Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, how do you suppose a Necron force bent on close combat superiority would look? Would it look like a winnable force, or more like a figment of one's imagination?

I'd like to assemble this list....

1 Necron Lord w/ Res Orb, Veil

10 Flayed Ones (Flayed Ones can Infiltrate and Deepstrike as well as
10 Flayed Ones.. force a leadership test on any unit in mêlée, where
10 Flayed Ones.. failing will drop the unit's WS to 1)

20 Warriors (Warriors teleporting with the Lord can wipe out any unit in
15 Warriors.. the game, with vehicles being especially at risk)
15 Warriors

3 Wraiths (Wraiths ignore Difficult Terrain and have a 3++ save, as well
3 Wraiths.. as a substantial amount of Str6 attacks, making them a threat
3 Wraiths.. to vehicles as well)

1 Monolith (THE Necron support unit. It can Heal as it Kills. Nuff said)

91 Models, 90 Necrons, Phase Out: 22, 2250pts

This is not a critique of an army list... this is a discussion on the likely tactics and circumstances that must be considered before fielding such an unusual force. How would you defeat such a force? What would you most fear?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I just pee'd a little bit.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If facing this force I would field some anti-tank to wipe out the monolith. and many AP 3 weapons with which to wipe out the necrons at a range. And since I play daemonhunters I would field a vindicare with which to wipe out the necron lord before his orb could do much. after that I would rely on my troops firepower to seriously injure the enemy enough to make them leave.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
that list looks good if you were to organise a battle with someone and just say what army you were each using they would think necrons lots of guns but with that list they will be caught by supprise

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. The goal is to toss out the norm, include the rarely seen, and give the locals a good change of pace.

I can see the army beating anything at 2250. But, am I overlooking something. Is it flawed? Are there really too many threats to counter with this force?

Granted that any Necron army need not fear vehicles, and also considering the upcoming edition, vehicles will be that much rarer, I think, so no problems there. Infantry will be a blast, as I shoot and ASSAULT in nearly every turn. The Monolith, as always, is just a support piece and a way to soak up some heavy firepower.

What kind of list could defeat this one?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Orks. 300,000,000 of them. I should be able to get that many for 2250 points. But seriously I think Orks could beat them. I think the only armies that could challenge your army are close combat horde armies and extremely mobile armies. Shooty armies would get wiped out by your wraiths and flayed ones.

·
Registered
53 Posts
high intiative CC armies would hand you your ass on a silver platter, espically with power weapons.

Say, Genestealer cults, 13th co lists, the harlequin / howling banshee mech lists, nidzilla lists, da orkz, maybe khorne?

Your amount of attacks is not something to take for granted, but your meq initiative and lack of power weapons is not something to fear.

~dan

·
Registered
368 Posts
Good list very solid with the good core of troops and the squads of 3 wraiths will be hard for anyone to take down. The teleporting squad of 20 was a particualrly nice touch.

Obviously tanks are out of the question, unless your fielding a vindicator/skyray/earthshaker something that can basically hide the game away while still being a tactically sound investment. So in reality as opposition your looking at a mainly infantry army. Heavy weapons are the one thing the enemy will have and you wont. with no destroyers your range is stunted. Even if you deep strike everything you can in your army into my lines for the first few turns i'll have range on you. I can sit back picking off some troops and wait for you to come to me. When your in range i'll hit you with jump infantry. And flayed ones are sadly not that hard. I've had sisters beat them in close combat. While their terror ability is cool it wont excel against high leadership standard marines.

This army strikes me as a real cityfight style army that could easily excel. Wariths pass through all terrain= straight line to enemy and enemy get no cover save when assaulted. No particualrly straight corridors of fire to whittle your troops down. Infiltrating flayed could easily get within 12" in cover forcing any assault marines to dangerous terrain. Teleporting lord with squad/deepstriking monolth to flank static lines.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My hope is to have close games, as close to draws as possible. Victory really is not that important, provided I don't lose because I phase out. Tourneys ought to be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
66 Posts
well i'd like to hear the harlies scream when they get torn apart by 6 wraiths (ini 6 rules)...
sounds like a good idea, i would, however drop 15 warriors and add another monolith for increased mobiliy to get your flayed ones into combat and repair your guys if phase out draws close. when you deepstrike the monos and infiltrate the flayed ones you should be able to pull off a 2nd or 3rd turn charge with all your close combat units at the same time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
well the only army that hasnt been mentioned yet that I could think of is deathwing. If they are fielded rite all they have to do is get into one or two of the warrior units and it is game.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very true, Dred73...

With the Necron Lord having the only power weapon in the army, Terminators would be a real pain. The only tactic for dealing with them would be to simply stay out of combat long enought to make them fail enough saves via the Warriors' firepower. I'm sure that the Monolith could prove valuable here, if accompanying Dreads and Land Raiders don't shut it down too soon.

That should make for a very intersting game, though I don't think that it is an automatic loss. My IG, with very few AP1/2 weapons, shred Termies pretty often, though they have never faced off against a pure Deathwing, either.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
an army which is fully pimped and a pure combat army may be able to be them but it will be close

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I think Nids would be a challenge but in my experience Nids have been pain for Necrons to deal with. I think footslooger orks would also give this army problems but otherwise I think it would be difficult for armies to deal with making things close.

·
Registered
538 Posts
they are not strong enuff to do cc all the way. too many other races with either higher init,pwr wpns and more attks or all 3. wriath sqds only 3 strong. if they were 10 man sqds then they would be worth it.

if you did over 2000pts then do 1/2 the army cc then more conceovable.
this is of course talkikng competively. playing for fun and theme then it would be cool.
all in how you want to play and your style.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the army is half combat.....

Lord, Flayed Ones, Wraiths = 7 Units, 40 Models combat oriented
Warriors, Monolith = 4 Units, 51 Models shooting oriented.

... but about as much combat as can be squeezed into the list with the options available.

·
Registered
64 Posts
To be quite honest I would recommend another lord just to keep the res orb range. If one teleports with a squad, then there's no orb accompanying your footslogger guys. So your opponent could quite reasonably concentrate his heavy weapon fire on those guys and deny them the opportunity to roll WBB.

Also if you're willing to take the risk you could deep strike the monolith and deploy one of the warrior squads through it when they're available. The problem is that if they destroy the mono in the first turn you're screwed.

·
Banned
67 Posts
any close combat troops with 2+ or even 3+ saves are really hard to beat, because you only have 1 power weapon unit, such as nidzilla

1 - 20 of 56 Posts