Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day a group of us at the local store started talking about the past in how we used to see crazy armies and what armies we used to play.
Now I have been playing and enjoying this hobby for over 10 years and still going strong but I miss the old days. The days where you would see someone show up with an iron warriors army with 4 basilisks and be like I need to watch this game cause it's going to be fun to watch.
What was really nice was while the group of us were talking the toddlers and infants (people who have only been playing less than two years) who are much younger than us just sat there and listened to our tales of glories past and seeing their eyes light up with imagination as I tell them of a catachan army I had that was all flame. Every squad had a flamer and a heavy flamer, two hellhounds as 2 fast attack choices and the third was 3 heavy flamer sentinels. It was an army that made hoards cringe. But to see the young ones look on and ask questions was just priceless.
I guess what I'm saying is us veterans need to keep these stories going of the old days to keep the young intrigued. Oh and also like what was an army that was a favorite of yours from way back when. Like a strike force eldar army from eye of terror codex.
I hope to see some fun old lists.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
These things still happen, I wouldn't worry. I spend a lot of time in a GW store, and the youth are keeping the game alive and well!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Story time kids!

Ages ago, during the time of the 3.5 Chaos Codex, I knew a guy who had an unstoppable World Eaters army. It was lead by an invincible Demon prince. This guy had a 4+ invulnerable save, 7+ attacks, and could move 24 inches in one turn. Oh, how the nerd rage was high.

In order to stop the menace, I started one of the most detailed and expensive army building projects I have ever been on. I built a Tau army with 9 Broadside battle suits. It was a sight to see. The firepower, at the time, was nearly unequaled. As soon as I brought it in, the World Eaters guy said, "you win." Victory without a shot! Huzza! (But the fact that he had quit 40K and started playing WoW was besides the point.)

But soon, I took my fantastic new Tau army to a tournament. And there, the TO in all of his glorious wisdom, put WAY TOO MUCH terrain on the tables. The Tau army to end all Tau armies was defeated. The commanders of Chaos had drank of deep of my sorrow, and found them refreshing. (Actually, another friend of mine when with me and joked, "Oh, your tears are so delicious," and I laughed my head off. :biggrin:)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
In 3rd ed, I had an an eldar craftworld biel tan army.

ALL MY TROOPS WERE DARK REAPERS.
All 6 squads of them.

This didn't help, because blood angels could charge up to 30" from a rhino. Yes, they could charge further than a bolter could fire in a turn. Literally, faster than a speeding bullet.

Then 4th ed came out and my army was invalid. No more 'all your aspects are troops'.

The moral of the story (cause there should always be a moral at the end of a story :))

Don't spam kids, you won't win when people learn how to deal with it and you run the risk of a rules change invalidating your army.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have long since moved on from the first army I played back at the start of 4th ed, which was Tyranids. Now, for those of you who don't know about Tyranids in 4th ed, the codex was a veritable mess of vague wordings, strange rules and nuances. You could divide a FLGS over the interpretation of about 50% of the rules in this book. Even the staff members couldn't agree most of the time.

However, despite all of this brokenness, there was one unit that feasted on it more than any other; the Genestealers. These things were army killers. Your opponent had to learn not to put their units close together because they would die, and here's why.

Genestealers had infiltrate, which meant they could deploy 18" if they were in plain sight and 12" if they were hidden. They had a 6" move and 6" assault, but they also had Fleet which was (back in the day) a Run move that you could assault from. So, you had a 13"-18" move, which meant that you could frequently get into assault first turn, and that's where the carnage happened.

So once you got into assault, each Genestealer was I6, so striking before just about everything. They had (I think) 4-5 attacks, all with Rending (well, technically it was a biomorph, but you never left home without your rending claws). Now, Rending in 4th ed was the same as it is now, but it happen on 6's TO HIT, not to wound. So, when you have a unit of 10 Genestealers and a Broodlord hitting you first turn and causing 6.7 wounds that would ignore armour saves, plus whatever other wounds they did. Then, throw in toxin sacs for +1 S and various other biomorphs, and you would wipe out 1 unit just about every assault.

But, here's the kicker; you could consolidate into another assault. So, if you wiped out a unit and could reach another one with your consolidation move, you could wipe that one out to. And another. And another. If you opponent had his units close together you could eat and army with one unit in one turn, something I did more than once.

Sadly, I think the sheer over-powered-ness of Genestealers in 4th ed is partially to blame for them being so lack lustre in their more recent incarnations. They don't make them like they used to...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I remember going up against a genestealer army. Oh those blasted bugs. The brood lord was a hq and just nasty. I used to counter it with a lelith wytch army. Oh the speed of that army was amazing.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Oh I remember going up against a genestealer army. Oh those blasted bugs. The brood lord was a hq and just nasty. I used to counter it with a lelith wytch army. Oh the speed of that army was amazing.
Jesus, those matches must have been mentally fast!

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Story time kids!

Ages ago, during the time of the 3.5 Chaos Codex, I knew a guy who had an unstoppable World Eaters army. It was lead by an invincible Demon prince. This guy had a 4+ invulnerable save, 7+ attacks, and could move 24 inches in one turn. Oh, how the nerd rage was high.
Heh, I used to run against a Daemon Prince which ignored invulnerable saves, Armour Saves, 12" Move and Assault. The Khornate Daemon Prince could get the 4++, along with I think it was 13 S7 Attacks. The Berserker Glaive was fucking dirt and just tore apart squads.

Eh, before I knew it was optimal, I used to run Iron Warriors. 12 Obliterators in 3.5 was filth.

I think my first army that saw play way back in 3rd was a Space Marine artillery list; 3x Whirlwinds, and about 40 (metal) scouts with Sniper Rifles acting as spotters, with two command squads taken just so I could have Techmarines to fix up the Tanks. It was terrible, and got sold when 4th edition came around.

One I really wanted to run was an Infantry Guard army using the Heavy Weapon Platoon doctrine to field as many Autocannons as possible, but it sucked more dick than a Thai ladyboy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh they were. Oh they were. 😄

Going thru my data banks I am remembering an army that was a blast to play and everyone loved and cheered when I came to local place to play it. It was a very unique army to say the least. Now saying it was a blast to play I literally mean it was a blast to play against cause that's exactly what happened to it. 😄.

With a very impressive record of 1 win and the loses of, oh I don't know let's say 100, and yes I'm not kidding. True that number is rounded and maybe a little low but oh that army was fun.

Now I know everyone is dying to know what could be this fable army of lore? This army that people would cheer and praise. Well I guess I will tell everyone. The famous, infamous, non deadly, crazy................KROOT MERC list!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh the sweet memories 😀😀😀😀

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Over the years, my eldar have had various problems with the HQ's.

Firstly - The Avatar. In 2nd ed, he was a beast with 7 wounds with a 2+ which could only be reduced by weapons to a 4+. This wasn't that bad, because lascannons did 2d6 wounds, so you could spend 300pts on him and have him killed 1st turn with one shot.

In 3rd ed, he got a points drop. YAY!. To 80pts. He became pretty rubbish, but when 3.5 hit, he could have an exarch bodyguard of up to 5 exarchs (the court of the young king)
5 Howling Banshee exarchs later, I had a unit which could beat most things on the table. But then 4th ed came along and said NO to that idea, and removed craftworld lists competely.
In 5th he was 155pts and was 'ok'. Now to take a good avatar the points are creeping back up again...and he can be one hit killed again.
Yay for the circle of eldar life.

In 3rd ed, no one took the avatar normally. Because Baharroth.

The phoenix of death.
Everytime I hit you, I get +1 attack. With a powersword.
When they used to ignore armour saves. And he got 7 attacks on the charge.
I used to run out of dice.
Phrases like 'I've just charged your terminators, you need to make 35 saves were not uncommon'

But I think this may have been in the brief moment when terminators HAD NO INVULNERABLE SAVES. Just a 2+. They got faq'd to have a 5+, which they've kept ever since.

But in 2nd, they had a 3+ using 2d6. That was when they were king...

But instead of dice we used banana's, only we called em apple carts, this was just before the outbreak of the 2nd world war which was caused by overeating and we used belt buckles as currency...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I just remember the good old days of warschythes ignoring invulnerable save and having built in gauss blasters, as well as veil of darkness being able to jump out of CC. I don't forget the invincible monolith immune to melta and lance and 300pt c'tans. I was planning on having an 'old' codex game iwth some friends but that fell through when we realised that a lot of us don't have enough of the models that were from that 'dex due to mot of their army being new releases

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I remember the days of Lash. I barely lost in 5th edition with the amazing combination of Lash + Mech = Wins. And in 5th, when cover was 4+, moving people out of cover was game-changing. And you did it every turn from 130pt Winged Daemon Princes.

·
Registered
564 Posts
my favourite army from the past would have to be my feral orks army from back in the rogue trader days.. you could never get as much randomness from anything else. pigdoks and there upgrades and the madboyz just deciding to start arguing over whether a cloud was gork or mork. Also nothing would make me chuckle more than having a big daemon not being able to target or hurt a wyrdboy that would justy drop a big fist on units from the sky. and everything that could be on boars (not bikes) was. a giant squigoth was always good to play and see on the battlefield. Never did really well but sure was fun. not to mention squighounds and herders. I could go on about those fun days with that army but enough re-living the nostalgia.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I have been involved in the hobby since 1988 and my favorite army of all time was my ork deathskullz army from the last edition. I could have a looted basilisk, looted lemon russ and a looted demolisher for a little more than what IG got them. It was fun using IG weapons to kill IG armies. Also the lootas could take and use weapons from any squad. So space marine scout squads with sniper rifles got looted, I just hit on a 4+. The mob up rule was a great way to run many small mobs and when they broke have them mob up with another unit making super ork mobs with multiple power klaws and special weapons in them. And of course my favorite rule ever was the chopped rule that made all armor a 4+ save. Terminators died in droves and all power armor players cried as their squads got wiped out.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The days of the convoluted 3.5 Chaos 'dex gave rise to wonderfully weird armies. Probably most infamous (besides Basilisk-laden Iron Warriors) were the Alpha Legion lists, which regularly consisted of Infiltrating 20-strong cultist blobs, with melta-bombs and Furious Charge.

Among my favorites, I saw a few armies that took advantage of the fact that every Chosen or Possessed with a Mark of Tzeentch automatically became became sorcerers, with access to the psychic armory. Whole squads slinging around Doombolt and Wind of Chaos, and giving the Lord a nice council of sorcerers. It was fluffy and fun, but, like most Tzeentchian lists I remember from that time, expensive and not entirely practical.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Virus Ourbreak event card in 2nd ed - seeing this decimate a friends Guard army before having to face a very beardy Wolves list was painful but entertaining to watch.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I used to run footslogging guard and sentinels.

Thats all that made up the army.

People would always play me, I averaged a 1:8 Win/Loss Ratio, usually by VP totals that gave my opponent "outstanding victories" or whatever it use to be called. My crowning moment was when I threw about 50+ guard into combat with a chaplain who slew about 20 of them single handed but I kept passing my LD test to survive. In the end a sentinel ran in and stamped on him before the blob consolidated into a nearby terminator squad and clubbed them to death in the 7th turn.

It was fun, then I saved up enough pocket money to buy Leman Russ tanks. Then I got a job and built Leaf-blower. But it was never the same fun. I've had good moments, but nothing like I used to in 3rd.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts