Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the title says most of it all. It's an upcoming double audio, much like The Dark King/The Lightning Tower and Thief of Revelation/Hunter's Moon. Thoughts on it?

Attachments

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Hate audios, but sounds like it could have some good fluff in there. So, thoughts on who we're looking at there? That's never Curze, and going from that, and the scale, i'd day that isn't the Lion. So Corswain perhaps? Or even Luther somehow? They're the only two who could arguably given the title 'Master of the First' seeing as they are both in control of large elements of the Legion. Still, it sounds like a title for the Lion more than anyone.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Hate audios, but sounds like it could have some good fluff in there. So, thoughts on who we're looking at there? That's never Curze, and going from that, and the scale, i'd day that isn't the Lion. So Corswain perhaps? Or even Luther somehow? They're the only two who could arguably given the title 'Master of the First' seeing as they are both in control of large elements of the Legion. Still, it sounds like a title for the Lion more than anyone.
It's probably just a generic DA and NL. There's only one Master of the First.

Then again, just looking at the dagger the NL is holding makes me speculate wildly that it could be one of the splinters of the Athame, so it could be a named NL trying to stick it in the Lion. It just seems too stylised and central to the image for it not to have some significance.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think The Long Night is about Sev being incarcerated onboard the Invicible Reason and talking to a dead warp ghost girl. I also want to think Master of the First is about Luther and the Fallen, but I could be wrong so dont quote me on that one.

Edit: From Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Master-First-Night-Horus-Heresy/dp/1849708630

The Dark Angels and the Night Lords fought one another to a bloody stalemate during the Thramas Crusade and, though the Lion eventually claimed victory, it left both Legions scattered and under-strength. Back on Caliban, those Dark Angels loyal to Luther begin to grow impatient for a return to past glories, allowing the corruption at the world's heart to spread. Meanwhile Jago Sevatarion, First Captain of the Night Lords, languishes in a gaol cell in the heart of Ultramar. Far from a spent force, both Legions must consider where their own personal loyalties lie, and what path they will take in the days and months to come.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
How odd.

“We are one of the last loyal Legions left at full strength in the Imperium, ...”

Excerpt From: Christian Dunn. “Age of Darkness.” iBooks.
That's Lion El'Jonson speaking, circa "Savage Weapons". What he says makes sense, given the fact that the Night Haunter and the Night Lords weren't so much fighting the Dark Angels over the past 26 months as they were drawing them into a interstellar game of Whack-A-Mole.

A scant time later, the Dark Angels use Tuchulcha to ambush the Night Lords. They destroy roughly thirty percent of their enemies, who in turn scatter to the four corners of the galaxy.

I want to re-emphasize this. It took practically everything going the Dark Angels' way for them to destroy a third of a Legion. Given this, I sincerely hope that the person responsible for the intro descriptions is taking massive liberties. Why? Because the idea that the Dark Angels are somehow all of a sudden understrength completely contradicts the events described in The Lion and the decisions El'Jonson made in that story and in subsequent events. That is, if he's not operating with a roughly full-strength legion, his already bizarre call to let Typhon and a Death Guard fleet go free becomes ridiculous. His notion that he'll be a force to be reckoned with precisely because of the intact state of his legion makes no sense.

Again, I hope I'm overreacting and this is nothing more than a poorly-written blurb. If that's not the case, though, it's going to be rather frustrating going from this point on. Gav Thorpe's been apparently given the helm since The Lion (he also wrote "By the Lion's Hand", in the Imperial Truth anthology), so it's not like it can even be said that different authors went in different directions!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How odd.

That's Lion El'Jonson speaking, circa "Savage Weapons". What he says makes sense, given the fact that the Night Haunter and the Night Lords weren't so much fighting the Dark Angels over the past 26 months as they were drawing them into a interstellar game of Whack-A-Mole.

A scant time later, the Dark Angels use Tuchulcha to ambush the Night Lords. They destroy roughly thirty percent of their enemies, who in turn scatter to the four corners of the galaxy.

I want to re-emphasize this. It took practically everything going the Dark Angels' way for them to destroy a third of a Legion. Given this, I sincerely hope that the person responsible for the intro descriptions is taking massive liberties. Why? Because the idea that the Dark Angels are somehow all of a sudden understrength completely contradicts the events described in The Lion and the decisions El'Jonson made in that story and in subsequent events. That is, if he's not operating with a roughly full-strength legion, his already bizarre call to let Typhon and a Death Guard fleet go free becomes ridiculous. His notion that he'll be a force to be reckoned with precisely because of the intact state of his legion makes no sense.

Again, I hope I'm overreacting and this is nothing more than a poorly-written blurb. If that's not the case, though, it's going to be rather frustrating going from this point on. Gav Thorpe's been apparently given the helm since The Lion (he also wrote "By the Lion's Hand", in the Imperial Truth anthology), so it's not like it can even be said that different authors went in different directions!
Could also mean that they have the men, but are without weapons and materials to still conduct the war. Or slightly prior to Prince of Crows, that they took a heavier blow as well when they destroyed 30% of the Night Lords forces.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
Sorry, forkmaster, but it's very hard to reconcile your first idea with "full strength".

Where the second idea is concerned... it's never mentioned. And if such a blow was somehow struck, it just robs the impact of the whole Tuchulcha angle.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, forkmaster, but it's very hard to reconcile your first idea with "full strength".

Where the second idea is concerned... it's never mentioned. And if such a blow was somehow struck, it just robs the impact of the whole Tuchulcha angle.
Just wild speculation then on my behalf regarding that. Hopefully it's bad choice of words for the synopsis and nothing that will come up in the actual audio. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Aarrrrgggh who the bloody hell let Gav Thorpe loose on the Dark Angels again? wasn't his first abomination enough to put people off reading him for life? was for me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Actually Thorpe's DA was quite good, and his 'Lion' novella was ok. But the follow up and his second W40K DA book are meh

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I dunno, I don't think I'll ever be forgiving him for killing Nemeil off like he did. Not because I really like Nemeil or anything, just because it was an appaling decision and just plain retarded.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
It's not a Night Lord, it's a Word Bearer, I think - Red Shoulder Pad. The other option for Red Armour is Blood Angel, Thousand Son, or at a push, one of the Vlka Fenryka brotherhoods.

In regards to the "full strength" legion, they were split up, with Corswain taking on Typhon of the Death Guard while the Lion came to Ultramar - as I understood it, on the orders of the Lion himself. With Sevatar in prison on Ultramar (someone completely forgotten about during TUE), it makes sense it's after, but still...

yeh, that's bad writing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
It's not a Night Lord, it's a Word Bearer, I think - Red Shoulder Pad. The other option for Red Armour is Blood Angel, Thousand Son, or at a push, one of the Vlka Fenryka brotherhoods.
You mean in the picture? No, it's definitely a Night Lord. He has dark blue armour with red on his shoulder pad (eg. like these models).

I've just listened to Master of the First - not bad, not great either though. If anyone wants to know the plot:

Also, just an FYI - there doesn't seem to be any direct link between Master of the First and Long Night.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
You mean in the picture? No, it's definitely a Night Lord. He has dark blue armour with red on his shoulder pad (eg. like these models).

I've just listened to Master of the First - not bad, not great either though. If anyone wants to know the plot:

Also, just an FYI - there doesn't seem to be any direct link between Master of the First and Long Night.
Any chance of the spoilers for the Long Night mate?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Actually Thorpe's DA was quite good, and his 'Lion' novella was ok. But the follow up and his second W40K DA book are meh
:shok: A two year old with a crayon and the back of a mcdonalds colouring poster could have done a better job. It was, without any contest, the worst thing anyone has written. ever. Forget the storyline, in fact, I have. All I have is the trauma of the worst writing style imaginable. I can still feel the pain in my skull as my brain tried to process what was in front of it. It should be taught in university as an example of what is achievable if you face mash a keyboard long enough and have a tame publisher.

Reading Gav Thorpe is like listening to George Bush Jnr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

1 - 20 of 32 Posts