Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, a mixture of sad and angry that this hasn't been brought up yet (probably more because of how much this speaks to me as an engineer); however given some of the things that pass for news these days its not the most surprising. After nearly a full day, the Costa Concordia is now upright since it went on its side off the coast of Giglio, Italy back in January of 2012.

Salvage crews completed setting the wreck of the Costa Concordia upright early Tuesday after a 19-hour-long operation off the Italian island of Giglio, where the huge cruise liner capsized 20 months ago.

Perhaps the most complex and expensive maritime salvage operation ever attempted saw the 114,500-ton ship pulled upright by a series of huge jacks and cables and set on artificial platforms drilled into the rocky sea bed.

The operation was completed at around 4 a.m. local time (10 p.m ET) without any significant problems.
"The ship has been settled onto its platforms," Franco Gabrielli, the head of Italy's Civil Protection Authority, told reporters and a group of cheering residents who waited up into the early hours of the morning to hear the news. "We have accomplished an important step toward removing the ship from the island."

The Costa Concordia, carrying more than 4,200 passengers, ran aground Jan. 13, 2012, off the coast of Italy, killing 32 people.

After a salvage operation estimated to have cost more than 600 million euros ($800 million), the hulk will remain in place for months more while it is stabilized and refloated before being towed away to be broken up for scrap.

The so-called parbuckling operation, in which the ship was painstakingly rotated upright, took longer than the 10-12 hours initially estimated, but engineers said the project had gone exceptionally smoothly.

"The rotation happened the way we thought it would happen and the way we hoped it would happen," said Franco Porcellacchia, leader of Costa Cruise's technical team, according to Reuters. "It was a perfect operation, I would say."

Engineers were successful on Monday in shifting the hull of the Costa Concordia ocean liner from the Italian reef where it has lain stricken since January 2012, according to reports. But progress was far slower than anticipated.

The daring attempt to pull the shipwrecked ocean liner upright began early Monday. Thunderstorms and lightning delayed the operation by around two hours, but at around 9 a.m. local time (3 a.m. ET) Italian officials gave the all clear for the 500-strong team of engineers to begin moving the giant vessel.

Engineers applied some 6,000 tons of force using a system of pulleys and counterweights, Sergio Girotto, a project manager for contractors Micoperi, told The Associated Press. And at around midday local time underwater cameras recorded water swirling around where the metal hull rested on the seabed.

Girotto said the cameras did not, however, reveal any sign of the two people who were not recovered among the 32 killed in the initial incident.

Officials stressed that no appreciable pollution has spewed out of the vessel, where vast stocks of food and drink have sat untouched for almost two years.

The cruise ship has lain partly submerged in shallow waters off the Tuscan island of Giglio since the accident in January 2012.

The liner hit a rock when it maneuvered too close to the island, prompting a chaotic evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew.

It took nearly two years to finally raise the hulking Costa Concordia cruise ship from its side to an upright position. NBC's Michelle Kosinski reports.

Salvage workers will continue to look for the bodies of the two missing people, an Italian and an Indian unaccounted for since the disaster, with underwater cameras combing the seabed.
The ship's owner last week estimated the cost of the salvage operation at $795 million "and rising."
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...issing-salvage
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/15/world/...ter/index.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24121480
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...ght-off-italy/

Personally I'm rather ecstatic they were able to pull off the parbuckling, the righting of a sunken vessel by applying leverage to rotate the vessel into an upright position from one where it is either on its side or fully inverted, given the Concordia's size and mass. However, theres still more work to be done before final decommissioning.

Unfortunately, beyond the most crucial of work, everything and anything else that can be done is now on hold while the search for the last two missing bodies, of the thirty two lost in all this, is conducted.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just read an article on this the day before they were going to raise it. Awesome they were able to get it up.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed, though I wish it was getting a bit more coverage than other things; mostly due to the fact that this is rather positive news for a change.

·
Banned
190 Posts
I think its a great engineering feat. There was abouta 10 second blurb on the local news about it.
Sadly it got such a short report because 49ers fans were more interested in complaining about Seahwls fans Volume 12 world record. Go figure

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Excellent achievement for the Engineers there. If only I could +Rep them :)

All that remains now, is do dump her on the captains front lawn and say "Fix this....". :wink:

·
Banned
190 Posts
Just noticed that nobody has mentioned the mass shooting in washington either? Can anyone say "more gun controls"?
Because the news has skewed what happened and not all the facts have come out such as the AR Shotgun the guy used which was actually a 870 pump action....

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because the news has skewed what happened and not all the facts have come out such as the AR Shotgun the guy used which was actually a 870 pump action....
Yeah theres been a lot of skewed and bad information for that one, but lets leave that to another thread and preferably after the mud-slinging, blaming (from all sides), and bad information starts to go away.

So back to the ship; anyone think they will find the two missing bodies?

·
8,723 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Agreed with Darkreever on this one, lets leave the bad news behind. :)

To be honest I'm happy they managed to pull the feat off, but what of the fuel in it's tanks? Or all the material that fell overboard? I cannot imagine thats good for the enviroment, especially with all the locals who have gone swimming around the damn thing.

·
8,723 Posts
I cannot imagine thats good for the enviroment, especially with all the locals who have gone swimming around the damn thing.
Are we including the captain in this? :wink:

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but what of the fuel in it's tanks?
You mean the fuel they had removed almost immediately? It has been nearly two years since it fell over and the crews their aren't that thick headed you know.

Right now its the polluted water now trapped in the ship thats the issue, especially considering the surrounding sea area is protected for the aquatic life (supposed to be a major location for dolphins I believe.)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Fingers crossed that they find the 2 missing people.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The biggest concern I saw was the food in the freezers.
Sea water soggy sandwhiches anyone?! ;)

It has been nearly two years since it fell over and the crews their aren't that thick headed you know.
Ok, I was unaware of that. Glad to hear. The second part is the sewage system waste I'm assuming. Though I'm no engineer I cannot imagine a cruise ship not having a hold to keep all that garbage in correct? Or do they little flush it out?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts