Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

McNeill's next Heresy novel

4K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  gatorgav 
#1 ·
Well im not sure on what the hell it could be about but Graham McNeill has given a clue about his next Horus Heresy novel, on what he is doing to prepare for it.

Graham McNeill said:
I’ve just finished Aaron’s The First Heretic, and all I’ll say is that when you have some of that hard-earned cash to hand, you should get yourself to your nearest BL webstore and purchase yourself a copy. It’s a cracking read, and is a sterling addition to the Horus Heresy range. Coming hot on the heels of my reading of Nemesis and Prospero Burns, I know I’ve got a lot of work to do in order to make sure my next Heresy book really takes flight. To that end I’ve been reading a comparative study of dreaming in the world’s religions to get some solid background research done, so I’ll let that percolate in your minds to figure out what it might be about. I’ll be telling you more about this later…
Dreaming... sounds very interesting. Looking forward to more news of this. And more praise for The First Heretic, its taking too long to release it.

#2 ·
An interesting tidbit, by McNeill. However, it only increases the intruige as to which Legion it will cover.

To that end I’ve been reading a comparative study of dreaming in the world’s religions to get some solid background research done, so I’ll let that percolate in your minds to figure out what it might be about
I'm not too sure how this can possibly relate to the sons of Perturabo, or even Guilliman, for that matter. The former, the Iron Warriors, in terms of society and culture are very Hellenic, where as the Ultramarines resemble a more Byanzantine people; in terms of labelling a Historical period to a Legion which shares aspects.

Either way, the promise of a new arc of stories (Hopefully on the Iron Warriors) culminating in the Cleansing of Olympia and Perturabo's succumbing to jealousy and hatred of Dorn should be excellent in the lead up to Terra.

#22 ·
An interesting tidbit, by McNeill. However, it only increases the intruige as to which Legion it will cover.

I'm not too sure how this can possibly relate to the sons of Perturabo, or even Guilliman, for that matter. The former, the Iron Warriors, in terms of society and culture are very Hellenic, where as the Ultramarines resemble a more Byanzantine people; in terms of labelling a Historical period to a Legion which shares aspects.

Either way, the promise of a new arc of stories (Hopefully on the Iron Warriors) culminating in the Cleansing of Olympia and Perturabo's succumbing to jealousy and hatred of Dorn should be excellent in the lead up to Terra.
Through my hopes of it being an Iron Warriors novel, I'd like to think that perhaps the Tyrant of Lochos was worshiping gods and even brought himself to be a god. This possibly creating the later rebellion and heresy within his planet. lol.... I wish.

McNeill's upcoming short story in Age of Darkness will start a new story arc in the Heresy, but thats likely the Iron Warriors. So I don't think research into dreaming is prudent for the Sons of Perturabo.
To be honest, I don't really think McNeill likes the Iron Warriors. I think his story might honestly be about the Ultramarines. The reason why I don't think he likes the Iron Warriors is because he honestly made the legion look redicolous during their encounters with Uriel. In my opinion, he chose the coldest legion to be the antagonists in his stories and that was pretty much it.

#3 ·
Dreaming? Religions? Sounds like the Word Bearers to me personally, very doubtful that it is though. I'm not really sure on what this could be about, perhaps another, non Astartes focused novel?

#4 ·
I agree with Dark Angel. It doesn't sound like a Space Marine focused novel, im guessing something to do with psykers.

#5 ·
Didn't Sanguinus have fortellings of death, and didn't that become a Blood Angels 'defect' after his death?

#9 ·
It depends on Calth, I think. There are four possible authors (Kyme and McNeill for Ultramarines; Reynolds and ADB for Word Bearers.) in my eyes, though the pairing which LotN mentioned will probably write it. The reason I don't think it is the Word Bearers, is due to the release of The First Heretic being soon. I imagine that we will see Signus and another novel before then, but I don't think this is actually the start of the Calth duo. (Which is obvious, in my opinion..)

#10 ·
McNeill's upcoming short story in Age of Darkness will start a new story arc in the Heresy, but thats likely the Iron Warriors. So I don't think research into dreaming is prudent for the Sons of Perturabo.

#12 ·
Drawing heavily from what Vaz founded several months ago, the Dark Angels and the entirity of Caliban's hierachy, society and culture is very similar to 13th century Eastern Europe. ''War against the beasts'' creating the Knightly Orders representative of the Knighty Orders founded in Ukraine, Romania and Poland against the Mongol hordes; so called ''barbarians'' or ''beasts'' (Despite earlier conquests leading to large amounts of Perisan engineer's/scholars and philosphers accompanying the later Mongol expeditions, thus shattering the cliched, stereotypical vision we associated with them)

Back onto topic, then who cares for a little suspense? It's why I don't trawel through blogs, endlessly. I like surprises, and considering my glee concerning the Iron Warriors, this will certainly be one of them.

#17 ·
That... sounds possible. Graham McNeill is the only one whose written the Emperor in more then a few lines, or a single scene. The Last Church was quite good, maybe he is going to delve into Terra's past and the rising of the Emperor. Certainly would be cool.

#20 · (Edited)
I can't see it being about anything pre-GC or even pre-HH. Several authors have mentioned in passing now that the series is pushing on into the Age of Darkness, thus I can only see it being based around something post-Isstvan. Although I've been wrong once before. :p

As someone said it sounds at this point like a non-Astartes based novel.

Although it is worth pointing out that aswell as Sanguinius having prophetic visions/dreams, so did Konrad Curze...

#25 ·
I dont understand why everyone is 'smurf' bashing. i have surfed alot of forums and found a lot of hate for the Sons of Guilliman but let us not forget, that after the Emperor fell the Ultramarines (almost) single handedly held the splintering Imperium together for a time. Not so deserved i feel, but bring on the flaming i will no doubt receive.

#26 ·
Yo Commander Colgate, I think your in the wrong thread, to talk about smurff bashing, go to 40kfluff section. You might want to use the search engine as their are many of these threads

This thread is about the new McNeill Heresy Novel. Many of us don't know whether it will be about Ultramarines or Iron Warriors, as they are the only legions/chapters hes actually written about... post heresy of course. He says its a legion close to his heart, so we are trying to discuss what that means.

#28 ·
Try to be curtious to Lord of Night's and his thread as it is his, try to give your opinion on something more productive, instead of the well known bashing the smurfs. They do get bashed a lot. But that discussion would be more effective in a thread that further goes into it. Don't want to stray away from the main focus, which is.... what is in that book?

#29 ·
Dreaming... Dreams... Old religions of terra... Hmmm...

Nah, it's got me fucked. No idea! Other than a IW or UM based novel (simply based off his previous novels, nothing to do with the above mentioned clues) I have no idea. Very cryptic Mr McNeill!

Maybe it's the emperors first discovery of the imperial webway? I imagine that it would be like walking through a tunnel surrounded by wild dreams and emotions.

#32 ·
He does, but they are only slivers of the possible futures. I believe Konrad Curze has dreams of the worst possible futures and often takes them as what will be. At least thats what I thought the concept of Soul Hunter was about. Talos had all these dreams that he was gonna get wasted by one of his bretheren who was close to khorne. But they never came to be, because he didn't except these unto reality like Konrad Curze did.

#34 ·
An Ultra smurf HH would would be pretty sweet after the shit job that was done on them in the Abyss.....

Iron warriors would be interesting, but all i can imagine is a book about long ass seiges and then Horus popping up and saying "dude join chaos" and off they fuck...

Grim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.