Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently. Because some retard Goatboy says so.

1) Only Space Wolves (as Marines) Spam ML's
2) Only Space Wolves (as Marines) Spam ML's
3) Only Long Fangs (as Marines) Spam ML's
and lastly
4) Only Long Fangs (as Marines) Spam ML's.

Fuck me, it seems as if as soon as someone gets airtime, their quality dropped.

Unfortunately for our paper eating hillbilly here, it seems that he had no talent in the first place.

But you heard it here people - Missiles are new Melta, because BoLS says so.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Who is goatboy? Is he some form of SW deathbringing guru? I agree with him all the way, I must admit.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Well I don't know about other armies, it seems to ne that most marine armies do lasplas, but the only reason SW do ML spam is because SW do it so well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That whole article does seem a bit...rushed. The only lists I see spamming missiles is space wolves as others have said. Melta-spam is still much more common.

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Goatboy is a Spacewolf player (or rather, SpaceGoat player) so maybe he only has experience of using ML's with SW's? Personally I go with a 2 lascannon, 2 missile launcher selection with my own longfangs, using the split fire ability works a treat.

But yeah, I wouldn't take ML's with my ultramarines devastators. As Goatboy points out, they are pretty useless if you're up against heavily armoured tanks, leaving them redundant half the time.

A pair of vindicators, that's the real way to go :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
In short, the internet pundits still have no idea what they're talking about. Shock and horror.
You mean BoLS doesn't ^^.

ML are a completely different kettle of fish to meltaguns and much more focused on suppression fire. Whilst with appropriately costed Devs in BA and the cheap Long Fangs from SW missile launcher Marines are a lot more common lately, they don't replace melta. Ask Loganwing how they do against AV14? Oh ya they generally pack combi-meltas just in case.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Just because Space Wolves happen to use a lot of missile launchers doesn't mean that they're suddenly the new 'must take' weapon. I mean, they're good and all but they're not good enough to replace meltaguns. Nothing is going to knock melta off its throne until the Necron Codex at the earliest and probably not until 6th.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The only reason Melta wins is because it's mobile AV. It's not Heavy, so you can move and fire freely, and it's not Blast, so you can't accidentally screw over your own guys, no matter how much you tried. It's range is short, and that limits the number of meltas deployable against any single target. The cost is low, so that makes it viable against armies with several AV/high T targets, which seem to be all the rage.
Basically, it's a wonderfully balanced weapon, both with the metagame and with the other weapons that fulfill the same role.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
This got me thinking. Is AV 12/13 the new AV 14?

What I mean is that it used to be the higher the AV the better the tank. Now I am not so sure. A lot of tanks with AV12/13 have nifty rules that make them better than the lumbering land raiders. Wave serpents and falcons for example pack nifty upgrades like the energy field and holo-fields to keep them survivable. Tau get the BEST WEAPON IN THE GAME mounted on a AV13 tank. Chaos player use a lot of defilers and commonly enough they are AV12. Get the pattern here.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
No. It's like saying 60 is the new 40. Fuck no it isn't; it's 60, fuck you!

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
This got me thinking. Is AV 12/13 the new AV 14?.
You might be on to something there, even with the current mech trend, the vast majority of transports are AV12 and less. Plus allot of IG, which seems to be the current "powergamer" choice, are forgoing the Leman Russ tanks for Chimera based Artillery. Which is mostly why ACs & not Lascannons or ML are the Hvy Weap. of choice for IG lists, Spaming Meltas may become redundent. Just my thoughts, I don't play competatively and don't paticularly care what's competative.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
For Mech IG I think spamming Meltas is limiting a list too much, as it's easy enough to counter once opponents get used to it.

In an IG gunline list if all someone is taking is AC's then once again that's handicapping the list. Mind you, if they take Lascannon HWS's I see a Vendetta for 25 pts more for something that's twice as good.

ML's work well enough against some lists..Nids, Tau and BA for example...it's the price that makes people hesitate.

Overall I think having a mix of weaponry is a perfctly acceptable build, so long as you have all the usual anti - armour/Infantry/heavy Infantry/MC threats covered.

Same goes for having Russes and Artillery really, a mix of both or one or the other works fine.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
All I know is CSM will always spam melt's over missile, the reason being almost everyone in the damn book can take one so I say nuts to the ML's theory.

Here is a small local sampling from the gaming centers I visit.
IG: Can have ML, but I haven't seen them used even.
CSM: I use 2-4 in my lists, while every one else I've met don't even take havoc's or missile dreads.
Eldar: I have seen at the most 2 ML used in a Eldar lists.
Orks: Can they even have massed missile launchers?
Dark Eldar:?
VSM: Nope all plasma cannon, and or laz cannons locally.
SW: Only ever played against them once, and it was a drop force.
Tyranids:?

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I use a ml in all my standard ig infantry squads with a grenade launcher. When the enemy is out of range the ml can have a go at av's. When the enemy gets in close switch to blast and combine with the lasguns and grenade launcher to go anti infantry. Works for me. Normally i have 7 or 8 in a list.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts