Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever play Man O' War? I bought it a few months ago at a local shop for like 30 bucks. I'm kind of sheepish about opening it...it seems a waste, since it's been beautifully shrink-wrapped for over a decade now. What are the rules like? Personally, the thought of overseeing a fleet of Nurgle ships sounds like the coolest thing ever (spreading plague the old-fashioned way: by boat).

Too bad that the miniatures and expansions seem to command a small fortune, according to eBay, at least.

·
Registered
372 Posts
A friend of mine had it back in the day and loved it. I was never so keen, but that's more to do with my ambivalence towards naval stuff in general than the game itself. It's good fun, but yeah, you really need more than the basic fleets, and that'll be pricey.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It is really good fun, you will need about three weeks to play a big game though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I heard a while ago that GW is supposedly developing a new Man O' War going along with the whole Mighty Empires thing.

...Of course if there's any truth to it whatsoever, it's probably at least a couple years away (if not longer.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I played in a summer campaign. I enjoyed it but it was enough. At the end of summer I sold everything I had and never looked back.

It has it's place and it really was fun but it was limited. It lacked the experience system that makes some of the other splinter games so much fun and it really lacks variety.

We tinkered with making Man-O-War games a prelude to Fantasy battles but it really didn't add any value.

GW is in a better place now. With so many awsome minis and such great rules I believe time is too valuable of a commodity to go backwards.

Of course games are about having fun. If you like ships and want the experience, bust it open and have a go.

Dark elves are the most fun with Dwarves being a close second. The Black Arc is a great model and lives up to it's reputation in the game.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Sorry, I have nothing to add to this thread really, I was just having a laugh at the memory of "Manowar", one of the loudest and most proposterous bands ever to walk the face of the Earth.

Please let us know how you get on with your Man O'War games, I really would like to know, because I think all GW's little 'side projects' are quite interesting really.

Jeez, Manowar... LOL!

:staring at the womble-wellied freaks cyclops:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another good idea gone bad

I bought this back in the day, my boys and I struggled with it, to slow, not enough action from the basic ships supplied. Thought it would be more like the original Battlefleet game, lasted a couple of months and was consigned to the loft. Guess it's still there.:scare:

Giving GW penchant for resurecting old ideas, it's bound to make a come back.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I loved this game, but after moving away from the hobby for a while, sold it all on ebay. Despite getting about £200 for the main set and 2 expansions, I really wish I had kept it.... hopefully it may be re-released, i'd be there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts