Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From their website:

We're pleased to be working with Topps on a new licensed Mars Attacks tabletop wargame, due for release in 2014! Here's the full story:

Is your tabletop ready to be invaded? The Topps Company and Mantic Games have joined forces to bring MARS ATTACKS to life as a miniature-based tabletop war-game! Combining high quality sculpted figures with fast and fun tactical gameplay, Mantic will deliver an exciting new dimension to the resurgent sci-fi property.

Mantic Games, makers of the popular WARPATH and DREADBALL tabletop games, will make MARS ATTACKS their first license. "MARS ATTACKS is a cult classic series that fans have been falling in love with generation after generation," says Ronnie Renton, Mantic CEO. "Its oddball blend of retro sci-fi visuals, dark humor and over-the-top violence will make for a unique tabletop experience… our team can't wait to bring the Martians to life in ways no one has ever seen before!"

Set against the backdrop of the new and expanding MARS ATTACKS universe, the game will feature all of the fun and thrill of the classic series, plus new characters and factions that will see action in upcoming comic books and toys. It will also tie-in closely with Topps' just-announced all-new trading card series, Mars Attacks: Invasion, releasing in October.

"MARS ATTACKS is a world where giant robots, mutated insects and hordes of Martian soldiers face off against Earth's military and innocent civilians— how could you not want to see a game out of that?" says Topps' Adam Levine. "Mantic has quickly become one of the best in the business, and they're the perfect team to adapt our outrageous visuals into this exciting new form."

Mantic plans an early 2014 release.

For more information on MARS ATTACKS, including regular updates on new products and cards, follow on facebook: www.facebook.com/MarsAttacks.
Mantic Games can be found here.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Of all properties to pick... Mars Attacks? Mars attacks was shit. And I say that as someone who likes cheesy sci-fi movies.

Also 'Mantic, one of the best in the business'? One of the best blatent copy merchants you mean.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of all properties to pick... Mars Attacks? Mars attacks was shit. And I say that as someone who likes cheesy sci-fi movies.

Also 'Mantic, one of the best in the business'? One of the best blatent copy merchants you mean.
In my defense I did say "from their site". That's the kind of thing you get from some of these companies: an artificially puffed up sense of how awesome they are. I just present what they put out verbatim as to provide the most information on releases as possible.

As for Mars Attacks.....it was a dumb B Movie, and it knew that and had fun with it. Though we only ever saw the aliens and people, so I wonder how you expand that into a full game (their talking about insect aliens and such), and even then how you balance it when those ray guns 1 hit kill everything.

Definitely wondering how the rules will work on that.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Oh not saying that you said it Zion. Just pointing out what a joke it is to call them such.

As for the movie.. I know original it was based on a trading card game, which is why Topps are involved. But the game is only a cult classic, as it was almost banned for is over the top violent imagery on the cards that kids were buying.... Other then that it wasn't very good by most accounts.

Soo... a tabletop miniature game, based off a bad trading card game, that most people will think is based on a bad movie?

I can't see this doing very well.

Heck the movie was a flop. It cost $100million to make... its only made $101million back. And thats with a marketing campaign costing $20million.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heck the movie was a flop. It cost $100million to make... its only made $101million back. And thats with a marketing campaign costing $20million.
I wouldn't call that a flop, from the way you say it the movie made $1 Million net.

Actually looking it up, it had a budget of $70 Million. And it made quite a bit of money world wide (IMDB Box Office Info). I'm not going to spend the time converting foriegn currency but it grossed $417,459,375 in the US alone. I'd say it was a success.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
And tbf, a better movie to watch while wasted is hard to find. Possibly Evolution?

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Arguably they are one of the best. Bear with me here:

A little over 3 years ago they were a speck that no one had heard of. They arrived on the scene with hard plastic, affordable fantasy infantry. That's something people had been wanting for a long time. They go on to release a full wargame with around 10 full races, a science fiction game with 3 (and a 1/2 depending on how you want to categorise the enforcers.) races, 3 board games and a new skirmish game.

They're currently sitting on $1.5 million dollars in Kickstarter generated funds and there are still only around a dozen guys working for them full time.

I think counts as a meteoric rise!

And most importantly, like them or not, everyone has heard of them. I think Topps made the right choice here. I think mantic will do justice to the silliness of Mars Attacks.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Arguably they are one of the best. Bear with me here:

A little over 3 years ago they were a speck that no one had heard of. They arrived on the scene with hard plastic, affordable fantasy infantry. That's something people had been wanting for a long time. They go on to release a full wargame with around 10 full races, a science fiction game with 3 (and a 1/2 depending on how you want to categorise the enforcers.) races, 3 board games and a new skirmish game.

They're currently sitting on $1.5 million dollars in Kickstarter generated funds and there are still only around a dozen guys working for them full time.

And most importantly, like them or not, everyone has heard of them. I think Topps made the right choice here. I think mantic will do justice to the silliness of Mars Attacks.
And they have damn good customer service.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
One of the best blatent copy merchants you mean.
Copying who exactly? GW? Afaik most of the artists at Mantic used to work for the design studio over at GW.

I guess owns the rights to elves, dwarfs, orks and undead and anyone who makes anything close to that are blatantly ripping off GW product!

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Just because they have a clever business strategy where they refuse to invest any of their own money and have a USP that is essentially "Hey, we're like GW only a bit crap!" does not make them one of the best in the business.

The Spice Girls were one of the biggest music acts in the world, they were a long way from being Led Zepplin though.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
While I quite enjoyed the movie, I'll stick to "All Quiet on the Martian Front" when it comes out. It's Kickstarter is still going and its rules were done by a couple of the original 40K writers.

http://www.martianfront.com/ If you're interested.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
...and yet, they post here and refuse to advertise here... nice company that. I call them leeches.
ah. Well said.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
I wouldn't call that a flop, from the way you say it the movie made $1 Million net.

Actually looking it up, it had a budget of $70 Million. And it made quite a bit of money world wide (IMDB Box Office Info). I'm not going to spend the time converting foriegn currency but it grossed $417,459,375 in the US alone. I'd say it was a success.
your doing your sums wrong buddy
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marsattacks.htm

it grossed $101 million in total worldwide,which was considered a flop because it cost $80 million to make and $20 million to market,you added the cumlative totals together for the weeks it was released in the US.

cant really understand the the point of taking a licence of a flop movie from 1996, as anchor dan suggests if i want to support a game with martians i would also go with quiet on the martion front or Robotec.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
your doing your sums wrong buddy
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marsattacks.htm

it grossed $101 million in total worldwide,which was considered a flop because it cost $80 million to make and $20 million to market,you added the cumlative totals together for the weeks it was released in the US.

cant really understand the the point of taking a licence of a flop movie from 1996, as anchor dan suggests if i want to support a game with martians i would also go with quiet on the martion front or Robotec.
Fair enough, I was wrong about the totals. Thing is that the movie was inspired by the cards, but not a direct relation. Reading the trivia on IMDB the script was written before the writer had realized the cards had story bits on the back. So the cards became a design element, but not a story one.

That aside it look like this is just a venture by Topps who owns the original cards and concept. So this is more related to the original cards than the movie it seems.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Fair enough, I was wrong about the totals. Thing is that the movie was inspired by the cards, but not a direct relation. Reading the trivia on IMDB the script was written before the writer had realized the cards had story bits on the back. So the cards became a design element, but not a story one.

That aside it look like this is just a venture by Topps who owns the original cards and concept. So this is more related to the original cards than the movie it seems.
Well either way i could think of many different movies both more recent and more sucessful that would make better tabletop games that mars attacks.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts