Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Same way I deal with flying Daemon Princes. Shoot at them as much as possible before they get within charge range, then shoot at them a bit more instead of charging. If they're still getting into combat then completely ignore the unit, kite it as best you can, and kill everything else before it kills you.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Tar pit the scarabs with a big cheap unit to keep them busy for a few turns.
Mindshackle Scarabs isn't a unit, its a Wargear that Lords and Overlords can take. In close combat, if the victim of the Scarabs fail a 3d6 leadership, they hit themselves/their own unit instead of attacking.

The best way is really to avoid combat with the Overlord/lord wielding it as much as possible. If you have a sergeant, have him take the challenge so your super killy HQ can wipe of the rest of the squad.

If the Necron player is like me, I have the Overlord in a Command Barge. To limit his mobility, destroy the barge as soon as possible before it can reach your lines and cause havoc.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
If you have Fateweaver, you can often reroll the highest D6 on the LD test, giving you a decent chance of passing the test.

Buut yeah, some sort of big, fearless unit with minimal characters strikes me as best. Say, plague zombies as the ideal option.

If they're on a Command Barge rather than have a Destroyer Lord body, yeah, take out that Barge.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
As others have said, don't let it reach its target. If that means destroying the delivery system (Command Barge), shooting it, or tarpitting (depending on your army and its capabilities), then that's what you have to do.

Also, be sure to ask your opponent what each Lord/Overlord has equipped. The Scarabs are so minuscule in fluff that you could never realistically model it on, so it can often come as a surprise to find you're in combat with something with them equipped. With Necrons especially, ask for a quick rundown of what each piece of gear does so you can appreciate the threat - forewarned is forearmed after all. Unless its closed list (or you have a dick for an opponent), they should be happy to go through with you if you're unfamiliar. I make a point of going through my army before deployment and explaining what everything does even when unasked, it's fairer and helps avoid awkward situations later on.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Ignore them. Necrons are shitty in melee outside of Wraiths and Destroyer Lords. Destroyer Lords are very rarely run in more than singles as bringing two deprives you of a Royal Court (the exception is Wraithwing, but that's just a matter of applying small arms fire to a bunch of essentially-Tactical-Marines-but-with-no-guns until you whittle them down to just the two Destroyer Lords.

The basic Lords will be in squads of Warriors and such, so you can just charge into combat at the far end of the unit to prevent the Lord from being able to challenge or strike, kill a bunch of Warriors since they're terrible in combat, and then wait until he takes Leadership on minus however many you killed since his 3" pile-ins aren't enough to get him into base-to-base after you've killed a couple.

Avoiding them at range is really easy. Avoiding them in melee is surprisingly easy.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
The basic Lords will be in squads of Warriors and such, so you can just charge into combat at the far end of the unit to prevent the Lord from being able to challenge or strike, kill a bunch of Warriors since they're terrible in combat, and then wait until he takes Leadership on minus however many you killed since his 3" pile-ins aren't enough to get him into base-to-base after you've killed a couple.
Alternately, challenge with your Champion so your beatstick melee Lord can slaughter half a dozen Warriors, for the aforementioned LD chance to run down the unit. No guarantees, but it'll work much of the time.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Mind-shacke only works if the bearer of it can get into base 2 base. So try and move round a unit if you have the luxury to get the lord at the back when you assault. AS midnight said most cron stuff isn't that great in combat and the main way to get rid of them is just cause them to flee on leadership, as they are pretty much guaranteed to be ran down. If you are wanting to challenge the Lord with one of your characters or they challenge you. If it is your turn you can make them use their mindshackle before the challenge starts potentially leaving you characters to slug it out as normal.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Alternately, challenge with your Champion so your beatstick melee Lord can slaughter half a dozen Warriors, for the aforementioned LD chance to run down the unit. No guarantees, but it'll work much of the time.
Better to not challenge at all - with closest-to-closest movement in assault, it's not too difficult to prevent certain models from striking in the first round. And against Necrons, the first round is the important one - either they'll break and you'll kill them all, or they'll hold, Reanimate, and pile in, and before you know it you'll be either drowning in Warriors with a couple of Ghost Arks nearby while the Lord kills two or three of your dudes per turn, or they'll smash one of their exceedingly efficient counter-assault units into the combat and Wraiths will eat you.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Better to not challenge at all - with closest-to-closest movement in assault, it's not too difficult to prevent certain models from striking in the first round. And against Necrons, the first round is the important one - either they'll break and you'll kill them all, or they'll hold, Reanimate, and pile in, and before you know it you'll be either drowning in Warriors with a couple of Ghost Arks nearby while the Lord kills two or three of your dudes per turn, or they'll smash one of their exceedingly efficient counter-assault units into the combat and Wraiths will eat you.
Well, somebody can only accept a challenge if they're engaged in the combat--if they're more than 5" away from their nearest model in B2B (so after their 3" pile-in, are still out of 2") they're not in a place where they can accept a challenge at the beginning of the phase anyways (and CSM, at least, always have to challenge). So good for you if you can arrange that, but you can't rely on rolling up the flank of a 20-Warrior blob or something every single time you engage a Mindshackle Lord. This alternate suggestion is jut that: an alternative when that won't work.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Well, somebody can only accept a challenge if they're engaged in the combat--if they're more than 5" away from their nearest model in B2B (so after their 3" pile-in, are still out of 2") they're not in a place where they can accept a challenge at the beginning of the phase anyways (and CSM, at least, always have to challenge). So good for you if you can arrange that, but you can't rely on rolling up the flank of a 20-Warrior blob or something every single time you engage a Mindshackle Lord. This alternate suggestion is jut that: an alternative when that won't work.
Fair enough, although I don't think it's quite as far as 5" - Pile-Ins are not done at the start of the Fight sub-phase - they are done at Initiative Step and at the end of the Fight sub-phase, but if I've missed Defenders React! then by all means, burst my bubble :victory:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Falcoso, how do you get them to use their mind shackle scarabs before challenges are made?
Pretty sure when two things are supposed to happen at the same time in a phase on both sides of the table the player whose turn it is gets to choose the order in which they happen. In this instance MSS and Challenges both happen at the start of the Assault Phase, so if I were facing a Necron opponent I would definitely choose to make him use MSS before I get into a Challenge with him.

....however, that might have come from my knowledge of 6th edition. Pretty sure it's the same in 7th, but I'd have to check the Necron FAQ and BRB section on Challenges to be 100%.

EDIT: pg. 27 7th edition BRB, under Sequencing:

...you'll occasionally find that two or more rules are resolved at the same time...when this happens, and the wording is not explicit as to which rule is resolved first, the player whose turn it is chooses the order.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Just to throw in that it's a lot harder to deny someone the use of Mindshackle Scarabs now, as the bearer can accept a challenge even if he's not engaged in combat, therefore 'leapfrogging' straight into combat with the challenger even if he wouldn't normally be allowed to strike. If that happened I suppose you wouldn't challenge as he can't strike, but the Necron player could very easily challenge you to either stop your character attacking or to jump his character into combat.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Just to throw in that it's a lot harder to deny someone the use of Mindshackle Scarabs now
It's hard for me to write this from both perspectives clearly, so for the sake of simplicity this specific situation from both angles:

If it's the Necron player's Turn, challenging first and getting into base contact before utilizing MSS is key.

If it's the Opposing player's Turn, they have the option of forcing the Necron player to use their MSS before either side gets to Challenge, regardless of if the Necron player wants to Challenge or not.

You could leapfrog to the front of a combat with Challenges in 6th, there was no prerequisite for base contact only that the challenger/ee must be moved into contact for the duration and that the challenge was a separate event from the rest of combat with wounds counting toward combat results. Forgive me if I'm being obtuse, I don't see any change to this aspect of the game from 6th to 7th.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
It's hard for me to write this from both perspectives clearly, so for the sake of simplicity this specific situation from both angles:

If it's the Necron player's Turn, challenging first and getting into base contact before utilizing MSS is key.

If it's the Opposing player's Turn, they have the option of forcing the Necron player to use their MSS before either side gets to Challenge, regardless of if the Necron player wants to Challenge or not.

You could leapfrog to the front of a combat with Challenges in 6th, there was no prerequisite for base contact only that the challenger/ee must be moved into contact for the duration and that the challenge was a separate event from the rest of combat with wounds counting toward combat results. Forgive me if I'm being obtuse, I don't see any change to this aspect of the game from 6th to 7th.
No - in 6th edition, you could only issue, accept or refuse a challenge if you were engaged - i.e. within 2" of a model in base contact. In 7th, you can issue or answer a challenge even if you're not engaged.

EDIT: Damn, I think I've been doing it wrong, let me just lay this out for myself:

So, the Necron player chooses to challenge first, and then use MSS once he's in the challenge. If it's the other player's turn, he forces the Overlord to use his MSS, then accept the challenge. If the Overlord isn't in base to base contact with anyone then accepts the challenge, the MSS are wasted as there were no models in base contact when their activation (the start of the Fight sub-phase) came around.

In short; if the Necron player challenges, he gets to use MSS in the first round of combat. If your opponent is the one who issues the challenge, you don't get to use them in the first round of combat. The exception is if the Necron model with MSS was already in base contact with a model - in this case, the challenging player can force the Necron player to use his Mindshackle Scarabs on the model he's in base contact with, then move to enter the challenge.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts