Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I posted this on the Daemons thread too, but I figured it belonged here as well.)

My roommate decided that, since we both have two fairly sizable armies, he wants to play one massive game where we both use both of them. I'm using my Daemons and Chaos Marines, while he's using his Eldar and Tyranids. (We decided to skip the part where we try to explain why the Eldar and the Tyranids would team up against Chaos.) It's going to be a 6000 point game, each army using it's own FOC but the points don't need to be evenly split between the two armies as long as they fit the chart. This is going to be a straight up kill-the-other-guy game--he really doesn't want to try to hold objectives against Plaguebearers and Plague Marines, lol.

Here's what I was thinking about going with. I believe it came to 2975 Daemons and 3025 Chaos Marines.

I know some of the units I've taken aren't that fantastic, but keep in mind a lot of those choices were made simply because I have the models, and with a game this big I'll be putting almost everything I own on the table, so keep that in mind.

DAEMONS

HQ:
-Bloodthirster (Unholy Might, Death Strike, Blessing of the Blood God)
-Great Unclean One (Aura of Decay, Breath of Chaos, Cloud of Flies, Unholy Might)

Elites:
-Flamers x6
-Flamers x6
-Fiends x6

Troops:
-Pink Horrors x 20 (Icon, Bolt of Tzeentch, Changeling)
-Bloodletters x 20 (Icon, Fury of Khorne)
-Plaguebeaers x 20 (Icon, Noxious Touch)
-Daemonettes x 20 (Icon)

Heavy Support:
-Soul Grinder (Tongue, Phlegm)
-Daemon Prince (Daemonic Flight, Unholy Might, Iron Hide, Breath of Chaos, Mark of Nurgle, Cloud of Flies, Noxious Touch, Aura of Decay)

CHAOS MARINES

HQ:
-Daemon Prince (Wings, Mark of Slaanesh, Lash of Submission)
-Daemon Prince (Wings, Mark of Slaanesh, Lash of Submission)

Elites:
-Terminators x 5 (Chainfists x5, Combi-flamers x4, Heavy Flamer, Icon of Nurgle) [God I wish I owned a Land Raider]
-Chosen x 5 (Missile Launcher, Combi-meltas x4, Icon of Tzeentch)
-Possessed x 20 (Icon of Khorne, Rhino [Daemonic Possession, Havoc Launcher]) [Possessed would not be deployed inside the rhino obviously, it's basically just there to have another vehicle on the table]

Troops:
-Noise Marines x 10 (Sonic Blasters x9, Blastmaster, Champion, Doom Siren, Personal Icon, Rhino [Daemonic Possession, Havoc Launcher])
-Plague Marines x 10 (Icon, Meltagun x1, Flamer x1, Rhino [Daemonic Possession, Havoc Launcher])
-Plague Marines x 10 (Icon, Meltagun x1, Flamer x1, Rhino [Daemonic Possession, Havoc Launcher])

Heavy Support:
-Obliterators x 3
-Defiler (Close Combat Weapons x2)
-Defiler (Close Combat Weapons x2)

I'm not sure if this ever becomes a debate, but we've ruled that Icons work the same for both armies, so Daemons can come in without scattering around Chaos Marine Icons, etc. To this end, I was planning to Infiltrate the tiny unit of Chosen as far up as I could hidden inside a building of some kind, then have my shooty or slow Daemons show up around it, while the others appear behind the Marine troops, using a wall of foot-slogging Possessed as cover. The Possessed are pretty much just there to draw fire, as he always assumes that they're as scary as they used to be--and if he doesn't shoot them down then, hey, they're still Khorne Possessed, they'll still do some damage.

So, what do you guys think? Keep in mind, this is MOST of what I own. I think the only things I have that aren't on the table in these lists is 20 Pink Horrors, 6 broken-to-pieces Screamers, 10 Bloodletters and one more Bloodthirster.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Okay I dont play daemons but the list is looking pretty standard from that point of view. I can help with your CSM list however..

I would try to get more scoring units assuming you are allowed the full amount for both sides of your list. Take 4 units of 7 plague marines instead of 3 units of 10. Give them either all flamers or all meltas not one of each and then you can deploy them as would befit their wargear. I would also take two smaller units of noise marines.

Your terminators dont really need chainfists. Powerfists should be fine for hunting monstrous creatures as the extra armour pen is pointless.

If you are restricted by the models you own I dont know what else to suggest but if you have anything... anything at all to replace the horrid possessed do so. They just arent worth the points..

·
Registered
941 Posts
how do you get all those models??? :dunno: Are you freak'n rich or somethin? I have to scrounge up enough for a defiler!:biggrin::laugh:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Lash on princes suck. They'll just have a big target and get gunned down. Put lash on sorcerers and hide them in rhinos or inside a squad.

Terminators are fine, but honestly you don't really want a land raider lol. Just get icons on all troops and deep strike them in.

Chosen are ballsed up. Long range missile launcher but short range combi meltas - how they going to get into range without a rhino and if they do move they cannot shoot the missile launcher. Get 5 meltas and throw them in a rhino.

Don't mix weaps on the plague marines. Flamers cannot damage vehicles and meltas don't do a lot to hordes. Make sure you take the same special so you've got more damage output.

Defilers aren't that good. They're not that good in combat and don't hit that much either. I'd get more obliterators for the win.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really wanted to try out Possessed as a distraction since he's so used to the old version and thus deathly afraid of them, but I suppose I could try to replace them with another unit of Horrors. I see your point on the fists though, he's using Eldar and Tyranids, it's not like I need to punch Land Raiders. This list uses every Marine model I own, though, and even then I'll have to throw in some incomplete ones to pull this off. Although, I do have 30 Space Wolves I've been trying to sell/trade off, maybe I could use those as something...

I'm far from rich, lol. I just got lucky with a lot of good deals from friends selling their armies. The models may not be pretty, but they work.

The combi meltas are mostly on the Chosen as a "just in case" thing, which is why I went with combi instead of just plain meltaguns. The main plan with them is to infiltrate them in so my Daemons can use their icon, with the missile launcher to give them something to do while they're hiding in a building. Although I'm wondering if combi-flamers might be better for them, as gaunts are a lot more likely to come up to where they're hiding, or if I should just not bother with that part to try and shave points for another Horrors unit.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Take all the same specials on the chosen and not at all. What you said isn't going to work at all. Firstly you cannot move and shoot so the missile launcher is wasted moving into that building. Then you have combi meltas for wrecking vehicles but not firing at vehicles, so waste of time.

I would take all flamers, plasma or melta not a mix and then outflank.

·
Registered
941 Posts
if your going to mix, mix flamers and plasmas, but like mercer, I think it's best not to!:biggrin:

·
Registered
941 Posts
ooops, I ment meltas, what was I thinking!?:blush:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts