Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
meh, mathhammer always been a waste of time in my opinion, whats the point spending entire days figuring out the odds how unit X will perform against target Y?, seems pointless, when due to the random nature of the game unit Y could wipe X off the board every single game without any negative effect.

seems like your just wasting time when you could just get on with it and have fun instead of dragging the game down into a pile of meaningless numbers.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
seems pointless, when due to the random nature of the game unit Y could wipe X off the board every single game without any negative effect.
If you like to play like that fine, but "due to the random nature of the game" I like to have at least an idea of what my chances are, otherwise I am just moving units around an hoping they do well.

seems like your just wasting time when you could just get on with it and have fun instead of dragging the game down into a pile of meaningless numbers.
Believe it or not some people find numbers fun, meaningless? definitly not, all games and strategy are comprised from essentially two things the maths + theory of the game and the psychology of the game. A good general uses both of these in the correct measures, sometimes you need to psych people but by 40k/WFB's very nature ultimately it comes down to numbers.

The difference is whether you want to min max your chances and understand how the units in the game interact or whether you are happy to go with gut every time - both are just as valid, one is actively working things out the other your brain is doing it all passively, if you are lucky then your brain is good enough at these things that it will calculate for you, but for me I prefer to do some rough estimates of chance to reduce its influence on my game.

As I improve my game I find myself doing more and more subconsciously, however on the really hard decisions I still go back to numbers.

·
Registered
326 Posts
meh, mathhammer always been a waste of time in my opinion, whats the point spending entire days figuring out the odds how unit X will perform against target Y?, seems pointless, when due to the random nature of the game unit Y could wipe X off the board every single game without any negative effect.
To be fair, it doesnt really take days. And probability tells you what the odds of something happening are, its not a method of predicting the future.

Its one of those personal choices isnt it? Some people dont care about the painting side of the hobby. Some dont care about modelling. There are many players who think fluff is irrelevent. And then there are people who think the mathhammer is a waste of time. And for those people it surely is. But some people will invariable find it interesting. Sure, someone could take it too far and program a whole battle via computing and just watch a script run and have it finally spit out a victor. Thats obviously too far. But to some mathhammer isnt a drag on the game, its a method of strategizing.

And the whole point is the numbers arent meaningless :p

tl:dr Mathhammer isnt for everyone, but it is for some

41 - 43 of 43 Posts