Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or has it been very very quiet since the crash?

Now I know the forum is only about nine months old but wouldn't it be great to get a few more people hanging around.

I only idea I have is to invite new users of other sites. Anybody got any others which will have more success?

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
I'm onto the host at the moment trying to figure out whats causing the errors.

I know there's a script error somewhere in the mods i've added but pinning it down is almost impossible without totally extracting every mod and adding them again.

To see how shit basic phpbb is take a look at www.40kforums.com

People are obviously getting pissed off with the site failures but in truth the sites only down for 6-7 hours every fortnight.

Ideally i'd like to change over to vbulletin sometime in the future, which will cost swapping the database over and buying the software license.

I'm willing to strip the site back to barebones phpbb and add only the essential mods if you guys like. It'll only take me a day to do but we'll lose some of the scripts I enjoy - automatic photo resizing, dhtml user name links etc.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Jez that wasn't meant as a dig at you. I was just generally seeing if there were any ideas to get membership up.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Wasn't taken as a dig mate :)

You've hit the nail dead on the head. Activity has dwindled, i've been busy pissing around on ebay too much these past few weeks so i'm partly at fault.

Of course we could try spamming other forums with "come visit us" style messages.

I personally couldn't give a fuck what people think about that :mrgreen:

Although it does generate bad vibes.

Buidling a new 40k community in the current Warseer dominated era was never going to be easy.

Heres a post off the admin area that explains a few of the efforts we've been making

Theres a few different ways to do it according to the research I did

Try to convert those shy lurkers

Every forum, small or large has a number of lurkers. These are people that use your forum and find value in the threads and topics; however they never actually make it as a member of contribute themselves. One expert in this area suggested that for every one forum member, there are ten lurkers in the background. That’s quite an amazing statistic; it also represents a fantastic opportunity. We just need to work out a way to convert the lurkers into regular members. We’ve listed below some suggestions:

Have a “Welcome to the forum, introduce yourself” thread. Often you’ll find that lurkers are a little worried about their first post or treading on the toes of more established users. Encourage them to say Hi. Once they overcome the first post shyness, they often go on to make regular contributions to your forum.

Try starting a controversial thread; this largely depends on your forum topic. However, it often has the affect of inciting a first post from a lurker. If you have a car forum or community, think along the lines of “The latest model from X manufacturer is the worst car in history.”

Try to understand why lurkers do not want to post. Often it is because they feel intimidated or worried about how their post will be perceived. Working on the warmth or welcome factor of your forum might help.
Finally one of the best ways to entice lurkers to post is to create an area that is only available to members with a certain number of posts. Their curiosity will always get the better of them.
There's also a few other ways

Newsletters - Reminder emails, if you want to write one up to entice old members back onto the board be my guest. I sent one the other day when we returned but noticed most people havent even seen it. Probably new email addresses etc.

Make sure each poster know they're a part of the community - an example would be me sending Sons of Horus a personnal welcome back message. (although not a very good one because he's already posted) :?

Another idea would be adding a "private" section for members posting x amount of times - curiosity.

The whole point of online wargaming is to chat, discuss tactics and display images. It's not a very introverted subject so I can't see why people don't post. They probably joined as a tester and went back to 'their' old forums.

Maybe we can think up some topics designed to drag people off the lurker pile.
How about a "This is my first post" thread in off topic!

This is interesting.

There are some ways to encourage posting, and one is to give half-answers to questions that prompts others to post and helps to bring some of those lurkers out of their corner.

Some people are timid to be the first one to respond, some not knowing if they really know the correct answer or just nervous being the first. If you give just a bit of it, just enough and know when to stop, it's almost like they finish your thought in their heads - and know that they do know what the answer is. It'll get them "feeling" like finishing your post for you - so they're prone to jump in and post.

It's kind of like putting teasers out; I've seen it happen over and over again innumerable times. It takes a bit of practice to get it down, but it works and it's one of the most effective ways of driving people out of lurking.
When all's said and done I don't think you can do much to get them posting regular.

I've been considering a promotion drive over the next few weeks. I posted twice on 40kforums, my post (and signature link) was spotted by a member who's been here ever since.

I think spamming other forums with rules questions, army lists etc will do more for us than anything else.

As cccp_one mentioned signature links are pretty much the only friendly way to go about "recruiting" new members.

Write out a controversial thread or crazy army, add a signature link like this in your forum sig and spam it in every 40k forum you can find.

Code:
[url=http://www.heresy-online.net]Heresy Online[/url] - A new Warhammer 40k community.
If the 5 out of every 20 topics on those forums have a link to us we'll receive hundreds of click throughs.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Easiest thing will probably be to just to do the 'spamming other forums with rules questions, army lists etc'

Guess I'll start tomorrow. Do we have any sig-banners that we can all use to advertise. Also what forums allow banners in sigs?

Now to start thinking up questions.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I asked the question a second ago but I just remembered didn't son of morris (Ithink it was him) make up some while back?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
No, fuck you all! :drunk:

Jk! :D Sure. I can make them better too.

But i have been cracking into some PS7's and CE's so after that is done...

And i have to do bloodhound's sig.

But for now: http://www.heresy-online.net/viewtopic.php?t=83&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20 (some old and rather crappy ones)

Also--The next free day i have will consist of me going to hundreds of 40k sites i can find and "spamming politely" :wink:

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A thing I saw on B&C was a list of forums which I assume are sister sites. Is their any chance we can also get onto that list - you know maybe offer them the same sort of thing on ours?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe put them in a more obvious place for them as well.

The area for them is at the top of the page under the links section but I don't think many people look there so other forums may not see it as being worth including us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts