Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Did they ever even re-rule on how artillery behaves after they made the new codex?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
So Turbo Penetrator is completely nerfed vs Monolith?
Well, you can try to track down an old version of the FAQ, show it to your opponent, and try to convince him it's still relevent, despite not being anywhere official anymore, and hope he doesn't question it too closely...

Not exactly the best Plan A, but you know.

Plan B would be to find the Necronomicon, written by the mad Arab Abdul Alhazred, travel to the the Sunken City of R'lyeh, wreathed in mystery, perform the Sacred Rituals and Awaken ye the Dark One, then watch in gibbering horror as Cthulhu brings about the end of all that is good and wholesome in the world and turns it into an insane breeding ground for gibbering horrors from the nether regions of frozen space.

Not exactly the best Plan B either....

Maybe I should leave the planning to other people...

/Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

·
Registered
596 Posts
maddermax, you're selling your plan B short.

After you tracked down the Necronomicon, you'd indisputably have something which makes the rules and organization of GW's books look good by comparison.

The whole Cthulhu thing would just be a bonus. :eek:k:

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The reason why living metal specifically mentions chainfists getting the "extra" dice as opposed to simply rolling 2D6 is because (if I remember correctly) in 3rd Edition, the definition of a chainfist was "A powerfist that gains an extra 1D6 on their rolls to penetrate against vehicles".

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
But that part of the rule that you are focusing on that says " a single d6 " earlier also says "Unaugmented strength" ... what I am trying to point out is the melta bombs strength IS 8+2d6. It is not strength 8 at all.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
But that part of the rule that you are focusing on that says " a single d6 " earlier also says "Unaugmented strength" ... what I am trying to point out is the melta bombs strength IS 8+2d6. It is not strength 8 at all.
No, that's not strength, that's penetration. You could look at this as "Str. 8 hit that rolls 2d6 for penetration", which is what the rule implies, and is the way that pretty much everyone plays it. Of course, for RAW buffs, that's not what it actually says. So in terms of pure RAW there are two options:

"In practice, any weapon attacking the monolith will roll for armour penetration using its unaugmented strength and a single D6 no matter what."

1) The meltabomb has no strength, so it can only ever do is do is d6 penetration - useless. This reading assumes that the only penetration you can get is unaugmented str. + d6, and nothing more.

2) The rule doesn't make any mention of stopping things that aren't strength, so anything other than a strength modifier or a extra penetration dice beyond a single D6 is fine - which would mean the base +8 pen modifier still works, even though the attack has a technical str. of 0. In this case, the Meltabomb gets 8+d6 penetration. This reading also allows other modifiers like Tank hunters or similar rules to affect the monolith.

Personally, I agree with part two in terms of RAW. Which ever way you slice it though, everyone plays "8+d6" against the 'lith. It's one of those obvious little things that people get caught up in the minutae of, when it's just not worth arguing.

At any rate, I hope that helped somewhat :)

41 - 47 of 47 Posts