Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my sister looked at your comments and did agree that her list was a little slow, so she made some BIG changes IMO. Here it is.

HQ
Wolf Lord -(245)
-Frost Blade
-Stormshield
-Thunderwolf
-Wolftooth Necklace
-Saga of Warrior Born

Rune Priest -(150)
-Terminator Armour
-Power Fist
-Chooser of the Slain

Elites
4x Wolf Guard -(422)
-Terminator Armour
-Power Fists
-Land Raider

Troops
10x Grey Hunters -(150)

10x Grey Hunters -(185)
-Drop Pod

10x Grey Hunters -(195)
-Rhino w/ additional Storm Bolter

Fast Attack
5x Ferisian Wolves -(40)

Heavy Support
5x Long Fangs -(100)
-Lascannon

1500 solid again. Comment and tell us what you think.

·
Registered
89 Posts
every long fang after the first has to take a heavy weapon, so you might want to think about that.

the land raider redeemer or crusader is pretty much always a better choice than the regular one. if you have the bitz necessary for the conversion, go for it! oh, also, pretty much every land raider needs extra armour so it can deliver its payload (and the extra multi-melta is never a bad idea).

if you tone down the rune priest's wargear you should be able to get enough points for another rhino so your one squad of grey hunters doesnt have to walk alone. speaking of which, that podded squad could use a rhino instead as well :) otherwise you're sending 10 ld 8 marines into a vulnerable position with no transport. would be a good idea to get some meltaguns going in those squads (oh and the extra storm bolter is kind of a waste...)

your wolf lord probably doesn't need the WTN. i mean, he's already WS6!

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
No offence but this just got worse.... hell I think the rune priest may be illegal. Ok, you want a plain 100 point no bells and whistles rune priests, cheep and effective as all hell. What I like to do on the GH squads is give them 1 WG with a PF and maybe a CM if I have the points. The actual GH unit should be given 1 melta, MotW, and a standard, possible a PW if you are feeling spendy but Since I take a TWC unit I really don't need any extra punch. Be sure to give them rhinos, I just leave these standard. Next I would drop the wolves and add some TWC with 1 PF and 1SS at least but be sure to give them extra things so you can allocate wounds. After that I would include maybe 2 units of LFs with 5 ML or 3 units of 3 ML. OH and drop the current WG squad and the LR. And BTW, if you want anti AV14 land speeders with MM and HF is a good way to do it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey my sister looked at your comments and did agree that her list was a little slow, so she made some BIG changes IMO. Here it is.

HQ
Wolf Lord -(245)
-Frost Blade
-Stormshield
-Thunderwolf
-Wolftooth Necklace
-Saga of Warrior Born

Good. Cost effective and killy as hell. Consider changing to TH/SS or twin WCs/BoR, depening on whether you're going character hunting or scything down squads.

Rune Priest -(150)
-Terminator Armour
-Power Fist
-Chooser of the Slain

Problems: first, RPs can't take fists, and even if they coud you wouldn''t want to. He's basically equivalent to a WG in combat (ie. he's shitty for an IC). Secondly you're running him in a LR, meaning he can't shoot power's out the top, and he's with the termies, where he's going to get killed. Generally keep these guys cheap and stick them in a rhino (meaning no termie armour) with GHs. In the list you're running that could be useful, or you could swap him for a termie WL/WGBL if you want to keep him with the termies. Also you have to choose psychic powers in the list.

Elites
4x Wolf Guard -(422)
-Terminator Armour
-Power Fists
-Land Raider

These guy's I don't like. There're too undecided. They've got SBs so they want to shoot, but you gave them fists so they're meant to assault. Plus you gave them a stock LR which suffers from extreme multipurpose syndrome (it's a gun tank that carries terminator who can assault). Choose what you want to do. Since you aren't running Grimnar you probably want an assault unit to save you're GHs asses. This means all either twin WCs, TH/SS, or CF/combi-melta (in any combination). Also, switch the LR to a crusader, and give it a MM and EA. Single Raider's a bad idea usually though, so consider dropping them.

Troops
10x Grey Hunters -(150)

Need a Rhino, a sarge, and special weapons/wargear. Discuss below.

10x Grey Hunters -(185)
-Drop Pod

Make it rhino and see below comments.

10x Grey Hunters -(195)

All of your GHs need work. Firstly, Rhinos are mandatory for this list. They give you cheap massed armour to block, tank-shock, and screen with, plus giving your GHs a ride to the fight and a bucker to shoot out of. All for 35 points. Take'm. Secondly, our special weapons are cheap as shit, and really help the squad. Make the points for them. And give them WS, they save your ass in combat. MotW helps too. Also lose the second SB.

Fast Attack
5x Ferisian Wolves -(40)

Ablative wounds for your WL? He can take two of them himself, and you can screen him with your Rhinos/Raider. Use these points for another Rhino.

Heavy Support
5x Long Fangs -(100)
-Lascannon

Illegal squad! All LFs must take a heavy weapon. Also MLs are better.not really sure what this is supposed to do, a single lascannon isn't much of a threat. probably drop this squad.

Better than my first list, which basically means not god-awful. You've got Some big gaps (mainly anti-transport and fast melta). Here's the suggestion:

HQ
Wolf Lord
w/ TWM, TH, SS, 2 wolves, SotWB

HQ
RP w/ LL, MH
w/ CotS, WTN, SotBS
Stick him with some GHs in a Rhino and LL out the top to kill Rhinos. And if you pull up and hop out next to a hoard, then you can slow them down and kill some of them with MH.

Elites
5 WG
w/ combi-meltas
Pod
Drop in and kill something. Something important. Like a LR. Or a MC.

Elites
Dread
w/ 2 TL ACs
Pops Rhinos.

Troops
9 WG
w/ WS, MotW, meltagun
Rhino
WG w/ fist, combi-flame
Take care of whatever you need to take care of. Combi-flame hordes, melta tanks, and get charged after your rapid fire only to bust out the WS, counter-attack, and win the combat. All for 15 points a piece. :grin:

Troops
8 WG
w/ WS, MotW, meltagun
Rhino
WG w/ fist, combi-flame
Priest rides with them.

Troops
10 WG
w/ WS, MotW, 2 plasma guns
Rhino
Cheap plasma shots. Kill termies, MCs, etc.

FA
Speeder
w/ MM, HF

FA
Speeder
w/ MM, HF

Run up and flame hordes/melta tanks. Or DS and do the same. Always a good choice.

While there you go. Voila. It's quite a bit different, but it'll work. PM me if you have questions.

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Still not enough anti-armor going on here. All you have is the one lascannon, and what, five power fists (four of which are in one unit). You REALLY need to be able to crack open transports in 40k nowadays since everything is meched up and having long fangs with missile launchers and lascannons is the best way to do it. I would also suggest your sister thoroughly look through the codex again to make sure she has every nuance down as either you forgot to write down stuff or you are purposefully putting yourself at a disadvantage.

All long fangs need an upgraded weapon besides the squad leader.

Rune Priests are much better without all the wargear imo. You can take two for around 200 points and then you can shoot at two different units a turn.

Ten man units of grey hunters can take a flamer (free first weapon) and a free second weapon once the unit has ten models (9 grey hunters + 1 wolf guard or 10 grey hunters for example).

Drop podded units should have a purpose. A common role for a single pod is a suicide unit filled with melta so you can take down a dangerous tank quickly. Maybe wolf guard w/ combi melta and five grey hunters with a meltagun could work.

As everyone has said, take rhinos for your grey hunters units.

Alternatively if you want to stick with wolf guard you should think of a loganwing army. Logan Grimnar is a beastly HQ and taking wolf guard as troops is fantastic. It's a tough as nails list but needs a higher point limit to be really effective.

I highly suggest thinking of a clear strategy to build a list around such as loganwing, all mech, footslogging, TWC, or gunline for example.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Ten man units of grey hunters can take a flamer (free first weapon) and a free second weapon once the unit has ten models (9 grey hunters + 1 wolf guard or 10 grey hunters for example).
Idk I may be have misunderstood what you were trying to say here but you need 10 gray hunters in order to take a second special weapon. WG don't count to that number.

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Why not? It says, "If the squad numbers ten models, a second Grey Hunter may replace his bolter with a weapon from the above list at no additional cost."

It does not say ten grey hunters but instead ten models.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's in the FAQ. It must be 10 grey hunters for the free special weapon. Sadly the Wolf guard does not count.

Looking at the list I would rather have a 6 man unit of long fangs with ML then a auto cannon dread. They will last longer ang punch through more armour as well as being able to split shots. I generally take two units of long fangs and it is definitly worth putting some las cannons in one, if not two of the units. From experience you want two or three las cannons in a unit before deciding to upgrade another. I often then make the rest of teh heavy weapons in that unit heavy bolters as cheap ablatives for the las cannon.

Recent expereince has found that the wolf lord is not always points effecinet but as long as the rest of teh grey hunters are strong he should act as a bullet magnet for the opponent and allow the grey hunters to do their thing.

One drop pod is a bit useless. I would use the wolf guard as pack leaders and consider a unit of scouts if you want to mess around in the deployment zone.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Again, I would also add a unit of TWC to of with the wolf lord in order to give it some real CC punch. I also wouldn’t use plasma because it has a bad habit of going up in your face.

·
Registered
155 Posts

HQ
Wolf Lord -(245)
-Frost Blade
-Stormshield
-Thunderwolf
-Wolftooth Necklace
-Saga of Warrior Born

Rune Priest -(150)
-Terminator Armour
-Power Fist
-Chooser of the Slain

Elites
4x Wolf Guard -(422)
-Terminator Armour
-Power Fists
-Land Raider

Troops
10x Grey Hunters -(150)

10x Grey Hunters -(185)
-Drop Pod

10x Grey Hunters -(195)

Fast Attack
5x Ferisian Wolves -(40)

Heavy Support
5x Long Fangs -(100)
-Lascannon

ok before you try another list either buy a codex or just READ the one you have. everyone has already told you the problems with this. besides that your list is god awful.

your using some good stuff, some, but if you spam grey hunters you need to make it either a drop pod list, which sucks IMO, or rhinos for a rhino rush. which isn't that much better.

Once again i must be the one to harp about checking your points, besides the fangs, which have been pointed out, your terminators are wrong. at least they are from what i can tell, "fists" is so generalized i assume it's for everyone.

I don't mind standard land riaders. i feel that 2 twin linked lass cannons that can fire in two directions and also move 6' a turn is pretty awesome. you prolly want to get to the enemy and drop your load but after that the lass comes into play and is pretty awesome. thats not so much to help OP but im just voicing an opinion lol.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Better than my first list, which basically means not god-awful. You've got Some big gaps (mainly anti-transport and fast melta). Here's the suggestion:

HQ
Wolf Lord
w/ TWM, TH, SS, 2 wolves, SotWB

HQ
RP w/ LL, MH
w/ CotS, WTN, SotBS
Stick him with some GHs in a Rhino and LL out the top to kill Rhinos. And if you pull up and hop out next to a hoard, then you can slow them down and kill some of them with MH.

Elites
5 WG
w/ combi-meltas
Pod
Drop in and kill something. Something important. Like a LR. Or a MC.

Elites
Dread
w/ 2 TL ACs
Pops Rhinos.

Troops
9 WG
w/ WS, MotW, meltagun
Rhino
WG w/ fist, combi-flame
Take care of whatever you need to take care of. Combi-flame hordes, melta tanks, and get charged after your rapid fire only to bust out the WS, counter-attack, and win the combat. All for 15 points a piece. :grin:

Troops
8 WG
w/ WS, MotW, meltagun
Rhino
WG w/ fist, combi-flame
Priest rides with them.

Troops
10 WG
w/ WS, MotW, 2 plasma guns
Rhino
Cheap plasma shots. Kill termies, MCs, etc.

FA
Speeder
w/ MM, HF

FA
Speeder
w/ MM, HF

Run up and flame hordes/melta tanks. Or DS and do the same. Always a good choice.

While there you go. Voila. It's quite a bit different, but it'll work. PM me if you have questions.
did you mean grey hunters? also, no heavy support?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah I meant GHs, and yes, no HS. That list isn't static, HS is. Hence the lack.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
@ raptor,
A good space wolf list should use LFs as their heavy firepower. TBH all that WG drop unit will do is come in, kill one thing, and then die. Better to drop in a unit of MM LF. The double AC dread isn't nearly as efficient as a unit of ML LFs so I wouldn’t even consider using that. I wouldn’t use a TH on a lord with a TWM because it slows him down too much and a FB will do just fine. If you are going to make a fast moving SW list wtf wouldn’t you include some TWC?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah I meant GHs, and yes, no HS. That list isn't static, HS is. Hence the lack.
uh ok, HS is static how? way to generalize a force org category by calling it static. seriously, heavy support is almost mandatory.

also did you say DS in that post meaning deep strike? we don't do that. they only way space wolves "deep strike" is in pods. even our terminator armor says we no likey deep strikey.

oh and gen ahab, why would you drop in MM long fangs. they count as moving the turn they come in. unless they are relentless because of logan you just made a pointless suicide. any unit deep striking counts as having moved in the previous movement phase and you can't shoot a heavy weapon if you moved that turn. and if you drop them really far away they arent doing anything with their range of 24".

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
That’s kind of who you do it with. lol I just forgot to say it tbh. I was making a fun Logan wing list of my own at the time and I was in full on logan wing mode.

·
Registered
314 Posts
@ raptor,
A good space wolf list should use LFs as their heavy firepower. TBH all that WG drop unit will do is come in, kill one thing, and then die. Better to drop in a unit of MM LF. The double AC dread isn't nearly as efficient as a unit of ML LFs so I wouldn’t even consider using that. I wouldn’t use a TH on a lord with a TWM because it slows him down too much and a FB will do just fine. If you are going to make a fast moving SW list wtf wouldn’t you include some TWC?
Because I have a list of models I'm working with and thunderwolf cav weren't on it, and they're hard/expensive to get.
And you're LF squad costs the same as the WG, has one less melta, and can't shoot when it makes planetfall. And is just as suicidal. Or you can make it a friggin third of their 1500 point army by adding Grimnar, in which you conveniently put him right where your opponent wants him: unable to assault and right in your face. It's like if a guy with no arms started crowding you, it's hilarious. He just gets shot to pieces before you can do anything. Sure it buys you a turn in which you're main force gets to advance without getting shot at but when it gets there it's outnumbered 3 to 2 points-wise. Bad idea. The WG will kill whatever you send them after (given it has an armour value) on turn one, and then have a decent chance of sticking around thanks to a vet statline and counter-attack. By sticking around I mean killing a bit of the squad that charges them and taking a while to kill. Al; for a modest 150 points. Yes please.
And on the flak-dread (aka rifleman dread): read YTTH. Stelek explains all. And as for why to take it over long fangs? It's not stuck in one place the entire game, can't be lashed, is immune to bolters, PRs, lasguns, etc. And it kills a Rhino a turn generally. Plus you can tarpit things. Good choice

uh ok, HS is static how? way to generalize a force org category by calling it static. seriously, heavy support is almost mandatory.

also did you say DS in that post meaning deep strike? we don't do that. they only way space wolves "deep strike" is in pods. even our terminator armor says we no likey deep strikey.

oh and gen ahab, why would you drop in MM long fangs. they count as moving the turn they come in. unless they are relentless because of logan you just made a pointless suicide. any unit deep striking counts as having moved in the previous movement phase and you can't shoot a heavy weapon if you moved that turn. and if you drop them really far away they arent doing anything with their range of 24".
Yes, HS is generally more static. LFs sit on yop of some ruins the entire game, preads sit in one place the entire time and shoot stuff or they aren't working right, and LRs are only taken to transport things (ie termies). So heavy support = static or transports.

And LSs can DS, it's in the fucking rulebook alnog with JPs ability to DS.

And Agreed on the LFs.

@ Tzu'Khanx: still working on the review, I'll try to get iy up tommorrow but no promises. Although with those models you might want to consider using Grimnar.

·
Registered
155 Posts
wow

i haven't heard anyone sound that dumb in a while.

logan and the long fangs is awesome.

as for heavy support, you didn't say space wolves heavy support, so defilers? how about fex's?
and even if im reading too much into it, whether it's static or not it's still useful.

and no, you can't always deep strike with them. in some missions and games yes, in all nope. i thought you where talking about something else to be honest. not that it matters.

and rifle man dreads, just because someone say's there good doesn't mean they are, blog or no blog. if you like em you like em, are they easy to kill, yes. can one missile take it out, yes. can one missile take out long fangs? nope.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts