Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the legality of incorporating certain other units into my Imperial Guard army? Psyker defense is where I'm probably going to be hurting the most, so I was thinking of borrowing something from the Sisters of Battle or Daemonhunters to protect me from the Eldar and Thousand Sons players that I'm gaming with. Are there any special rules on incorporating a single unit, or some kind of percentage of points into something like this?
Also, Vindicare Assassins are the pinnacle of awesome, and I could probably use one of those to take out a Sorcerer or a Farseer before they open up a can of warp-ass on me. Any chance on taking that one in?
Oh, and while we're on the subject, I know the Baneblade is Apocalypse-only, but what about Malcador, Macharius and Gorgon? Salamander, Centaur, Thunderer?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
In the Damon/Witch Hunters Codexes (Codeci) there are rules for another Imperial Force using units from those books (and vice versa with Space Marines and Imperial Guard being inducted into an Inquisitorial army).

The tanks you've mentioned are usually opponent permission only, and it would be a rare tournament where they could be used.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
There are ally rules for Witch Hunters and Demon Hunters Codecies, where you can take certain allied units for IG, including some excellent Psyker defence. Now, GW has both of these books for free download, however, from what I have heard, the downloadable versions do not include the rules for allies, so you would have to get a hold of the real codex to use them. The problem however is that both books are probably going to get redone in the near future, which might mean that any models you buy to use as allies might be unusable under the new rules.

If you decide to get some anyway, you can get a DH Inquisitor with a Psychic Hood, and a small retinue for him, with two Mystics. The Inquisitor provides decent Psychic protection, the Mystics let you get free shots at nearby deep striking units, and they are very cheap, points wise. It's the most popular option for Allied support, and will take up either a HQ or an Elites slot (depending on weather you want the Inquisitor lord, or basic Inquisitor). Cheap and effective.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<3 FLGS that lets you read one page of a Codex without buying it.
Anyways, turns out I can get an Inquisitor Lord as an HQ choice (and he is extremely cheap for his ability to throw a wrench in the enemy's plans of "lol, Guardsmen, AP5 weapons pwn") and then a Vindicare Assassin as an Elite (and he is extremely awesome with his Exitus rifle of death and murder). Sadly, they were out of those models at the moment, but they're getting a shipment in a week's time, so jubilation!

·
Registered
141 Posts
In alot of cases, especially in friendly games, using two army lists is generally acceptable so long as it 1: makes sense (i.e. 'nids generally don't fight with the necrons) and 2: stays withing the alotted points of a battle.

In tournaments, however, it's generally a one army show. The page involving allies in the DH and WH codecies was removed because of just this. Tourney's are more about knowing how to use an army than building the ultimate force.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
In alot of cases, especially in friendly games, using two army lists is generally acceptable so long as it 1: makes sense (i.e. 'nids generally don't fight with the necrons) and 2: stays withing the alotted points of a battle.

In tournaments, however, it's generally a one army show. The page involving allies in the DH and WH codecies was removed because of just this. Tourney's are more about knowing how to use an army than building the ultimate force.
Though of course it's only discounted in the PDF and since the paper Codex trumps the PDF allies are still a valid and completely legal choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts