Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
As far as I know, the specific roles of the titles are not actually listed. In the 5th Edition space marine codex, it says which captains are which master of.. person. Though I think the titles themselves leave little to the imagination.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but I believe Master of the Watch keeps tract of the reconnissance of the Chapter. For Fleet-based this would mean he supervises the scanner-teams and keeps a general eye on whats exactly going on -- though this might be within the realm of authority of the Master of the Fleet.

For planet-based chapters, he would probably be the one who keeps eye on the orbital recon satelliates and the native populace and general happenings of the world.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Or it could be 'Watch' as in 'Guards'.
So the Master of the Watch is the guy in charge of supervising the security and defence of the fortress-monastery. Which is a position I can see 2nd company captain having if 1st is 2-ic (ie admin until CO is out of action for whatever reason) and third is armourer.

The rest are indeed, fairly self-explanatory. Although 'Marches' may mean perimeter security, or it may mean supervising the admin of what units are on deployment, or maybe even recon - as the Scout Captain appears to be in charge of the recruitment process, not actual scout deployment.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I too believe that the Master of the Watch keeps watch over the Fortress-Monstary but that he also is responsible for guarding their recruiting worlds. Take Gabriel of the Blood Ravens. He was their Master of the Watch and through out the DoW series, he's been involved in the matters of the BR recruiting worlds.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Lord Sven, most of the titles are easy enough. Master of Recruits, Master of the Fleet, even Master of the Arsenal seems straightforward.

I wonder if the definition of 'the Watch' is even different from chapter to chapter. Gabriel Angelos is 3rd Company, but Sicarius is Master of the Watch from the Ultramarines 2nd.

And Chief Victualler seems a bit whimsical. Yes, the servitors and serfs have to eat, but having an Astartes captain concerned with food and supplies?

·
Registered
49 Posts
And Chief Victualler seems a bit whimsical. Yes, the servitors and serfs have to eat, but having an Astartes captain concerned with food and supplies?
"The amateurs discuss tactics: the professionals discuss logistics."

Never underestimate the importance of logistics and provisioning to an army

An army marches on its stomach, even a superhuman one that eats it's enemy's brains...

I'd imagine 'chief victualler' would have a wider logistics remit to do with ensuring that marine detachments leave the home world provided with suitable equipment and consumable supplies and also with securing suitable sources of said supplies.

Or maybe he's just the chef in charge of the victory feasts ;) Kinda Gordon Ramsey turned up to 11...

Nick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts