Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

As the title says, I was gone from the hobby for the last ten years, only following the BL publications and such. However due to the girlfriend being interested in wargaming and the DV set coming out I decided to try my hand at (re)painting some Dark Angels.

Here is the first squad almost finished.

Noticed the smartphone camera is a bit dodgy so sorry about the quality of the pictures.

Any feedback, tips/tricks are very much appreciated!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I will try to blend them some more, the highlight on the knees was done this wide because I usually find some of the details get lost on the tabletop when you make them too small. Might just experiment a bit more. Would you recommend a glaze or wash?

And an update on 5 of the boys with improved (toned down) highlighting and details finished.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Would you recommend a glaze or wash?
A glaze would work better as it is designed to create an even transparent layer over the surface, so would be best if you have/are happy to make one; however a light wash over the area would be effective enough I would not bother buying a glaze especially if I had a wash already.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are very nice, inspiring for an upcoming project I have in mind.
Thanks for the kind words, will you be starting a DA army as well? (Edit: I think I found it, expanding the DV set into a proper army?)

A glaze would work better as it is designed to create an even transparent layer over the surface, so would be best if you have/are happy to make one; however a light wash over the area would be effective enough I would not bother buying a glaze especially if I had a wash already.
Made do with a wash now and quite pleased with the results :)

And finally made some headway with my first Deathwing termie. I find that getting the bonecolour right is really, really tricky

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, will you be starting a DA army as well? (Edit: I think I found it, expanding the DV set into a proper army?)
You're welcome, good work should always see recognition. But, since the +rep button is gone... I do sincerely hope you consider posting a step by step description of how you accomplished your end result.

Yes, sir. You found my thread and there is work to be done with it still. I'm hoping to have it sorted soon and not see a drastic change when the new DA 'dex issues.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right after dropping off the radar for a while because of moving to a new place, a quick update with a WiP DV sergeant

Jace I'm up for doing a step by step, however I'm currently kinda swamped with unboxing and all that so after the dust has settled I will make one. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A small update:

The finished DV Sergeant:

And a DA veteran kitbash based on a model I saw on another forum WiP:

Hope you enjoy them!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

Made do with a wash now and quite pleased with the results :)

And finally made some headway with my first Deathwing termie. I find that getting the bonecolour right is really, really tricky
Hey. Love the models. Good highlighting and neat. The termie looks good but the paint looks a little thick. Maybe try watering the paint down some more. Some devlan mud or whatever the new named wash equivalent is in the recesses would make it really pop.

Personally for bone I use a base of khermi brown then build on it with dheneb stone and white highlights.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey. Love the models. Good highlighting and neat. The termie looks good but the paint looks a little thick. Maybe try watering the paint down some more. Some devlan mud or whatever the new named wash equivalent is in the recesses would make it really pop.

Personally for bone I use a base of khermi brown then build on it with dheneb stone and white highlights.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks!

Also thank you for the tips. The termie looks so thickly painted because it has about 10 bazillion layers of broken white on it to get past the black undercoat... I'm actually thinking of stripping him and his compatriots and starting over in quite a similar way to what you described.:grin:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thanks!

Also thank you for the tips. The termie looks so thickly painted because it has about 10 bazillion layers of broken white on it to get past the black undercoat... I'm actually thinking of stripping him and his compatriots and starting over in quite a similar way to what you described.:grin:
I always undercoat black even when painting white. I use the foundation paints so that I get a well covered layer as they have more pigment in them. Then just follow the colours I mentioned in my post. It's all trial and error really :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right I keep getting bogged down by all sorts of stuff (work, girlfriend.. you name it..) So my painting is going slow as #[email protected]#.

However to keep the thread going here is another picture of the some DA vets (semi finished):

And some guys ready to get primed:

Will try to speed up the painting now :)

As always any pointers, tips, critiques or even praise are welcome!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And as a quick side note:

Damn the basillica from the Imperial Sector is HUGE!!

Just finished constructing it, now wondering if I'll ever paint it...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
A shot of the first 6 DV marines finished:

And my first attempt at sculpting with greenstuff:

On a second hand DA veteran with combi wep.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks!

A white undercoat works wonders with Deathwing imho. There are a few subtley different ways of going about our beloved first company termies out there, my advice would be find one that suits your, time, skill and most importantly patience level and go with that.

I look forward to more :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A white undercoat works wonders with Deathwing imho. There are a few subtley different ways of going about our beloved first company termies out there, my advice would be find one that suits your, time, skill and most importantly patience level and go with that.

I look forward to more :)
Thanks for the tips, I have already researched a few options, and tried out one using the zenithal highlightning technique used by the artist who runs the fromthewarp blog. Only problem now is I need to strip my mini's and restart from scratch because I'm losing details if I put any more paint on them.

But expect more to come soon! I struck some gold in a secondhand sale and still have this to paint:

3 Land Raiders (1 crusader/2 regular)
3 Land speeders
2 Razorbacks
1 Predator
15 Tactical marines
8 Devastators
7 Veterans
10 DW termies (after they've been stripped)

Excluding 5 tacticals and 5 termies (from the DV set) I bought this lot for a grand total of... 50 euros.:grin:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Right after moving, switching jobs and all sort of non important malarkey another quick update! The DV tac squad is finally finished!

In the background my first CoD building based and almost finished but I don't seem to be able to photograph it right without looking rubbish.:ireful2:

Almost forgot to post pictures of my paint stripping experiment!

Result of the first test run:

Poor marine didn't know what hit 'm.

Second run went a lot better and now my butchered DV Termies are good as new!:so_happy:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After 20 green blokes, time for something different!

Black!

I'm still doubting some details, like the ravenwing logo on the helmet and some other parts but he is coming along quite nicely.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
And here we are again!

This time an update on one of the veterans, still WIP, trying some more work with inks and glazes on this one.

And the finalised ravenwing biker:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts