Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the whole series, got the first omnibus and the last 2 books stand alone.

I wondered, is his soul given back to him by Tz'arkan?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
It's been so long I actually forgot what happened in the end now lol although I'd love it if they did more like they said they would.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
No, he doesn't but goes on a quest to find Tz'arkan and get back his soul. I am really, really struggling to get through the first Omnibus. I've got to the bit where he's fought the army of Wights, and I don't think lots of it makes sense. Like he's just put in lots of extra words to rack up the page count. Grrr, I hate it when they do that.

Midnight

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the series, everything malus does come back to smash him in the face with a vengance!

Keep with it matey! the 4th book is my favourite by far! cracking story!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes and no, he gets it back for about 5 minutes untill Tarkan steals it again when he flees.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I loved the series, but to be honest, the ending ticked me off. For a few months after I finished the last one I kept searching for the next book so I could find out what happened. Once I finally realized that there wasnt another book, I dug the last one out and re-read the last 60 (or so) pages. That's when I got really mad. He did all that, we followed him through all that crap, and they end it like that?! I really want another book (or 3) to finish out the story.
It's like Ciaphus(SP) Cain: Hero of the Imperium. I can only find the omnibus and nothing else after that. I really liked reading those books and I'm left wanting MORE. Maybe I'm behind the times and they stopped printing them? I dont know, but I just cant seem to find anything else besides the omnibus. But what's really odd, is I seem to remember that I used to see (when I was only reading warhammer and not 40k) that there were a bunch of Cain books on the shelves.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
It's like Ciaphus(SP) Cain: Hero of the Imperium. I can only find the omnibus and nothing else after that. I really liked reading those books and I'm left wanting MORE. Maybe I'm behind the times and they stopped printing them? I dont know, but I just cant seem to find anything else besides the omnibus. But what's really odd, is I seem to remember that I used to see (when I was only reading warhammer and not 40k) that there were a bunch of Cain books on the shelves.
Well there's 3 other books out as well- Death or Glory, Duty Calls, Cain's Last Stand- which are being released as a second omnibus in october and a new novel to be released in December. So yeah, there's a fair few Ciaphas Cain books you've missed (and none of them are out of print).

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I have Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium, Death or Glory, Duty Calls and Cain's Last Stand. Though ill still get the upcoming omnibus Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium for the new short stories. Plus its a nice format.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
As far as I understood, Mike Lee is meant to be revisiting Malus Darkblade after he finishes doing the Nagash Stories for Time of Legends, whether that is still true I don't know as things change.

The reason I loved Malus is because he's kind of like Gotrek and Felix but actually gets battered a lot, he does win eventually but in the process has seven shades of **** kicked out of him where as Gotrek and Felix tend to blow through every, well Gotrek does at least.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Generally more interesting books (atleast to me) than Gotrek and Felix stories. Character is more complicated and love stories written from the other side. Mike Lee disappointed me on his HH novel, but Malus has been quite good after 2 novels.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the 2nd DA book is alot better than the first.

Way i see it he got a bit of a shit deal having to finish up on the DA's :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mea culpa, but I just can not get into Malus books. I tried -- actually bought both omnibuses -- but staggered through book one, then could not get through book two. Actually gave up and read instead Russell Kirkpatrick's Fire of Heaven trilogy. But that's another thread.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love this series though I seem to have misplaced my 3rd book. If it does continue the series I hope Mike Lee just does it by himself without Abnett. While I would like to see this series contineue there is much more I would rather see from Abnett like the Bequin trilogy and more gaunt books.

·
Registered
184 Posts
While I do love the Malus Darkblade books, I like the Gotrek and Felix novels more. Can't get better than Snorri and Malakai.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got bored with the G&F series pretty quickly.

I found there was alot more plot and twists in the malus books and that did appeal to me!

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I love this series though I seem to have misplaced my 3rd book. If it does continue the series I hope Mike Lee just does it by himself without Abnett. While I would like to see this series contineue there is much more I would rather see from Abnett like the Bequin trilogy and more gaunt books.
Dan Abnett doesn't write the Malus Darkblade novels, he just created the characters and broad plot-line of the comic books. Its Mike Lee that writes the novels and fleshes out the story,

·
Registered
184 Posts
My only problem with MD is that there are only 2 characters: Malus and the Daemon. All the good supporting characters got wasted in the first book...though some do make a later appearance, which made me happy. G & F never lacks for characters.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah But the ones that do come back have their own plot line!

Id rather have fewer characters with a more developed plot line than many with a little.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.