Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for a mission involving your classic "survive against waves and waves of foes" type scenario. I think I may have heard it called "bunker defense" or something like that from time to time.

I plan to run a campaign this summer for my friends, and since I have a good 70-100 cultists (I forget) there will definitely be some sort of wave survival mission.

Are there any homebrew/existing GW missions that would fit the bill?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I've seen a game where they used the hammer and anvil deployment. The defender places 2+D3 objectives within his deployment zone. Ecery attacking unit that was destroyed happened up in reserves. The defender Started with 1+objectives KP and then kost one for each objectives the attacker cleansed of his precens, gaining one KP in the process. It was a close call for the attacker but he pulled it off. Tau vs Orks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We run something similar to this but with tyranids, its all homebrew rules, but we cut up pieces of card and write on units the shuffle them up and spread them about the board they move towards players each turn 2d6 and when in 18 they are flipped to reveal the unit and we place the models, we usually use alot of terrain walls and ruins to make it harder to spot the creatures, sometimes you are lucky and you spot 3 ripper bases or alternatively you could get 5 Raveners or a Carnifex! Its down to the gods on whether you survive!
We usually run this with multiple teams of about 500-750pts as allies but the objective is to keep your own force alive, allies are expendable!
Overall its really fun, totally not fair and you find heroes in the unlikeliest of places! :good:

P.S. You can switch it up to make the objective to escape off opposite board edge. Alternatively 1st team to capture an objective across the board can make for exciting games as you watch the teams back stab each other charging into unknown danger!

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Less than 1 hour later and already have great ideas coming in. Thanks guys :victory:.

These are a couple of my ideas so far:

Hordes of Plague Zombies backed by a unit of 20 Plaguebearers (only have 20), and a Great Unclean One/Typhus equivalent. Simply defend the castle against all waves. I think, though, that there must be some sort of balance between the number/armament of the defenders, the size of units on both sides, and so on. I think the solution is simply to try it out myself and see what happens. The defenders will probably be space marines of some variety, so bolters and flamers will do a good job of cutting down anything they're up against minus the GUO. Maybe too good. I want the challenge to be sufficient that if there are say, 4 tactical squads, a Captain, and a Librarian, they'll suffer some serious casualties. The board size and starting distances need to be appropriate, as well.

An alternate scenario would be for a CSM/Daemons player (or a few) with a single Daemon Prince under their control. This is sort of a bonus mission. The Chaos god(s) backing the campaign are unsatisfied with the lackluster slaughter so far. They expected far more souls to be offered up in tribute. Well, it just so happens the forces of Chaos have these disposable slaves called cultists. Loads and loads of them. They exist to be killed in horrible ways. The little guys are so fanatically loyal to the dark gods that they'd willingly give their lives to satisfy their masters.

The Daemon Prince(s) will have 5 turns to kill as many cultists as possible. If the player(s) fail to kill a certain minimum of cultists, they fail the mission. The gods debuff their army in some way, or a boon of sorts is withheld. If they meet the minimum, they succeed and get a minor buff. If they get lucky and kill a ton of cultists, the reward will be more significant. The prince will be armed with some sort of soul-reaping daemon weapon. The extra d6 attacks will make killing large numbers of cultists possible, and more fun.

If there are multiple players, each daemon prince will be in competition with the others, free to attack each other or join into combats together. That would be detrimental to their allied army in the campaign, but if they're competing the rewards will be greater for the victor than a single player would get from succeeding. Their units would become extra good in some minor but meaningful way, while the others wouldn't.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The trick with "Wave" scenarios is to give some kind of checkpoint system to the attackers so that they don't restart from their own table edge every time.

For example if the first defensive structure in their way is a Ruin, then once they claim that ruin (no enemy models within 3") then they can bring on reinforcements from that building in their next turn.

This forces mobility and reaction from the defender as new spawning points are taken, instead of the "sit as far back as possible and never move" game, and the attacker can actually use tactics beyond "run straight at the enemy and hug cover".

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
one thing that I have seen people do at my store is that they play Hammer & Anvil and initially only 24" of the board is allowed for the "runners" to deploy, enemy can come in on any of the 3 sides of that 24" (more complicated than UNIT X COMES IN ON SIDE B); runners deploy 1st, then the bugs (it was the nids doing the chasing) came on; 12" of the board is freed up, runners turn, and continue.

If the runners got any of their units OFF the opposite side board then they win...It helps if you have bikes...

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
There are renewing wave rules in the nid electronic codexes. Pretty much, if a unit with Without Number dies, on a 4+ they respawn from the table edge. I'd also check the Altar of War missions, and look at the 7th edition Mission cards.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
There are renewing wave rules in the nid electronic codexes. Pretty much, if a unit with Without Number dies, on a 4+ they respawn from the table edge.
The downside to that rule is that unless the unit dies T1/2 then it will generally play no further part in the game, being unable to cross 48" of table within a useful time span.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Easy way to have unlimited numbers would be use the portal glyph rules from daemon codex. Just have something like 30 or so of them per 1000pts (as they cost 30pts each technically it would be 33), but have them deepstrike in a preturn stage (maybe 1/2 on turn 1, 1/4 on turns 2 & 3. Means the enemy can blow up the things that are spawning new troops constantly, while you don't get them all at once.
Maybe include a MEGA portal or something costing 100-150pts what has 14armour all round and 2-3 hp each BUT you can only drop 1 per turn but they are guaranteed to spawn 1d6 per HP worth of troops (double it up for plague zombies as they cost half the cost of daemons.)

Sounds like a battle I would like to play. Though defenders would need to know what they are up against to plan for needing loads of anti troop weapons but also stuff to blow up the AV12 - 14 stuff.

Not 100% sure what the winning conditions would be, but I would presume something like pts left on the table type of stuff could be good. Meaning the pts in models, not the portals. So if they don't blow up enough of your portals you will be generating 5-60pts of models a turn. After 6 turns if none of the portals die in 1000pts game, you could have generated about 5000pts of stuff (though given averages about 2000-3000) but as it is all melee and cant charge on deployment it will take an extra turn to do anything.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, this is getting complicated!

At this point I'm not sure if I'll have the players pick their own armies or come up with lists for them to use ahead of time. Wouldn't want them to either pick something stupid and stand no chance, or be too smart and min/max the best possible loadout.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well if you explain to them what they are going to be going against.

AKA mass waves of T3-4 guys with little to no armour who when killed come back again.
OR like my example
many light armoured buildings that spew out hordes of mobs so long as they aren't blown up.

They should get the idea of what is going on. Though TBH have a test run with a friend or 2 explaining it and make tweeks to how the game plays as needed. It is only a bit of fun after all, and they can always say "Nah, lets just do a normal battle." if they don't like the sound of the idea.

The zombies idea also works well if you give them the Necron reanimation protocol thing that means they might get shot down, but after that phase they might just get back up again.

I would also say my idea may not work well in very small games as you would still be limited in what you could have.
So for instants 500pts if you went by my example before would be 15(ish) portals, 7 on T1, 4 T2, 4 T3.

Daemon turn 1
Now this means that on T1 you get 7 portals and average you will get 163pts of zombies/daemons.

Defenders Turn 1.
Likely chance is they will have 1-4 heavy weapons able to blow some portals up. THOUGH the rest of the squad is then rendered useless unless they can split fire.
Lets say you had 3 heavy weapons and blow up 2 portals.

Daemon turn 2
4 more portals drop from the sky, so you now have 5 original + 4 new = 9 & about 100-200ish pts of zombie/daemons depending if any got shot dead.
Spawning phase means you are going to get about 200pts worth now with the extra portals. So 9 portals and 300-400ish pts of zombie/daemons.

Defenders Turn 2
Same as the first turn though mobs are getting closer meaning that you are in firing range with the squads without heavy weapons. You still kill 2 portals but also manage to wipe out 200pts of troops with bolter fire.

Daemon turn 3
4 more portals drop, you are now getting 250ish pts of models this turn to combine with your 100-200pts of troops currently on the table. Some of your units will engage the enemy, likely chance is trying to lock up some of those heavy weapons if possible.

Defenders Turn 3
Only 1 heavy weapon is able to blow up a portal this turn as the others are locked in combat now, but you manage to once again finish off 200pts of zombie/daemons with shooting and melee.

Daemon turn 4
10 portals up, about 225pts of units a turn.

blar blar blar, game continues on as normal if the marines can keep their heavy weapons blowing up a few portals they will slowly be able to stop the endless train of zombie/daemons or at least keep the numbers so low that they will win due to being able to keep the numbers down.
OR if they fail at blowing up these portals then they face an ever increasing tide of mobs that despite not being able to really stand a good chance at hitting/wounding and it not just bouncing off marine armour saves will eventually win because of sheer numbers as the portals are spawning them 1/2 an army every turn.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Some particular ideas I very much like:

Reanimation on the zombies sounds awesome!

Spawning points moving forward makes new spawns more of a threat.

Unit size on the zombies is really dependent on how they spawn, I'm thinking. If multiple small units are spawning all over the place, then a 10-man tactical squad is going to waste a lot of shooting on 5 or 6 zombies. Splitting them up into combat squads could be the answer to that.

Maybe a combination of spawning methods is the answer? Maybe 2 or 3 large units from the get, and then smaller units are spawned by the GUO or portals. Too many portals vs. units of zombies could be overwhelming.

Should I keep this as ONLY zombies, or should I include the plaguebearers/herald of nurgle/GUO to make things interesting?

Here are the lists I'm messing around with right now. There are points discrepancies, but due to the sheer number of bodies on the daemons' side I'm thinking it might work out.

SPACE MARINES: Defenders: 1010 points

HQ:

Captain: Artificer Armor, Plasma Pistol, Shield Eternal, Thunder Hammer, Jump Pack
Librarian: ML2, Jump Pack

TROOPS:

Tactical Squad x10: Flamer, Missile Launcher

FAST ATTACK:

Assault Squad x10: Flamer x2, Veteran Sergeant w/ Plasma Pistol

DAEMONS: attackers: 850 points

HQ:

Great Unclean One: Mastery Level 3, 2x Greater Rewards (1 Balesword)
Herald of Nurgle: Lesser Reward, Locus of Fecundity

TROOPS:

Cultists (Plague Zombies) x90, split however is best. Not all need necessarily be used.
Plaguebearers x10: Plagueridden
Plaguebearers x10: Plagueridden

1 - 14 of 14 Posts