he was experienced. I am also a very experienced Necron player - there were no models with the Necron Special Rule for him to attack. Destroyers picked their targets carefully and I controlled LoS with the Monoliths - the Warriors were in reserve and didn't arrive until turn 3. The CSM player played well, but I played better. Rez Orbs are only needed by players that don't know how to play and need a safety net for when they cock-up, or for CC D-Lords that you intend to rush into the face of enemy CC units.

C'tan being removed from the codex is unlikely, to the extent that GW wants there to be more options of things to buy and not less. Making Lords more customisable will not increase the sales or increase the number of possible HQs that can be purchased. Think about it.
Worst case scenario: Lords will remodel their bodies to become uber-powerful and look like the C'tan. This would mean you get a Lord that looks like a C'tan and has the stats of a C'tan = you can still use the C'tan models. This is the only credible supposition at the moment, based on actual info from GW, and even that is stretching the interpretation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts