Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a quick quandary, am slowly working my way though an entry for the monthly painting competition (finally decided to get off my ass and enter), I'm painting up one of the khromlech Juggernaughts (Mega nob). But I'm coming up with an odd problem the model itself is highly detailed. The model has wiring all over it and a variety to gliffs and markings which are extremely shallow near flush to the model.

So i pose this question?

What level is to much?

With technology getting better and better models which are computer created then printed but machines so precise they can produce wires which are proably less that a millimeter in width. Is this too much to paint? Creating difficulty where it is already difficult a task in the first place.

These photos are me trying to demonstrate what i mean, the red is showing some of the many wiring that is some of the basic detail that is on this model:

Secondary question what is the most detailed and least detailed model you've worked on?

Im thinking this Khromlech mega nob and some lead cannons a freind cast me ages ago. From almost no detail save the casting errors and shape of the barrel and end to something that I'm concerned for my ability to paint later details on.

That all, for my ramblings for now.

·
Miniature's Surgeon
881 Posts
From a sculpting point of view, getting more detail is part of the fun. Yes it does makes things harder, but it's also more rewarding and realistic.

If detail is too much, you could possibly dull it down a bit. Or paint it with less attention.

Sometimes the detail isn't enough which is why people like to further it with their painting or modifying (weathering adds loads of detail).

Then there the whole what actually gets seen and seen by camera side. Yeh it might be badass doing something cool no one will see (like an interior), but at the same time you're a fool if nothing really is gained from it. I guess that's the point where it's getting too much.

I guess another point is to consider the intention of the model. If it's highly detailed, then presumably it's to be viewed pretty close. And when you look at things close, you tend to want the detail to hold up. When there's less detail, it's easier to still recognise what you're looking at from a distance. Thus adding detail onto something far away might be pointless (can't be seen). But arguing that, you may still want some detail in case someone was zoomed in with a camera.

-just some thoughts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Is this too much to paint?
There is never too much to paint. The more attention you pay, the bigger the payout in my experience. Some of my favourite models were ones that I entered in the painting competition on Heresy and were ones that I spent hours agonizing over the details on. One of which was a Callidus which has a stellar lack of finicky details and as such presented a much harder canvas for me to paint whereas my BA Captain that had little fancy dangly bits everywhere was almost easier. The more 3D a model can be the more paint-by-numbers it becomes for me. I get more options for me to go into detail on without worrying about freehand skills (or whatever other needlessly finicky skill be applied) and even if I don't a patient attention to lines between colours will yield a firggin' sweet model.

I'd be more worried about taking a month to just get the base coats down on a model as detailed as your Ork there, to be sure! :laugh:

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes you certainly arn't wrong, more details can be good but in this case i limits the amount of details that i can paint myself, seeming more akin to a coloring book. Colors between the lines, no real chance for freehand or even small details like battle damage.

If you struggle with detail, you should follow this guy's painting guide. He taught me everything I know.

https://youtu.be/FayBHOhucf0
Its not the difficulty as to say, its just the surpise with how much is cramed in, similar models the games workshop mega nobs have lots more flat space for other options see above ^.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
when i have too much detail for my taste, i use washes and simply camouflage with paint some areas, or even trim it off... however, more detail is hardly a concern to me. i like it (mostly...)

·
Registered
278 Posts
A highly detailed model is a thing to be approached with caution and patience. For me Angron and Asterion Moloc would have to be up there with the most detailed I've come across

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I quite like the Kromlech Meganobz, to be honest, but I absolutely agree that detail can go over the top. More and more GW models, but most noticeably the Varanguard, are just grotesque in the amount of detail that makes the model ridiculously busy and detracts far more than it adds. There's nothing wrong with detail - you need it to make the model interesting, I dare say - but there's certainly a sweet spot between blandly spartan and tastelessly opulent.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I quite like the Kromlech Meganobz, to be honest, but I absolutely agree that detail can go over the top. More and more GW models, but most noticeably the Varanguard, are just grotesque in the amount of detail that makes the model ridiculously busy and detracts far more than it adds. There's nothing wrong with detail - you need it to make the model interesting, I dare say - but there's certainly a sweet spot between blandly spartan and tastelessly opulent.
This is what i was trying to say but much more eloquently.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just paint as much detail as you feel comfortable with. The majority of the meganobs armour would probably be a metal colour. With a bit of dry-brushing and some targeted washes he will look good. Take your time with washes, it is tempting to just slosh it on, but with a little patience you can target the areas which need it most.

Then pick out a couple of details that you feel comfortable painting. But yeah, some models can seem very daunting at first look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts