Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are they and how do they work? They're mentioned in the IG stormtrooper entry, but no explanation is given. Same for the armory, they are mentioned, but no explanation is given.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
well in a SM army they hit on a 6 and do great penitration I don't have my rule book with me but it is something like 4+2d6 but I am not sure??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Check your BGB - in short you hit vehicles in assault as normal eg. you only get one attack, if it is stationary you hit automatically, moved 6 hit on 4+, moved more than 6 hit on 6+. The meltabombs are strength 8 and you add 2 dice 6 for armor penetration. They work a charm always give them to my assault squad. 8)
 

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
Joined
·
8,082 Posts
Quite expensive though, if your looking to cut costs - I'd recommend taking them on a Sergent/Vet Ser and giving the rest of the squad normal Kraks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Severian said:
Check your BGB - in short you hit vehicles in assault as normal eg. you only get one attack, if it is stationary you hit automatically, moved 6 hit on 4+, moved more than 6 hit on 6+. The meltabombs are strength 8 and you add 2 dice 6 for armor penetration. They work a charm always give them to my assault squad. 8)
Thanks a lot. I had looked in the index, but all I could find was the entry for meltaguns. It's all so clear now.

Jacobite said:
Quite expensive though, if your looking to cut costs - I'd recommend taking them on a Sergent/Vet Ser and giving the rest of the squad normal Kraks.
Yeah, but it's not a full squad. I designed them around tank hunting, giving one guy a plasmagun and one guy a meltagun. The sarge has a plasmapistol and powersword, and then I have just four hellgun troopers. So I was thinking, since I didn't take ten, I could use the extra points I saved (from not buying extra troopers) to buy them all meltabombs. I like the 8+2D6 AP, is very nice.
 

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
Joined
·
8,082 Posts
True - I suppose thats fair enough, although I always tend to go with more bodies rather than better equipment especially when we are talking about Imperial Gaurd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
I'd generally stay away from Melta bombs, especially on expensive assault squad. Generally you want them tied up In combat where they can't be shot, If you take the risk and go for the MB charge kill It or not your going to be sat In the open with you 200pts+ unit waiting to be shot.
If your playing guard I'd go for deep striking vets with melta guns ftw, whatever deep strikes won't/shouldn't survive so max out on the three specials and add the PP If the points are available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, the total is 148 points, with deepstrike thrown in, so they can get to the tanks faster. And I figure if they can kill even one, they earn their point total back 1-1/2 times, maybe twice, depending on what their target is and how tricked out it is, so it seems like a pretty good investment for me. I acknowledge that they are a suicide squad, there to grav chute in, kill as much armor as possible, and then die. I just think it's nice having all that anti-armor in one package.

Also, on a totally unrelated note, have you noticed how Daemonhunters stormies cost the same, but are not nearly as good? They only get frags as standard issue, and it costs more to upgrade to a vet sarge. Their profiles are the same, so how is this justified? A bigger armory? :scratch:
 

·
Ex Mod.
Joined
·
4,245 Posts
remember, you cannot assualt on the turn you drop. so, the likelyhood is that they will be killed before they get to assualt a tank.

the best way to do this is to have a 6 man DS squad with 2 meltaguns, and a sarge with a plasma pistol. its very cheap, and as you wont probably ever get to use a grenade, more effective.
 

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
Joined
·
8,082 Posts
I think the Deamon Hunters storm troopers are worse because its a older codex but you do have a very good point about the armoury.

Not that I really mind the ST's being like that, if that was the biggest problem with the DH codex I would be a very happy man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Thing Is for 148pts(150pts) you could get the following for Kamikaze AT:

5 x Vets: 3 x Melta Guns
(75pts)

5 x Vets: 3 x Melta Guns
(75pts)

I know I'd rather have 6 melta guns that can hit two targets over a single unit with 2 meltas and a few MB's, personal preference at the end of the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, but vets can't deepstrike, nor do frags and kraks come standard. Stormies also get a better save than vets. I understand the point though about deepstriking and being trapped for a turn, so I think I might infiltrate instead. You have to be 12" away from an enemy model, but I cans still move, shoot, and assault. So that way, I can move up six, shoot at some of them w/ my plasma gun and pistol, and my melta, and then assault the next vehicle that's there.

Oh and LongBeard, that's how much my seven man squad w/ infiltrate, MB, meltagun, plasmagun and pistol, and powersword. I took the plasmagun because I figure their BS is slightly better, and their armor is better too, so I can risk it. Plus, it's got more range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
LongBeard said:
I'd generally stay away from Melta bombs, especially on expensive assault squad. Generally you want them tied up In combat where they can't be shot, If you take the risk and go for the MB charge kill It or not your going to be sat In the open with you 200pts+ unit waiting to be shot.
If your playing guard I'd go for deep striking vets with melta guns ftw, whatever deep strikes won't/shouldn't survive so max out on the three specials and add the PP If the points are available.
I use them on a marine assault squad so a bit of difference ... but if you are blowing up a tank with them try and hide behind the tank to avoid the nasty incoming fire (usually a flank attack) and you get to hit the side armor ... oh, did I forget to mention that you better say your prayers to the emperor that you don't roll a 6 on the damage tables after you get that penetrating hit? Especially with guard it is just going to ruin your day if you get caught in the explosion. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I was making the squad, I only had one of each in my bitz box, so there you go. Once I buy more SM sprues, I'll model an extra guy, but until then, it's a melta/plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,822 Posts
Cadian81st said:
Yeah, but vets can't deepstrike, nor do frags and kraks come standard. Stormies also get a better save than vets. I understand the point though about deepstriking and being trapped for a turn, so I think I might infiltrate instead. You have to be 12" away from an enemy model, but I cans still move, shoot, and assault. So that way, I can move up six, shoot at some of them w/ my plasma gun and pistol, and my melta, and then assault the next vehicle that's there.

Oh and LongBeard, that's how much my seven man squad w/ infiltrate, MB, meltagun, plasmagun and pistol, and powersword. I took the plasmagun because I figure their BS is slightly better, and their armor is better too, so I can risk it. Plus, it's got more range.
Two words. Drop Troops. Yes, Vets can Deep Strike. And they already have Infiltrate thrown in for free. And since I expect them to die anyways, I don't really worry about whether their save is 4+ or 5+.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top