Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be taking this army to tournaments, so any suggestions with proper explanation would be appreciated.

HQ:
Librarian
Powers:
Avenger
Null Zone

Elites:
Sternguard#5
2x Plasmaguns
3x Combi-Plasma
Rhino

Troops:
Tacticals#10
Combi-Melta
Melta
Missile Launcher
Rhino

Tacticals#10
Combi-Melta
Melta
Missile Launcher
Rhino

Scouts#5
Combi-Melta
Missile Launcher

Scouts#5
Combi-Melta
Missile Launcher

Fast Attack:
Typhoon#3
Tyhpoon#2
Typhoon#3

Heavy Support:
Vindicator

Predator
Auto-cannon
Las Sponsons

Predator
Auto-cannon
Las Sponsons

Comment away

·
Registered
344 Posts
First of all the typhoons are armed with Typhoon missile launchers right?

Only suggestion would be to make some of those typhoons MM/HF, I think you will have trouble cracking you opponents AV 13-14 in the backfield. Lascannons are pretty good but not as reliable as melta.

I think the list is really good and definitely a tournament contender, however you have a couple of units that really stand out target priority wise. The stern guard rhino isn't gonna last making them a really expensive dud as i doubt they will ever get to hit their intended target. You could say this would be good thing cause then they are taking the heat off your tac marines but I think they're a little too expensive for that.

Also I think because your transport spam consists of 3 rhinos, only 1 of which needs to be dealt with quickly, your land speeders should quickly become the target of the fire normally reserved for transports right off the bat. While cover can help you we both Speeders aren't the most survivable and they provide a lot of your firepower.

I think you could make your opponents target priority harder by increasing your light vehicles, possibly getting razorbacks or spreading some of those points around into Dreadnoughts which would provide good anti tank and not be quite so fragile.

If you run into an army which has long range light anti tank and lots of it (a.k.a a good list) they will be able to deal with those speeders early. They can kill your anti transport fire early which really hurts you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First of all the typhoons are armed with Typhoon missile launchers right?
-Yes

Only suggestion would be to make some of those typhoons MM/HF, I think you will have trouble cracking you opponents AV 13-14 in the backfield. Lascannons are pretty good but not as reliable as melta.
-The goal is to suppress armor value 14, I usually crack AV 13 just fine with the amount of strength 8 I field. I usually just shoot them in the side armor though.

I think the list is really good and definitely a tournament contender, however you have a couple of units that really stand out target priority wise. The stern guard rhino isn't gonna last making them a really expensive dud as i doubt they will ever get to hit their intended target. You could say this would be good thing cause then they are taking the heat off your tac marines but I think they're a little too expensive for that.
-True, they are really just there to answer any terminators getting frisky with me.

Also I think because your transport spam consists of 3 rhinos, only 1 of which needs to be dealt with quickly, your land speeders should quickly become the target of the fire normally reserved for transports right off the bat. While cover can help you we both Speeders aren't the most survivable and they provide a lot of your firepower.
-Hence why I do not use the MM/HF speeders. AV 10 just doesn't last. The rest of the army is built to support and drag attention away from the speeders.

I think you could make your opponents target priority harder by increasing your light vehicles, possibly getting razorbacks or spreading some of those points around into Dreadnoughts which would provide good anti tank and not be quite so fragile.
-Hmm, I'll try this out and see how it goes. My only problem with this strategy is how easy it is to pop the transports and then the speeders. I like the AV 13 because it's reliable constant cover and not many lists bring enough dakka to get past my covers saves. But, I totally understand what you're saying and will try a variant.

If you run into an army which has long range light anti tank and lots of it (a.k.a a good list) they will be able to deal with those speeders early. They can kill your anti transport fire early which really hurts you.
Very true, however the only long range anti-tank I fear is auto cannons and then it's down to my own target priority.

I was aware of most of these problems already Drizzt, but I hadn't thought of the light armor spam solution. Thank you for the rundown of the list:biggrin:.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just to ask a question have you ever seen one of Stelek's "Best of" lists? There similar to this one but with some subtle changes. This is It.
1 Space Marine Librarian @ 100 pts (Power Armour; Null Zone; Vortex of Doom)

1 Dreadnought @ 125 pts (Twin Linked Autocannon x2)

4 Tactical Squad @ 175 pts (Bolter x4)
1 Sergeant (Combi-Flamer)
1 Razorback (Lascannon and TL Plasmagun)

5 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers [WH] @ 120 pts (Meltagun x2)
1 Rhino [WH] (Storm Bolter)

5 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers [WH] @ 120 pts (Meltagun x2)
1 Rhino [WH] (Storm Bolter)

2 Land Speeder Squadron @ 180 pts (Heavy Bolter x2; Typhoon Missile Launcher x2)

2 Land Speeder Squadron @ 180 pts (Heavy Bolter x2; Typhoon Missile Launcher x2)

2 Land Speeder Squadron @ 140 pts (Multi-Melta x2; Heavy Flamer x2)

1 Predator @ 85 pts (Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Autocannon; Heavy Bolter (each side))

1 Predator @ 85 pts (Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Autocannon; Heavy Bolter (each side))

Now don't get me wrong I think your list is very good but saying just roll with it isn't very constructive. This list is based on the principal of massing as many different mid strength shots that can fire at different targets as possible. In addition it keeps almost all of the units within the same cost range 180-120 so no one unit is a lynchpin or obvious in terms of target priority. While it lacks an easy way to deal with uber units it can feed them small bits and take advantage of the fact that you have to hit tanks on 6's in CC.

A list of this sort is the kind I think would give you trouble, it has a metric ton of long range light anti tank. also it can castle up, with the rhinos with smokes popped in front of a pred with a dread standing behind the pred. It uses typhoons but it dosen't rely on them as a lynchpin and so there lack of survivability is not so critical an issue.

If your worried about cover try the good old pred/dread combo, the dread can stand behind it and gain cover.

[/quote]
-The goal is to suppress armor value 14, I usually crack AV 13 just fine with the amount of strength 8 I field. I usually just shoot them in the side armor though.
[/quote]
I don't doubt that you can kill av 13 just that you can do it efficiently while you also kill transports. I twill take a lot of missile launchers to torrent their way through av 13 and the vehicle damage chart, anyway you need some sort of melta for land raiders as you don't have a lot of sacrificial units.

Anyways apologies for any craziness in this post it's 2am and I'm a little feverish

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ooh Riflemen dreads!:) Yes, I actually read YTTH sometimes. Stelek and and a veteran player/friend of mine are the two reasons I was able to build this list.

I actually have all the models needed to build this list so the transition would be easy. I dislike the riflemen (love the look though) since AV 13/14 basically ignore it. Everything in my own list is built to handle all armor values and put a dent in a horde.

How does the list you suggested deal with rock armies? Or raider armies? I mean it'll put the fear of God into alot of armies especially non-imperials, but I could see it struggling against more extreme lists.

I would probably put my speeders into reserve against an army like this (if I'm going second), but that would hurt me as well. I think such a matchup would come down to who goes first. I do like the idea of melta vets in rhinos though.

Oh and I handle most AV 13 by shooting their sides. And I'm impressed you're able to think at 2 a.m.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts