Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Fantasy Rumors
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
there appears to be a lot figures going away form our shops at the weekend,

via Natfka himself

What it looks like is a lot of Warhammer Fantasy, some Imperial Guard (that are probably being reboxed like we saw in the release schedule for this coming weekend.), quite a bit of Finecast characters, and LoTR box sets. Check out the emails this morning here, and the links to find out what may be going away.
via a reader here on Faeit 212
a large number of wood elves have dissapeared from the site including some of the direct only wardancers. Also my local stores are trying to sell a load of stuff quick before they move to direct only. This appears to be all finecast boxes and also a lot of finecast blisters like valkia the bloody. Also books like mighty empires and blood in the badlands. It also seems the mini packs such as 3 chaos warriors are going to. A lot of models are going to disappear off our shelves this weekend.

It appears actually to be ALL finecast products. They confirmed at my store every fincast LOTR model is going and from what they can tell every finecast single figure is going as well.

https://www.facebook.com/GWChelmsford/posts/601485009929486
Ok folks you have until the weekend to get these items Instore after they go back to head office and that will be the end of them so give me a shout if you are after any of them
via another reader on Faeit 212 (a google translation)
Today my local GW store published in their FB page a picture of discountinued stuff that they're going to ship back to the UK after this weekend. For the most part are WHFB and LOTR boxes though there is also the Catachan Command Squad and Catachan Battleforce in there.
"Every year at this time we do a refund to UK product that is becoming discontinued, whenever I do someone comes looking for any of these items and is disappointed not to see them in the store come for them, I hope that this will alleviate a small thing, so for me you are warned, this weekend you is the last thing I have these boxes displayed in store, thereafter ... or may be obtained or are available only through the website if you want something give me a hint (weak please) and I will keep up this Saturday ok? See you!"https://www.facebook.com/GWChelmsford/posts/601485009929486
this may mean that Wood elves are coming .:grin:

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Finecast getting pulled is to be expected honestly. It was only a matter of time before they dropped that. Perhaps next month we'll be seeing Finecast replaced with plastic or FW resin.

As for the Wood Elves, that's no surprise with rumors that they're getting updated later this year.

The mini packs (such as the 3 Chaos Warrior box or the 5 push fit Gaunts) don't suprise me either, most of those are ANCIENT kits that needed to be phased out or replaced.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I find it hard to believe they'll just recall and discontinue finecast. The sensible thing is to just leave them on the shelves until they sell out. Besides, while plastic moulding has come a long way, I don't think it's quite up to replicating the detail on something like Arjac Rockfist, with all the fiddly totems and very fine runes all over the mini.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I find it hard to believe they'll just recall and discontinue finecast.
Finecast has been pushing towards direct only for a while now, with stores getting fewer and fewer in

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
And most of it being direct only.

Edit: Also pulling the models is how they did the transfer from metal to Finecast so yeah, this fits.
we're probably going to see everything replaced by lead now :angel:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
We already went through that when they swapped from lead to white metal.
Yup, hence the innocent smilie, we're going to be see the return of finecast in the early thirties :p

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
No the product has to get worse, like be made of rancid yogurt, before lead would be a good move, even for GW.
No no, lead will see a return to quality (and chaos orks) followed by a return to white metal and then in 2031 "fantastic cast" which will be like finecast without any of the redeeming features (at this point SOB will all be plastic, sadly plastic will be ten years outdated at this point and we'll be using a new form of carbon for every other army including squats, chaos fishmen and space butterflys)

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
No no, lead will see a return to quality (and chaos orks) followed by a return to white metal and then in 2031 "fantastic cast" which will be like finecast without any of the redeeming features (at this point SOB will all be plastic, sadly plastic will be ten years outdated at this point and we'll be using a new form of carbon for every other army including squats, chaos fishmen and space butterflys)
Seems legit.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
As dead as Sisters are. A new name doesn't mean the loss of an army, just a rebranding.
The difference is that the Sisters of Battle have been the Adapta Soritas, for the "Imperial Guard" renaming they just pulled a new name out of their ass, picture it...do it...do it, and they didn't make it sound like a latinized version of 'Imperial Guard' no they call them SPACE MILITARY, Astra Militaria.

Look Astra, drop a add o, Star/Space, Militaria, drop ia add y, Military, put dat together you got SPACE MILITARY and the reasoning behind it because the western corporate world needs to TRADEMARK(TM) E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G(TM).

Edit: If it was Imperius Guardicus(TM), I could grudgingly accept it.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
The difference is that the Sisters of Battle have been the Adapta Soritas, for the "Imperial Guard" renaming they just pulled a new name out of their ass, picture it...do it...do it, and they didn't make it sound like a latinized version of 'Imperial Guard' no they call them SPACE MILITARY, Astra Militaria.

Look Astra, drop a add o, Star/Space, Militaria, drop ia add y, Military, put dat together you got SPACE MILITARY and the reasoning behind it because the western corporate world needs to TRADEMARK E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G(TM).

Edit: If it was Imperius Guardicus(TM), I could grudgingly accept it.
They have given them a "High Gothic" branding. Better than naming the Guard after the High Lord branch they fall under: the Administratum. You'd get jokes about being an army of clerks.

And yes, GW is obviously trying to cover their butts trademark wise. But considering who owns Star Wars I would too. Any product I have that sounds like it might be a reference to that series would get a rename so fast that Mickey's head would spin.

When it comes to IP law matters Disney is FAR more aggressive than GW ever has been. Disney is almost solely responsible for having an extension to how long a Copyright is good for just so they could retain copyright on Mickey Mouse (they still hold a Trademark regardless so it's not like he'd stop being protected, but they want BOTH).

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
They have given them a "High Gothic" branding. Better than naming the Guard after the High Lord branch they fall under: the Administratum. You'd get jokes about being an army of clerks.

And yes, GW is obviously trying to cover their butts trademark wise. But considering who owns Star Wars I would too. Any product I have that sounds like it might be a reference to that series would get a rename so fast that Mickey's head would spin.

When it comes to IP law matters Disney is FAR more aggressive than GW ever has been. Disney is almost solely responsible for having an extension to how long a Copyright is good for just so they could retain copyright on Mickey Mouse (they still hold a Trademark regardless so it's not like he'd stop being protected, but they want BOTH).
I would take Administratum(TM) over SPACE MILITARY(TM).

I know Disney (TM) is far worst than Games Workshop(TM), but Disney(TM) can't TM the Imperial Guard for the same reason Games Workshop (TM) can't or the same reason Bethseda (TM) can't TM Scroll or Disney (TM) doing to Day of the Dead (although as I understand they faced a huge backlash when they tried), they are to common.

If(TM) corporations(TM) get(TM) their(TM) way(TM) you(TM) won't(TM) be(TM) able(TM) to(TM) take(TM) a(TM) piss(TM) with(TM) without(TM) paying(TM) them(TM).

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
GW at least tried to put an original name on it rather than trademarking more existing terms. I don't see "Astro Militarium" entering the public lexicon anytime soon, and it gives them a protectable term to protect their IP better if another Chapterhouse incident occurs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts