Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
visit roleplay threads!
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay I really thought I had this down but some recent videos and game viewings have confused me once again on how attacking mixed units works.
I searched through a bunch of the threads already made but quite frankly I think this will be faster.

to use a specific example lets go with one that has really boggled me. A tomb spyder which has produced scarabs.

in the shooting phase if there is only one scarab and the spyder apparently the necron player can choose to take a wound on the scarab using the spyder's toughness of 6? Since there is no majority stat line the defending player gets to choose who dies, but why can you use the higher value and then take off the model with the weaker value?

the same goes for assaulting, I have asked on here before if the spyder becomes independent and I know now that it does not. So, if there is more than one scarab swarm with the spyder when the unit is assaulted, the spyder uses the majority toughness of 3? and has to take wounds using that value? The way I have been doing it is allocating attacks model by model until each scarab is dead using their values and then the rest of the attacks go to the spyder since the necron player, the one I play against anyway, always wants the scarabs dead before the spyder. I just cant get myself to accept that the spyder should have to take a wound using half of its toughness value just becomes it is among models with less.

·
Registered
147 Posts
the correct method is if there are more models using a T value use it for the entire squad, however on an even number use the higher one. in your example 1 scarab swarm and the tomb spider use the spiders toughness, if you have 2 swarms and the spider sadly the spider goes down to the lower one.

Just to clarify tho this only applies to single units, I dont know much about crons do swarms created form a seperate unit or join become a single unit with the tomb spider?

·
Registered
468 Posts
to use a specific example lets go with one that has really boggled me. A tomb spyder which has produced scarabs.

in the shooting phase if there is only one scarab and the spyder apparently the necron player can choose to take a wound on the scarab using the spyder's toughness of 6? Since there is no majority stat line the defending player gets to choose who dies, but why can you use the higher value and then take off the model with the weaker value?
Complex units use majority values in most cases. You roll to wound using the Toughness that is in the majority in the target unit. If there is no majority, you use the highest value.

One Tomb Spider and one Scarab have no majority, so the Spider's higher value is used. Resulting wounds are then allocated and saved as usual, which is why you can take the hit using the Spider's Toughness and then put the wound onto the Scrabs.

References-
p19 details multiple Toughness values.
p25 handles complex units.

the same goes for assaulting, I have asked on here before if the spyder becomes independent and I know now that it does not.
Correct, it is not an independent character and remains part of it's unit.

So, if there is more than one scarab swarm with the spyder when the unit is assaulted, the spyder uses the majority toughness of 3? and has to take wounds using that value?
Correct to both. More than one Scarab base will create a majority Toughness, so hits on the unit will wound against Toughness 3. This applies to shooting and assault. Wounds are still allocated and saved as usual.

The way I have been doing it is allocating attacks model by model until each scarab is dead using their values and then the rest of the attacks go to the spyder since the necron player, the one I play against anyway, always wants the scarabs dead before the spyder.
The Necron player can achieve that anyway. Roll all of the attacks at each initiative step as usual, then roll to wound using majority Toughness. The Necron player then allocates wounds, putting the minimum possible onto the Tomb Spider and the rest onto the Scarab bases.

I just cant get myself to accept that the spyder should have to take a wound using half of its toughness value just becomes it is among models with less.
That's how it works; it's part of the streamlining of rules to speed things up. Majority Toughness for a unit is used to resolve wounding, hits are allocated by the controlling player and saves taken as normal. It does lead to situations like the Tomb Spider, where one spawning one Scarab base is great but any more is terrible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts