Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ran into the argument today at my FLGS about how many models minimum can you have for a unit. In this instance we were trying to figuring out Monstrous Infantry.

He had his Varghiest in 2x2 ranks when he charged into close combat so he could cheeze out a few extra attacks. I tried explaining that the minimum width they could be was 3 wide (as far as I understand the rules that is) and he was very insistant that he was able to rank them up like this he just doest get any forms of rank bonuses. Just wondering if anyone has some clarification on what the size actually is minimum

·
Registered
948 Posts
Your opponent was right, if you wish you can rank up into ranks of one you just don't gain any rank bonuses for being ranked up such as steadfast horde or any other rank specific rules.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
It's true, you can do a snake of 1 wide and 50 deep if you want to, but it simply gives no Rank Bonus or benefits at all. Remember, however, that 1 rank is more ranks than No ranks, so against those Vargeists would not disrupt your unit's Steadfast until they were down to less than five models.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It's true, you can do a snake of 1 wide and 50 deep if you want to, but it simply gives no Rank Bonus or benefits at all. Remember, however, that 1 rank is more ranks than No ranks, so against those Vargeists would not disrupt your unit's Steadfast until they were down to less than five models.
If you want to get technical, the 2x2 block of Vargeists would never disrupt Steadfast, since disruption requires 2 ranks of at least 3 models when dealing with monstrous infantry. A unit of 9 or less infantry models can't be steadfast regardless of whether they are being eaten by Vargeists or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts