Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing thats been bugging me for a while, was that Terra, before the rise of the Emperor and the end of Old Night. Was said to be fought over by armies of technobarbarians and loads of warlords with gengineered armies.

The Emperor's own being the thunder warriors with the first iteration of power armor that focused on empowering the user's personal strengh to allow him to inflict grievous blows with his weapon. Hence why the Thunder warriors was massive brutes to fulfil such a role to overpower all opposition. Yet from the outcast dead they have large suits of powered armor and boltgun equivalents.

Furthermore in many heresy stories, terra looks more like a 40k hiverworld than a place struggling to get back on the civilized level of society and not just having come out of thousands of years of anarchy in the age of strife.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
One thing thats been bugging me for a while, was that Terra, before the rise of the Emperor and the end of Old Night. Was said to be fought over by armies of technobarbarians and loads of warlords with gengineered armies.
I think it's because Terra has been largely (but not entirely) Imperialised by the time it's shown to us in the novels.

During the Unification Wars, I'm sure Terra was very technobarbarian-esque

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's because Terra has been largely (but not entirely) Imperialised by the time it's shown to us in the novels.

During the Unification Wars, I'm sure Terra was very technobarbarian-esque
Hrm, I speculate that the reason for the stable looking terra might be that we mainly saw from prosperous imperial areas like: Achaemenid Empire - Lexicanum

Though Hy Brasil always threw me off a bit: Hy Brasil - Lexicanum

Wouldnt they have been discovered by the mechanicum raiders plundering terra, and whom eventually decided there was nothing worth saving before turning their gaze outwards to make expedition fleets?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Furthermore in many heresy stories, terra looks more like a 40k hiverworld than a place struggling to get back on the civilized level of society and not just having come out of thousands of years of anarchy in the age of strife.
Because the Emperor by the point in the heresy already has controlled terra for over 200 years

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
From Legion we know that the Emperor's effort to unify Terra had taken at least 800 years (if not more!)

I'd imagine the areas He had conquered earlier would have been gradually built up.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From Legion we know that the Emperor's effort to unify Terra had taken at least 800 years (if not more!)

I'd imagine the areas He had conquered earlier would have been gradually built up.
Huh, interesting. So the unification wars was a lot longer than we were led to believe?

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
The E had to build up a power base on Terra, and in one of the H.H books it says how the Imperial regime had to play nice with Hy Brazil, because they needed their rulers high energy producing domain and that there was still faction scuffles on Terra, cannot remember which book or compilation though. And there is lots of little mentions of people eeking out an existence in the wastes between hives and states

And when they talk of techno barbarians, they do not really mean mindless savages more like people with a lot of hardware but not real understanding of it, like gang bangers with automatic weapons sure they know which end goes bang but not much after that!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Then I must say it sounds like 'Old Night' was a wee bit overhyped.
Old Night depended on your world and specific circumstances. Some hive-worlds dependent on imported food literally starved themselves to death.

Also rampant, untrained psykers tended to ruin a planet's day.

Also the Terra we get glimpses at is more or less at the end of Old Night. Things have been going well for the last few centuries. Civilization is coming out of the dark ages. I imagine when things first hit the fan, things were really, really bad.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Our current concept of the "Dark Ages" has radically changed with greater documented research, showing that while Europe may have struggled, other world powers were thriving in ways previously unheard of. It's been shown the Emperor actively scrubbed the historical record to present the picture he needed for setting up the Great Crusade. It wouldn't do to show several technologically advanced nation states with republican political systems that get absolutely crushed under the Emperor's bootheel, so "Techno-Barbarians".

Haliene, are you referencing John Grammaticus's internal dialoge in Legion about his first meeting with the Emperor,

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
Then I must say it sounds like 'Old Night' was a wee bit overhyped.
Old Night depended on your world and specific circumstances. Some hive-worlds dependent on imported food literally starved themselves to death.
The description of Cthonia in 'Betrayal' is a very grim one. Resources ran out and competition for what was left in the ensuing age of isolation led to constant brutality and warfare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts