Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Nah, against a monolith it's still only a single d6. It's come up before once or twice - the rule is pretty specific is saying you only ever get a single d6 pen.
The rule says no such thing at all. It says only attacks which have "extra" dice for penetration do not get their bonus, and it states that this includes the Melta and the Lance rule. A meltabomb does not use the melta rule, and does not have "extra" penetration, it has a _standard_ roll with a strength of 8+2d6. The rule in the necron codex does _not_ state that you may only use 1d6. It ONLY says that weapons with rules granting them "extra" dice for penetration do not gain the "extra" penetration.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
Exactly correct ... the extra dice for example, would be a melta gun at 5" range would be Str8+1d6 instead of the traditional str8+2d6 due to the closeness of the meltagun range. The melta bomb has only the profile to go buy ... there are no "extra" dice ... hell there is no strength attached to the bomb as far as that goes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am gonna have to agree. RAW say a straight 8+2d6. There is no half-range to have a Melta special rule. The Min/Max range of a MeltaBomb is 0"/CQB, and it's Armour Pen is rolled at 8+2d6. Therefore, MeltaBombs have no need for the Melta special rule, because there is no difference in their penetration for range like MM, MG, and Infernus Pistols have.

·
Registered
860 Posts
But isn't the bomb getting a "+2D6"? Wouldn't you say that's a bonus? 2D6 is 2 extra disce that you roll at add to the strength value. I think the Monolith rule protects it from that bonus

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If that were the case, then the monolith would be literally indestructible.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If that were the case, then the monolith would be literally indestructible.
Right, because it's impossible to roll a 6 on a S9 attack or a 5+ on a S10. Meltabombs get 8+1d6 against Monoliths, 8+2d6 against Stormravens.

/thread

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think you missed my point. I meant if there were no "+dice" to strength at all.

Also I would argue monoliths suffer the same damage vs meltabombs as all other vehicles for the reasons mentioned.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Codex: Necrons, Page 21, subheading "Living Metal"

"Similarly, weapons that get additional Armour Penetration dice (such as chainfists, monstrous creatures, or melta weapons) do not get the extra dice against the Monolith."

What is important to note here is that any "additional" or "extra" dice stated are in comparison to rolling 1d6, as that is the norm. In actuality, this is not the most crucial sentence to this argument at all; the next one is.

"In practice, any weapon attacking the monolith will roll for armour penetration using its unaugmented strength and a single D6 no matter what."

"roll... a single D6 no matter what" means weapons may only roll a single d6 no matter what. End of argument. If anyone can now offer me an intelligent argument why melta bombs should still be able to roll 2d6 against a Monolith, go ahead.

EDIT- In addition (upon checking the rules for Chainfists), a chainfist simply "rolls 2d6 for its armour penetration value" (Codex: Space Marines, Page 64, subheading "Chainfist"), the same wording as the rules for melta bombs, and is quite obviously prohibited.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
"In practice, any weapon attacking the monolith will roll for armour penetration using its unaugmented strength and a single D6 no matter what.
This is not a sentence in the codex that I have right in front of me.

The EXACT wording is this:

Weapons that get additional armour penetration dice (such as chainfists, monstrous creatures, or melta weapons) do not get the extra dice against the Monolith.
And then it goes on to mention that this is not the case for ordnance weapons.

THERE IS NO MENTION OF HAVING TO ONLY USE 1D6.

The meltabomb doesn't get "extra" dice - it's BASE value is 8+2D6. Therefore this is the strength used.

·
4,491 Posts
Ok, i just read pages and pages of information regarding Meltabombs vs Monoliths on at least half a dozen various forums, and as far as i can work out, Meltabombs do indeed get 8+2D6 against a monolith, as this is its "Normal" damage, and there are no additional dice.

The argument was concluded when somebody mentioned the "Turbo Penetrator" rounds from a Vindicare Assassin. The strength is 3D6, and it was even FAQ'ed that it is still 3D6 against the Monolith.

Both the Turbo Penetrator rounds and the Meltabombs represent the strength of the weapon, and do not represent additional dice.

·
Registered
795 Posts
wait wait did someone just try to blatantly lie to validate an argument in this thread? Stating that in a codex rulebook something was written, that truly wasn't?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
wait wait did someone just try to blatantly lie to validate an argument in this thread? Stating that in a codex rulebook something was written, that truly wasn't?
It looks that way, because someone certainly did quote something that is NOT there.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Look, firstly No one is lying. We are all correct here.

The problem is GW, you see. There are currently 2 versions of the codex. The super old one, which doesn't include the sentence. And the newer one Which does, and is currently the rules that should be used. The stupid part is that GW has not put this info in the FAQ/Errata at all - creating endless rules debates and misunderstandings.

This has come up before. CHECK THIS THREAD HERE.. The new rules, which is what is in all newer books (has been out for more than a few years now) include the phrase "In practice, any weapon attacking the Monolith will roll for armour penetration using its unaugmented strength and a single D6 no matter what." at the end of the rule.

In light of that statement, I think we can all agree meltabombs get only 1d6 against monoliths. You may now proceed to the "swearing at GW for being bloody idiots" phase of the debate. :p

/This has been a Maddermax Public Service Announcement. Please have a nice day :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
So the codex in both cases is the same edition, and yet have different contents?

Sounds uber retarded, to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, as maddermax has stated, I have the newer version of the codex, which has the key line which yours does not: "In practice, any weapon attacking the Monolith will roll for armour penetration using its unaugmented strength and a single D6 no matter what." I can see how you would have come to the conclusion that melta bombs roll 2d6 versus Monoliths without that sentence, but with that sentence, which is in the newer and correct version of the rules, in my opinion the conclusion is clear.

Even if that does not satisfy you, how do you argue to the fact that a chainfist, with the same sort of "rolls 2d6, not 1d6 plus an 'extra' dice" definitely rolls 1d6 against vehicles (which, in my opinion, would point towards melta bombs also rolling 1d6)?

EDIT: Baltar, when was your codex printed/purchased? Also, Vanitus Malus, did you check your codex before accusing me of lying? If so, i apologize, but it didn't seem like you had in your post, and I'd at least like the level of respect which would warrant a small check.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
So the codex in both cases is the same edition, and yet have different contents?

Sounds uber retarded, to me.
Yes there are, and yes it is. I think the first printing was until 2006 maybe. All GW needs do is to put that sentence into the errata and all would be well. And yet...

Ok, i just read pages and pages of information regarding Meltabombs vs Monoliths on at least half a dozen various forums, and as far as i can work out, Meltabombs do indeed get 8+2D6 against a monolith, as this is its "Normal" damage, and there are no additional dice.

The argument was concluded when somebody mentioned the "Turbo Penetrator" rounds from a Vindicare Assassin. The strength is 3D6, and it was even FAQ'ed that it is still 3D6 against the Monolith.

Both the Turbo Penetrator rounds and the Meltabombs represent the strength of the weapon, and do not represent additional dice.
There is no current ruling on the Turbo Penetrator, and hasn't been since last edition. As such, despite the fact that it got ruled on last edition, in this edition it apparently only gets D6 pen, same as anything else. Yes, stupid, and yes, once again, should have been ruled on by GW. GWs support of Necrons is pretty damn crappy, no denying it. The meltabomb was never ruled differently, and as such (as far as I know) was always was limited to only one dice.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If that is what the new codex says, then there can be no question about it. It's quite clear that there is no level of penetration against a monolith above +1d6.

Making it a bitch to kill, really.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts