Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am heading off to Uni and I need a way to get models up there(plane ride) and then once im up there get them to the store(in a backpack). I have heard of the battlefoam etc but it seems expensive, is there any other alternatives to transport models safely? Oh and I have HE and BA so lots of jumppacks and spearmen, basically a mix of model sizes.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Well, do you have plenty of cardboard on hand?

This is a very crude way to transport models as it is asking for chipped paint, ect. But it gets the job done if all else fails. I use an empty boot box and made a bunch of barriers using spare cardboard to section off models. Tac marines in one section, tanks in the larger area, ect. The ones I have painted/care about are wrapped with paper towel.

It's an idea. Perhaps not the most preferable but, as I said, it gets the job done with limited resources.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Looking to try and keep my paint chipless but if all else fails i have a solution.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If they are platic you could probably try and use those foam potatoe chip things. Very cheap and most craft stores would have them. Just layer it and put something on the sides and botom of the box to stop them possibly sifting through.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Battlefoam is expensive, but foam isn't. See if there are any upholstery or fabric shops near you. Eggbox style foam isn't too bad for storing models once it's combined with a few cardboard boxes.

There's probably somewhere on the internet you can get it if you don't have a local shop.

In my town theres a market stall open every wednesday with a guy just selling foam, it's very odd but handy :victory:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a good idea varakir, do you just cut out shapes in the foam or create the little boxes etc like the battlefoams??

·
Registered
383 Posts
I use a Plano brand large Tackle Box(for Fishing) and line the trays with the blister foam pieces or whatever soft material I have on hand..(old rags, socks, whatever..cut up to fit in the tray)

It's big enough to carry 30 Marines, 1 Chaos Lord, 5-6 SM character models, AoBR ork warboss, 20 boyz, 10 Daemonettes, Land Raider, 2 Dreadnoughts, 3 Deffkoptas, 5 Nobz, 10 Terminators, my Lego Storm Raven, all my paint......well, you get the point. It carries everything, including my templates and dice and measuring tapes. Basically anything 40k related except the rule book and my IA book, which I keep in a binder, all fits in that tackle box.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Poundland are selling camping mats for £1. Cut it up and you have some cheap foam. It's not squishy like GW stuff but it'll do as long as you think about how you package everything (make lots of mini-boxes to put a model or two in and line it, then put polystyrene chips in to stop them floating around in the box and hitting everyone else.

·
Registered
383 Posts
these are $5 each so buy a couple bait & tackle boxes, like the ones used for fishing!

View attachment 6962
The tackle box I use comes with 2 of those or something similar that slide into the box as well as having 2 trays and a large top area for bigger stuff. The box is very bulky, but with everything it holds, it should be..

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet that would probably work out nicely. Does that tackle box fit in a backpack?? Also you think its got enough slots to fit large models bc most of my stuff is spearmen/assualt marines? Oh and were did you get the box?

·
Registered
941 Posts
easily, the big ones I have are 7.5" by 7.5", and the little one is 7.5" by 5.5" (for my frieds in the UK, an inch is about 2 centimeters)

also, the dividers are remuvable, so take out a couple dividers and it'll fit anything!

·
Registered
19 Posts
One of my friends uses a large box lined with duct tape in a way that exposes the sticky side. Assuming a model isn't too heavy, they stick neatly to the tape and come off easily when you want to remove them.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
One of my friends uses a large box lined with duct tape in a way that exposes the sticky side. Assuming a model isn't too heavy, they stick neatly to the tape and come off easily when you want to remove them.
Have they never fallen over? it's an innovative idea but it sounds like a recipe for chipped paint to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have they never fallen over? it's an innovative idea but it sounds like a recipe for chipped paint to me.
Like I said, it's mainly for light models, I couldn't tell you how well it works for full metal ones, as he carries those separate. It works just fine for the plastics though.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
easily, the big ones I have are 7.5" by 7.5", and the little one is 7.5" by 5.5" (for my frieds in the UK, an inch is about 2 centimeters)

also, the dividers are remuvable, so take out a couple dividers and it'll fit anything!
Most of us know that an inch is 2.54cm's. Remember inches are the game measurment for 40k :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
for larger models
i use envelopes with a buddle wrap lining to transport my eldar tanks. I put a little kitchen role in for extra padding. Some electrical appliance stores sell a container for camera lenses that looks very similar to removable foam used in model casing, don't know if it would fit in a rucksack though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts