Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Malala at U.N.: Taliban failed to silence us - CNN.com

Malala, a young girl from the a region of Pakistan where the Taliban are dominant has come forward to the U.N and other world groups and made her struggle known to them. She supports the right of Children and Education everywhere She also fights for the rights of Women.

I honestly love this little girl because even after all that has happened to her she finds forgiveness for those who harmed her and fights for the right of Education for all children. That is something you just don't find in this world. She also fights for the rights of women in an area where women are mal-treated and abused. God Bless her, and I do hope she continues her work.

Thoughts, comments?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I only watched it once, and admittedly while multi-tasking, but I didn't get a forgiveness vibe. I think she sorta skirted the issue and avoided it by saying that they failed in stopping her thirst for education.

On one hand, I think she came off a bit strong to those who would stand in opposition to women being educated. On the other, I don't think that there's much "reasoning" with the opposition. It's not that they're evil, but it's something to do with their culture. It's been ingrained into them for their entire lives. It's like eating dog in the Western world. Yeah, there's nothing inherently wrong with dog meat but...it's dog meat, you know?

Same idea.

I don't think there'll be a peaceful way to end this conflict. Not unless we start playing the long game (like, 100+ years). You simply can't sway such strong cultural ideals. To see change, you have to wait for those people to pass away.

Even if we begin changing things now, I think it's too late for the current generation and probably THEIR children, too. This assumes we're able to start the boulder this generation, too.

Besides the peaceful choice, we can bring them kicking and screaming to the dinner table. They're not going to like it. We're not going to like doing it. Things would get done faster, assuming it works. Probably 40 or so years, I'd guess. The stakes are higher and the risks larger for this approach, though.

I'm feeling a little war-weary, personally. And I'm not involved with the military at all, so that's purely from a civilian's perspective. I say take the long road and let themselves sort it out...eventually.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
. It's been ingrained into them for their entire lives. It's like eating dog in the Western world. Yeah, there's nothing inherently wrong with dog meat but...it's dog meat, you know?
With all due respect hailene, if we took that approached to the Taliban they'd have blown us up years ago. I respect that fact you look beyond the obvious and see the facts behind the evil; it speaks well of your character. It's still evil though, similar to cursing the "F-Bomb." We do it, it's culturally accepted now-a-days, but it's still wrong.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1 - 5 of 5 Posts