Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the models bases were sticking out of the piece of terrain and I was trying to assault them across clear ground. 6" would let me get into b2b with some of them and not put MY guys into the terrain. I did not think that I had to roll for a distance check, but was told that since his models were in terrain that I would be assaulting into cover and only got 5" on the roll. I was pissed cause I think I got fucked but could not find anything in the BRB to counter it. I have really only been playing for a little more than a year and do not know all the rules by heart yet and this forum has been very helpful thus far. Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
If they were in terrain, then you have to roll a diff terrain test to see how far you could move. If you fail to roll high enough, you CANNOT assault someone else, and you're pretty much going to be boned.

Sucks, but that's how it works. Also because YOU rolled, those guys are going to be striking at Init 1 (unless they have frags).

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
It is a sticky stituation this one, and requires a bit of thought from both players.

The fact is, if any of your models would have to enter the terrain as part of their normal assault move, then you would have to take the terrain test, and abide by it. If the enemy unit was depolyed so that only half of each of the models were in terrain, and your guys could assault them all without going through any terrain, then no terrain check is needed. If the unit is half in terrain, and half not, then you need to work out weather your guys would try to move through the terrain, before you roll.

The best way to work it out is imagine there was no terrain, work out where your models would have to move following the rules on P 34. If they could follow those rules without ever touching terrain (including the bit about contacting as many enemy models as possible), then you can assault without penalty. If you would have to move onto terrain to follow those rules, you would have to take the terrain check, and then move the models from there. If it is not apparent (or there is a disagreement with your opponent) whether you would have to test when moving normally, it's best to 4+ it, unless you have the time to go through and work out where every model would be.

This creates some situations where, if you were close to an enemy unit that had half it's models in terrain, you would have to try to assault all of them, and thusly take a terrain test, which might not make it at all, while if you were far away from that unit, you could assault the closer models outside of the terrrain, without having to move into it at all, and thusly make the distance easily. Yes, it's kind of stupid that being further away can be an advantage sometimes, but thems the breaks, as they say.

I hope that helps somewhat :)

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Yeah, that.
If for example only one of your models could reach the enemy, and the closest enemy model was poking out of the terrain, then you don't take a test, and therefore don't strike at I1.

Basically, the easiest way to work out if you'll have to take a DT test is to measure the charge distance to the models they will have to end up trying to reach (work out the position of your own guys in your head, or on the board).

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
But note that you'll have to test if ANY of your models will have to enter terrain and you can't all just cluster around the front guy and refuse to move in.

basically maddermax is right.

Aramoro.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the thing was this, only two of my DC models could even get to b2b and the models that they could reach were in terrain, however the bases were out of the terrain just enough that I was not going into terrain at all. So I was correct, thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
How we sorted this in my club which I think is correct to the rules is if ant of your models touch terrain it counts as giving a difficult terrain and charging into cover, if none of your models can assault but have their bases not touching the terrain then no terrain effects for them. one thing we did get a bit confused about however with this was pile in. Do the guys that are in cover have to roll difficult terrain to see how far they can pile in?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Not to my knowledge, I think you still get the flat six inches.

But yeah for tournament play if you can get into combat without your models touching the base of terrain, then you don't have to roll.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
How we sorted this in my club which I think is correct to the rules is if ant of your models touch terrain it counts as giving a difficult terrain and charging into cover, if none of your models can assault but have their bases not touching the terrain then no terrain effects for them. one thing we did get a bit confused about however with this was pile in. Do the guys that are in cover have to roll difficult terrain to see how far they can pile in?
No, says in the little paragraph about Pile In that it ignores both kinds of DT :p (Difficult and Dangerous Terrain)

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Ah nice one cheers. Just came up the last day and we checked the terrain part not the pile in. cheers anyway :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Folks at my club occasionally get mad at me because I constantly insist that they follow all of the rules for assaulting, including Defenders React. I tell them that in most situations it doesn't matter, but they should practice using all of the rules because sometimes terrain and special rules like Lash Whips make knowledge of these rules very important.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts