Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My order has finally arrived.

Rules for the Mammoth Tank so far are located in the link below and are very much subject to change.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68020

All except one crucial Rhino Chassis -.-

However construction will proceed on the front and top of the vehicle including the turret.

Here is all the parts i have to construct it with.

1 x Shadowsword Turret Sprue (for the turret)
1 x Inner Valkyrie Sprue (for the interior)

4 x Rhino Sprue (track hubs)

manufactorum sprue and a whole lot of other randoms to use as spares and random bitz to fill gaps and add asthetics.

First off is removing the track wheels, i tried to do it neatly in case i want to use them down the track. No pun intended.

Next i attached the hub quarters together, just to minimise the amount of parts i was working with.

This carpet is going to be a bitch to vacuum.

Unfortunately the camera wasn't working for this photo, but its of me deciding between the sentinel missile pods and my homemade (2 x HK Missiles + Razorback weapon cover) I decided to go with the latter just because it shows 4 missiles overall and it looks a whole lot more beardy.

Shaved off the exhausts. Just didn't think they fit the overall design.

Plasticard to cover the back entrance, only because i plan to use the doors to have a hatch on top at the rear of the turret to expose the ammunition loading bay.

Measuring up a new bottom plate, as i used the existing bottom plate as the top.

Bottom plate put into place, remember nothing is glued yet, i left all that till the very end.

Missile Pods top.

Missile Pods bottom.

All glued and done.

And the both of them done minus the tracks. Two more to be done when the other one arrives -.-

Will get around to the tracks tomorrow probably, looking at doing a four wide section from the rhino tracks, so far looks alright.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fix'd the pics, cheers Ste.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
man oh man, you've got your work cut out for you there man LOL can't wait to see more! Thanks for fixing the links!
Oh man, I know. Unfortunately i'm on army exercise in a weeks time for a while, then i've got a cruise so it looks like I'll only get a chance to really dig into this around about mid october :(

I hope to at least get the missing part ordered in before i leave however, and and the two front tracks.

You got any tips for mounting the turret on a swivel instead of a fixed position?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, i hate sticking tanks together, so rather you than me. looks good so far, looking forward to seeing the end result.
I think the wost part about tanks is the tracks, they just never work for me :/

which is why im mounting mine for this project on bits of sprue :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok got one set of tracks done.

Pain In The Ass.

Added a piece of plasticard to the front to help hold the tracks in place.

Also added one half of the top hatch to extend the front armour downwards over the upwards facing track. I really just didn't like the way the front looked.

Tracks Upper

Tracks Lower

Rails on the bottom

All put together

And below (will extend further when more parts arrive. doing this another three times is going to be a pain in my ass.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well this is a really cool idea so +rep to keep you going while away. Keep it up man!
Thanks for the rep, I'm really quite surprised how well the tracks turned out, i didn't think just mounting them side by side would look half decent but I think i pulled it off O.K.

I can't wait to get back and hopefully have my missing rhino arrive.

Thats when I'll be able to actually measure up and construct the frame and turret.

Cheers,
Chris.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
This does look like a promising start to an interesting project. I'm kind of surprised you didn't go for two sets of baneblade tracks instead of the four rhino tracks. Either way this could be a really epic build if done right.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This does look like a promising start to an interesting project. I'm kind of surprised you didn't go for two sets of baneblade tracks instead of the four rhino tracks. Either way this could be a really epic build if done right.
unfortunately two sets of BB tracks are slightly too wide for the rhino, and two sets of LR tracks are too small, 3 being way too wide.

Just so happens you get a near perfect amount of pieces too with the rhino sprues.

I'm gonna take it real slow and put as much attention into every part as i can so as not to ruin the model of a triviality.

After the tracks are completed I'll end up getting a whole lot of user input as to how i should construct the frame, base and turret. I'll make a few concept models with blutac as supports and maybe host a poll.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Size comparison between the mammoth tank so far and a Stormlord I'm converting.

Rear atomic engine bay so far.used a razorback top and two Stormlord engine tops. Gonna surround it in grills and cords and stuff later, will also reverse the inlet on the left side so they both face the atomic core.

Middle crew compartment so far. added the bolter and consoles from the razorback sprue to cover up blank portions of the valkyrie rear.

Rear view of the crew area, should get working on a cockpit to fit in the empty area.

Angular shot of the crew cab

Final pic of the series till i get back.

assembled the other shadowsword cannons, cut the turret up to extend it both sideways and rear.

Cheers guys, will probably get around to this again early october, or if the part im after has arrived before my 5 day break at the end of september ill get to it then.

Thanks for all your input and support.

Chris.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I suppose it's a bit late for this idea... but if I was going to make a tank... I would start with the Halo Scorpion Tank (made by lego) and add 40k vehicle bits. I think your plan is quite a bit more ambitious and 200% more sportsmanlike than mine would be. I think your tank has great potential as long as you are careful and precise with the exterior armor plating.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just found out that this next week is not the field phase, meaning i will be at home for nights and may even get a chance to assemble the last rhino and the frame.

I suppose it's a bit late for this idea... but if I was going to make a tank... I would start with the Halo Scorpion Tank (made by lego) and add 40k vehicle bits. I think your plan is quite a bit more ambitious and 200% more sportsmanlike than mine would be. I think your tank has great potential as long as you are careful and precise with the exterior armor plating.
I intend to create a frame out of sprue to give me an initial shape and play around with cereal box card till i get a shape i find appropriate.

Nothing will be glued together or cut until i am 100% satisfied, and so are you guys, with the final product.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
This looks very impresive. One piece of advice. It might sound strange but some sort of suspension on this thing would really help. The problem with super heavies in game is that when they hit terrain with no articulation they sit up on an odd angle and look weird. With a tank this size it will be very noticable. Most repworthy also.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This looks very impresive. One piece of advice. It might sound strange but some sort of suspension on this thing would really help. The problem with super heavies in game is that when they hit terrain with no articulation they sit up on an odd angle and look weird. With a tank this size it will be very noticable. Most repworthy also.

I have also noticed this quite often and have thought of each track hub being joined to the body by a cylindrical device of some sort, allowing them to rotate on that axis.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.