Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Horus-centric novels?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been some great Primarch portrayals in the Horus Heresy thus far, whether it's something short and distinctive (McNeill's Mortarion from A Thousand Sons was good people) or spanning a novel, or even the course of several novels (ADB's Lorgar). And, of course, there have been some less-than-stellar portrayals.

They're big players, and I like to see them receive exposition. But, I've often found myself thinking about the titular Primarch, Horus. There's some Horus throwbacks in novels which explore the past, but in the present we don't see him all that much.

This isn't demanding the Siege comes faster, because I'm more excited about Imperium Secundus and the Webway War at the minute, but I wouldn't mind another Horus-centric novel.

Thoughts? Should Horus be used beyond cameos in the post-Isstvan V/pre-Siege setting? Can't say I was a fan of the execution, but I can appreciate Swallow's involvement of Horus and the XVI Legion in Nemesis.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Yes please. More Horus could really kick some life into the series after some of the recent books... Another Little Horus story/book by Abnett?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Little Horus was a breath of fresh air. Still a short story no matter how you slice the cake, though.

I get the feeling Abnett wishes to work with the White Scars, and for a full Horus novel a scenario would have to be invented. Could be done nicely.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I've been advocating more Horus for a while now. It's been around (off the top of my head) 18 or 19 novels now since we've had Horus as a central character in a novel, and considering he is the main character of ths series, that is unacceptable. The main reason I think, is that I don't want the series to arrive at the Siege of Terra with Horus being all Chaos-y without justifying how or why. Daemons, cultists and other chaos-monstrosities were heavily involved during the Siege, how did the corruption of the Legions reach this point? Really, the only example we've had of this is the degradation of the Emperor's Children in Reflection Crack'd and Angel Exterminatus.

The main insight we have had into the Sons of Horus post-Isstvan is the short story Little Horus and that was more concerned with the rebuilding of the Mournival rather than dealing with the corruption of the Legion. Essentially, it involved absolutley no insight into how the Sons of Horus Space Marine Legion became a Chaos Space Marine Legion by the time of the Siege of Terra.

Horus accepted the powers inherent with being aligned with Chaos, but how did the rest of his Legion accept this? How did the others justify it? Did anyone have doubts? Were there any more purges? Did most take to worshipping the Chaos Gods or just viewing them as tools?

In short: we need more bloody insight!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Horus accepted the powers inherent with being aligned with Chaos, but how did the rest of his Legion accept this? How did the others justify it? Did anyone have doubts? Were there more purges? Did most take to worshipping the Chaos Gods or just viewing them as tools?

In short: we need more insight!
You entire post summed up everything I've felt.

There's been some great Primarch portrayals in the Horus Heresy thus far, whether it's something short and distinctive (McNeill's Mortarion from A Thousand Sons was good people).
I actually quite disliked the portrayal of Mortarion in A Thousand Sons. Granted I have never read a codex in my life, just any book I can get my hands on and Lexicanum to fill in gaps I may have missed. But from his look, demeanor, physical presence, weapons, and background all make me think he is a much more direct and to the point personality. Skipping all the bullshit and only wasting words on the specific ones that need to be said. Not the grand standing we witnessed in ATS.

That is just my personal view on him of course, and holds absolutely zero weight in the end. :laugh:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I voted no because so far I've found horus to be a bit dull and boring. However, they have done a great job with some of the other primarchs. Fulgrim, Puterabo and Angron have been excellent. The flip side of that is there have been some bad attempts to flesh out the primarchs. Russ and Sanguinius have been terrible. Magnus and Lorgar im undecided about. Bowboat Goolieman hasn't really had enough to warrant consideration.

What did Horus really do in the run up to the invasion of terra? seems to me he just sent ther other legions out to do his dirty work, and I wouldnt want them just to make stuff up that didnt fit in with the rest of the story.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
What did Horus really do in the run up to the invasion of terra?
Another very good point which needs answering. The preparation required for the Siege of Terra was obviously a monumental task: gaining allegiences, establishing supply lines and communication networks, mustering his armies and fleets, preventing his Legions from infighting and insubordination, distracting and/or destroying prominent Imperial Legions and other armies, etc.

But what else was he doing? Was he acquiring warp-power and learning the secrets of Chaos? By the time of the "final battle" he is well versed in warp-craft and wields vast psychic power effortlessly. How did he get from the Horus of Galaxy in Flames, Betrayer and Nemesis to the Horus of the "final battle"? Especially taking into account that in Betrayer he still seems to pale in comparison to Lorgar & Magnus in that regard.

Nemesis informs us that Horus knows he will have to face the Emperor personally. He knows (possibly more than anyone) what the Emperor is capable of, does he truly believe he can stand toe-to-toe with his father and defeat him? Learning warp-craft, forging daemonic pacts and otherwise acquiring power must have been just as much a priority for him as mustering his armies for the invasion of Sol. I just wish the series would show us some of that.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I would quite happily place a large bet that a Limited Edition will come out all about Horus and his change, much like Aurelian.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I voted no simply because I'm tired of hearing the chaos side, I want a good book for any loyalist primarch. For me every book that has heavily featured a loyal primarch has been OK at best.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I voted no simply because I'm tired of hearing the chaos side, I want a good book for any loyalist primarch. For me every book that has heavily featured a loyal primarch has been OK at best.

Maybe we will get some of that in Vulkan Lives and Unremembered Empire??

Or maybe we can get a short story to boost Sang and Russ a bit? Savage Weapons and The Lion did wonders for El Johnson in my eyes..

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I'm quite happy with Russ actually. Want to see a lot more of him, but in both A Thousand Sons, Prospero Burns and that small part in Betrayer, I've really liked him. I'm really hoping for a novel on Russ when he and the Sixth are ambushed by the Alpha Legion, with the Khan having to leave them to duke it out alone, then going on to explore this 'aid from an unexpected quarter', which I'm still speculating might be the Lion. The novel could even be split between Russ and the Khan, showing how hard it would be for Jaghatai to leave Russ, to go to the Emperors aid.

Sanguinius on the other hand. Well, just take a look at my fracking name on here to try and grasp how much more bitterly disappointed I was by Swallows abortion. Nothing short of Abnett or ADB are going to save the Angel for me now.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Savage Weapons...did wonders for El Johnson in my eyes..
Why? Because being overpowered and choked out in the dirt by Curze somehow does wonders for the Lion's image?

I appreciate ADB's online efforts to cast that fight as a draw...but seriously, it did not make the Lion look good. It gave the impression that the Lion's fancy dueling couldn't hold up to Curze's feral brawling.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Why? Because being overpowered and choked out in the dirt by Curze somehow does wonders for the Lion's image?

I appreciate ADB's online efforts to cast that fight as a draw...but seriously, it did not make the Lion look good. It gave the impression that the Lion's fancy dueling couldn't hold up to Curze's feral brawling.
Don't start that again. There is no point in me, or anyone, trying to convince you otherwise, your arguments are well documented elsewhere.

And please take into account, that someone's "image" is a lot more than simply winning duels... He could have flat-out lost to Curze, yet Savage Weapons would have still done wonders for his image because of his portrayal throughout it.

Horus definitely needs more screentime where he reflects on his course and choice, and perhaps with flashbacks to his earlier life.
I agree. The Warmaster-audio by John French was interesting. We need more of that.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Its not all about dueling (which was certainly made up for in The Lion as well as his second encounter with Curze). His persona did a 180, which was awesome.

If it was all about martial prowess, no one would be complaining about Sanguinius, for in Fear to Tread, from that aspect he certainly took the cake, yet we hated it anyway.

On a side note, I can see them having Johnson involved in multiple plotlines in the galactic east, assisting the Wolves, the Ultramarines, White Scars etc and helping the Heresy from that end thus making his decision not to return to Caliban that much more noble.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually quite disliked the portrayal of Mortarion in A Thousand Sons. Granted I have never read a codex in my life, just any book I can get my hands on and Lexicanum to fill in gaps I may have missed. But from his look, demeanor, physical presence, weapons, and background all make me think he is a much more direct and to the point personality. Skipping all the bullshit and only wasting words on the specific ones that need to be said. Not the grand standing we witnessed in ATS.
Well, I never imagined Mortarion to have the same blunt nature as, say, Dorn, but I was more enamoured by McNeill's description in the novel. I feel like he nailed the motif of a 17th century plague doctor and, especially in-context, a witch hunter of sorts.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i echo the horus flashbacks, he was if i remember correctly the only primarch to spend time with his father as a youth, and this is what i would like to see more off, others have fleshed out the past of some primarchs so horus should be given the same treatment, it would add more to the eventual fate we all know, make it more poignant

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'd like to see it as far as showing the full corroption of Horus. Ya, he got stabbed and almost died at Davin, but I do not think that was his full fall. In "Galaxy in Flames" Erebus conjures up a Daemon to negotiate with Horus. Horus is no Word Bearer, he wants to know "Blah blah blah, gods, blah blah blah, kneel and worship, blah bllah...WAIT - you can change the tides of the warp? Ok, now we can start talking!"

He may have been corrupt, but I don't think he was a true believer. Every indication is that he was following his own secular truth. The Emp wanted to turn himself into a god at the expense of humanity. The Emp. wanted to do away with the Astartes after they had conquered the Galaxy for him.

In his own mind he was saving humanity. We can all see how Horus was crazy as hell, but it reminds me of a quote from "Seven" (Pitt to Spacey), "Do people like you really know how crazy you are? Do you wake up after beating off to guns and ammo covered in your own feces and in your grandmother's underwear and think 'Damn, I really am fucked up'!"

The talk that Torgadon had with Horus Aximand at the end of "Galaxy in Flames" really spells out what I want to know.

"When did you know you went to far?"

Just a side note, I think that when they do the final confrontation between Horus and the Emp happens, it will be Little Horus who lets the shields down and allows the Emp to board.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Just a side note, I think that when they do the final confrontation between Horus and the Emp happens, it will be Little Horus who lets the shields down and allows the Emp to board.
This is quite a popular theory amongst the fans, although since the short story Little Horus, it's lost quite a few. The short seems to be setting up an inevitable confrontation with Loken and also cementing Aximands belief in the Heresy.

I still think it will be Horus himself who lowers the shield, as the lore has said. He knows the combined fleets of the I, VI and XIII are all mere hours away from Terra and that he's still days away from breaching the final defences of the Palace. Defeating the Emperor is the only viable win he can get and to draw the Emperor out, he needs to lower the shields. I just don't like the idea of them changing this to someone, Aximand for example, having a last minute change of heart and lowering the shield, with Horus then undoubtedly doing the clichéd "WHAT!? How can this be happening!" reaction.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts