Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Yep, meltas can be used each and every turn if needed.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The only drawback to melta bombs is using them limits your attacks characteristic to one. I'd suggest a powerfist instead. You get all your attacks and you can really throw a tank a beating.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Powerfist is always the best choice if you can. It kills characters and tanks. However, it's not always available and a couple meltabombs on squadies can really help out if your fist is having bad luck or gets vaped.

Here's a noodle-boiler...does a meltabomb get its 8+2d6 penetration against a monolith? The living metal rule says that special penetration bonuses like those of melta weapons is denied...however, meltabombs (name aside) don;t have the melta characteristic, 8+2d6 IS its normal penetration characteristic, just like the flat 2d6 of a sniper rifle, or the 3d6 of a vindicare's turbo-penetrator (which is allowed against a lith, btw)

Meltagun gets +1d6 penetration at half range, chainfist gets +1d6 penetration but meltabomb doesn;t get a + or - anything. It just always is S 8+2d6 vs vehicles.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hmmm very interesting point galahad, its not like its extra penetration like living metal normally blocks, its just what it is, really not sure about that one

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Yeah, plus the strength for a normal weapon, plus an extra d6 for meltas and chainfists, etc.

However, the question is whether the living metal rule renders a meltabomb 8+1d6 or whether the 2d6 penetration is simply a part of how the bomb works and not an additional special bonus. After all, turbo penetrator rounds work fine because 3d6 is just how they work, not a bonus.

The rule says it negates any *additional* dice of penetration, but is the meltabomb's 2d6 penetration 'additional dice' or is it just standard for melta bombs? Melta guns clearly get an additional die for being up close. Chainfists say they work a spowerfists, but with an additional die of penetration. And Monstrous Creatures clearly state that they roll an additional die for penetration (all three were cited as examples of what living metal negates) but meltabombs don't say they get an additional die of penetration, just that their AP is equal to 8+2d6.

·
Registered
811 Posts
however, it doesnt have to, be cause you can only use it at point blank range.

although, I agree, melta bombs would be completely useless if they didn't work here, cause hitting a skimmer with one attack is hard enough.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only drawback to melta bombs is using them limits your attacks characteristic to one. I'd suggest a powerfist instead. You get all your attacks and you can really throw a tank a beating.
true you only get one attack with a melta bomb but its st 8 +2d6, potentially st 20! compared to st 8 +1d6, potential st 14. making it a lot easier to deliver that killing blow to the armoured beasties and incidentally making it fairly easy to "tear a land raider a new one"

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
I don't think I would try blowing up a monolith with meltabombs unless that was the only unit available to target. Its not worth the percentages.

·
Registered
804 Posts
As well isnt it harder to hit with grenades? not sure if im right but i thought it hit on 6's unless the armor is immobolized? correct me if im wrong please

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Yep skimmers is hit on 6 in cc. So with a monolith its 6's to hit, than needing 8's to penetrate. Assuming it gets +2d6 to pene (which I think it won't) thus there is a 15/36 * 1/6 chance to penetrate it. Which is a 7% chance. If its only +1d6 the percentage drops to 3%

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
DaemonsR'us said:
As well isnt it harder to hit with grenades? not sure if im right but i thought it hit on 6's unless the armor is immobolized? correct me if im wrong please
Not quite.
Grenades require the same roll to hit as any assault attacks against a vehicle. It's not harder to hit with grenades.

Automatic if immobile or didn't move
4+ if it moved 6" or less
6+ if it moved more than 6" or if it's a non-immobilized skimmer

So yes, 6+ against a 'lith. But then so is anything else you;d try and swing at the lith with.

·
Banned
801 Posts
It has been specified that Meltabombs don't work against the Monolith.

Even if it wasn't, all you have to do is think. Melta weapons are called Melta weapons because they get 2d6 at close ranges. The meltabomb is a melta weapon that gets another d6 to penetrate. They just don't give it the Melta rule because then ididots would be saying you can only get the 2d6 at 1" or B2B contact.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Which FAQ was this in, Uber?

·
Banned
801 Posts
I think it was one of the internet ones. I may well have been pulled by now. All I know is that I most definetly saw a rendition of the rule with "including Melta Bombs" in it.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
The necrons FAQ doesn't mention meltabombs. It just said not count ANY "bonus penetration" but goes on to say that the turbo penetrator is the exception because its 3d6 penetration isn't a bonus, it's just how the weapon works. It's 'not bonus penetration, as such.'

Likewise, the logical assumption is that meltabombs should work because nowhere is it stated that they are receiving any 'bonus' penetration. 2d6 penetration is just how it works. It's not bonus penetration, as such.

Can;t find any other official FAQ that comes close to covering this issue.

It may have been in one of the old, unofficial messageboard FAQs, but it;s certainly not covered in the official rules.

I'm not saying that's how it was intended to work, but (for better or worse) that's how it does work, for now.

GW really needs to update their codices and check messageboard debates now and then.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts