Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have no idea where to start with this one..
It's my first major conversion, otherwise I've just done some Terminators to Grey knights and minor weapons conversions.

What i have:
-4 Rhino Chassis
-2 Shadowsword Volcano Cannons (anyone know of bigger cannons around?)
-1 Shadowshord/Stormlord main turret sprue
-1 Vindicator Upgrade sprue
-2 Razorback Upgrade sprues
-Bulk vehicle extra bitz and HEAPS of LC + HB
-4 sheets of 1mm plasticard
-4 sheets of 2mm plasticard
-2 landspeeder Storm Missile launchers (anyone know of bigger missile pods around without getting too expensive?)
-1 Manufactorum sprue

Needs:
-Suggestions

I was thinking of using each individual rhino as built bare as each track hub but i have almost no idea how to construct the actual chassis/everything together without it looking shitty.

i have also never used plasticard before so any tips with that would be appreciated.

Edit: Overall what I'm trying to do is Make a SHV that towers over the top of my existing Stormlords and gives me that anti armour OOMPH that Grey Knights severely lack.

Cheers,
Beaumont

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Got to ask this as I have no idea. Whats a mammoth tank? The only one I can think of is from command and conquor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hmmm, interesting...

I think your best bet would be to make the chassis out of 2mm plasticard. Its not that difficult if you have a specific shape in mind, althogh id advise you keep it relatively simple.

Then, depending on how wide you want this thing to be, take a single track or both tracks off the rhino chassis and stick them on the side of the plasticard. And gaps along the top, just cut off the detailing and stck some plasticard over the top as armour. If you want, you can glue the detailing back on the plasticard after :)

For the Turret, its not that hard to build a 3-layer structure that allows the turret to move freely. Just drill a small hole in the top of the plasticard chassis. then glue a short pole onto the bottom of the turret. NOTE! this should be done before the top of the chassis glued down, sorry. Poke the pole through the hole, and glue another section of plasticard on teh end so you cant pull it back out. This makes an effective and discreet swivle mount. Although, Id advise you to make sure the hole is smooth around the edges. The one on my model is a little jagged, and the swivle sometimes stops working... But then, it is an ork model, so thats only to be expected :)

The only way I can think of doing the turret is to get another Shadowsword turret and have them both side by side on a section of plasticard... But this would make the turret mount very wide. Which may be a good thing, but thats up to you.

For the Missile Pods, I think buying a Whirlwind launcher and cutting it in half (or buying two, if you want to go all the way :)) would make a more imposing missile launcher. The new, 5-shot one obviously, not the 2-shot...

As for the rest, I leave that up to you...as im going out and im late.

However you do it, be sure to post up some pics!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, interesting...

I think your best bet would be to make the chassis out of 2mm plasticard. Its not that difficult if you have a specific shape in mind, althogh id advise you keep it relatively simple.

Then, depending on how wide you want this thing to be, take a single track or both tracks off the rhino chassis and stick them on the side of the plasticard. And gaps along the top, just cut off the detailing and stck some plasticard over the top as armour. If you want, you can glue the detailing back on the plasticard after :)

For the Turret, its not that hard to build a 3-layer structure that allows the turret to move freely. Just drill a small hole in the top of the plasticard chassis. then glue a short pole onto the bottom of the turret. NOTE! this should be done before the top of the chassis glued down, sorry. Poke the pole through the hole, and glue another section of plasticard on teh end so you cant pull it back out. This makes an effective and discreet swivle mount. Although, Id advise you to make sure the hole is smooth around the edges. The one on my model is a little jagged, and the swivle sometimes stops working... But then, it is an ork model, so thats only to be expected :)

The only way I can think of doing the turret is to get another Shadowsword turret and have them both side by side on a section of plasticard... But this would make the turret mount very wide. Which may be a good thing, but thats up to you.

For the Missile Pods, I think buying a Whirlwind launcher and cutting it in half (or buying two, if you want to go all the way :)) would make a more imposing missile launcher. The new, 5-shot one obviously, not the 2-shot...

As for the rest, I leave that up to you...as im going out and im late.

However you do it, be sure to post up some pics!
I'm actually going to use the rhinos AS the Hubs, I've just come across a whole lot of spare, large, flat pieces that can make up hull and am waiting on the rest of my parts before i begin construction, but once i do i plan on frequently updated pictures.

As for the turret i think I'll cut it down the middle and make it just a little bit wider, maybe a bit longer too.

Not sure if i should make it just the two Volcano Cannons and the Missile launchers or go with every other Super Heavy and put weapons everywhere, for the prior option it sticks to the fluff a lot more and wouldn't clutter the model, yet it lacks the firepower to make it effective in 40k in its points range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts